Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-29-2015, 03:11 PM   #2541
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
There are some tank owners that would be better off with inflatable fish. Just tie them off with a bit of fishing line and that Emperor Angel becomes much easier to take care of. P-)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Yea but they would have to still clean the water and make sure the fish is properly inflated. Maybe just a 3D shadow box aquarium.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:38 PM   #2542
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Inflate my fish. That made me laugh,,.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:45 PM   #2543
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
There are some tank owners that would be better off with inflatable fish. Just tie them off with a bit of fishing line and that Emperor Angel becomes much easier to take care of. P-)
And this is why I can't turn my back on this tank with a clear conscience. Just a FYI, I don't make money here. It's enough to pay for my gas and tolls, and saltwater, but in the end I make probably 3 bucks an hour.....give or take. I don't even know for sure, it's been so long since I figured it out, but it's nothing, trust me. It's all about the fishies......
Old 03-29-2015, 08:52 PM   #2544
Aquarium Advice Addict

Doug , do you use the gym tank as an experimental tank for your home reef as in trying out new ideas,equipment! swapping out fish ,corals ,frags etc or is it just a 100% isolated endeavor?

Old 03-29-2015, 09:14 PM   #2545
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Not really Dary, but I'll take whatever I want. If I need a nice piece of Valida or something, I'll grab it, but I don't do anything ridiculous. I just do what I feel is best. I replace some things here and there with others, but things I think will work. For example, recently I removed some majano covered rocks and put in a rock with a 10x10" browned out stunner chalice on it, which immediately colored up and started consuming real estate. I figure, it might block out the light for some of those majanos....
How I got the stunner was by trading a nice frag of the valida to another guy. They don't mind, and they don't even notice. They really got excited about their dragonet addition today though-
https://www.facebook.com/AnuFitnessC...type=1&theater
Honestly, if I still lived around the corner, I wouldn't mind at all, because they are good folks and it's a nice gym.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:44 PM   #2546
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Not really Dary, but I'll take whatever I want. If I need a nice piece of Valida or something, I'll grab it, but I don't do anything ridiculous. I just do what I feel is best. I replace some things here and there with others, but things I think will work. For example, recently I removed some majano covered rocks and put in a rock with a 10x10" browned out stunner chalice on it, which immediately colored up and started consuming real estate. I figure, it might block out the light for some of those majanos....
How I got the stunner was by trading a nice frag of the valida to another guy. They don't mind, and they don't even notice. They really got excited about their dragonet addition today though-
https://www.facebook.com/AnuFitnessC...type=1&theater
Honestly, if I still lived around the corner, I wouldn't mind at all, because they are good folks and it's a nice gym.

It's a beautiful creature for sure but aren't they a rather difficult fish to Maintain? .. Especially if you're not there every day to keep an eye on things , Also if memory serves me right didn't you buy a filefish awhile back to eat some of the majano that was in your tank? If so how did that work out ?

Old 03-31-2015, 04:37 PM   #2547
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok ,..I gotta step up on the soap box for a minute ,... Granted the aquarium business doesn't make national headlines or even the back page of your local newspaper But it is a multi, multi ,million dollar business with millions of followers,.. Something I was thinking about this morning while doing my pwc was salt mixes and how they vary from one brand to another and one bucket to another as far as calcium,alk,mag etc goes ,..Some are exceedingly high in calcium yet dreadfully low in alk etc etc,..while others are just the opposite .Why isn't there a regulation somewhat like gasoline which says that regular gas must have an octane of 87 and premium must have a minimum octane of 91 ? So say regular salt must have a minimum percentage of the basic ingredients and " reef" grade salt mixes must also have a rating which is actually in reality more in lines of what's actually needed such as alk should be say 8 and calcium around 400 or so as a starting point before it can be labeled " reef" grade salt.
We're paying top dollar for a premium grade of salt , $50-60 -70 -80 dollars a bucket and yet the out of bucket parameters on a lot of mixes aren't even up to reef minimums ,... Maybe it is already regulated but if it is whoever is in charge needs to find a new line of work,... I realize that salt is basically scooped out of a underground cavern and it seems that what they scoop I'd what you get no matter what's in it ,.... My thoughts ,right or wrong , would be to have them say scoop out a 25 ton batch mix it and have it tested and add calcium or whatever is needed to bring it up to the basic real life standards ,... Yes I know there's a little label on it bucket that says what it's "supposed " to be , but in reality it seems that it never lives up to its label .
I guess in the long run nothing will change and we'll keep BRS in business with all the additives needed to keep our reefs up and thriving . Just my two cents :-/

Old 03-31-2015, 04:43 PM   #2548
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

We live in a complicated world where some regulations are way too little for the potential for disaster they represent. And with budget cuts, there isn't enough people to enforce the regulations we have. Our new free for all society would not be interested in protecting our investments by regulating salt mixes. We are on our own.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 03-31-2015, 07:01 PM   #2549
Aquarium Advice Addict

Dary, totally agree with your frustration, however, the way things seem to work today I would be afraid that the regulation would be written by those we want regulated. And that seems like a disaster waiting to happen. Maybe it's a little short sighted on my part but it seems that nothing travels faster than bad news/reviews/etc. if everyone started using these forums and other media to boycott the worst offenders, maybe all of them would stand up and take notice. A hit to that bottom line usually works first time every time.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:22 PM   #2550
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Dary's tank!

For years I used one salt and still do. I add some pre measured soda ash (sodium carbonate) and/or calcium to tune it to my needs. I know how much it takes for each 200 gallon batch so I only need to test it once every few months to see if that run of salt is still where I expect it to be.
Works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com