Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-31-2015, 07:54 PM   #2551
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
For years I used one salt and still do. I add some pre measured soda ash (sodium carbonate) and/or calcium to tune it to my needs. I know how much it takes for each 200 gallon batch so I only need to test it once every few months to see if that run of salt is still where I expect it to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
,.But you shouldn't have to do that ,... It should already have been taken care of BEFORE you get it home , ... You go to the gas station and buy some "unregulated " 91 octane premium gas for your expensive muscle car and you pay the higher price only to find that they've only given you 81 octane gas ( despite what the pump says ) which doesn't run anything ,..so you have to go to the auto store and buy some octane booster out of your own pocket just to get it up to specs ,...just doesn't make any sense .

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Old 03-31-2015, 07:57 PM   #2552
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dary421 View Post
It's a beautiful creature for sure but aren't they a rather difficult fish to Maintain? .. Especially if you're not there every day to keep an eye on things , Also if memory serves me right didn't you buy a filefish awhile back to eat some of the majano that was in your tank? If so how did that work out ?
This is the perfect tank for a Mandarin. It's so loaded with pods I feel bad every time I clean the glass. There's nothing in the tank that eats them either. They aren't difficult to care for as long as you can feed them.
I bought a file for aptasia, and I never saw it eat a single one. It did chew on some LPS from time to time, but that's about it.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:08 PM   #2553
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
This is the perfect tank for a Mandarin. It's so loaded with pods I feel bad every time I clean the glass. There's nothing in the tank that eats them either. They aren't difficult to care for as long as you can feed them.
I bought a file for aptasia, and I never saw it eat a single one. It did chew on some LPS from time to time, but that's about it.

lol,... I was thinking about getting a file fish based on their reputation for eating aptasias but maybe they will only eat em if there's nothing else to eat ,..kind of like a kid with Brussels sprouts .
Glad the Mandarin is well taken care of ,... Figured you wouldn't do it any harm.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:11 PM   #2554
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Dary's tank!

Since I am angry much of the time (guess it's my nature) I try to save my wrath for stuff I am truly appalled by. But that list has no business on a aquarium forum.

My understanding was the major salt packagers did test each batch and adjust for alk/cal. It might not be what you want it to be, but it's suppose to be consistent. If you see a major variance in the same batch or between batches, the packager isn't doing their job. Also complain to the company, it works sometimes.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:42 PM   #2555
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMonster View Post
Dary, totally agree with your frustration, however, the way things seem to work today I would be afraid that the regulation would be written by those we want regulated. And that seems like a disaster waiting to happen. Maybe it's a little short sighted on my part but it seems that nothing travels faster than bad news/reviews/etc. if everyone started using these forums and other media to boycott the worst offenders, maybe all of them would stand up and take notice. A hit to that bottom line usually works first time every time.

Hey Sean,.. Well put ,.. Dary is now stepping off the soap ( salt ) box , unless someone fires me back up again,... Otherwise All's good here,..bro al from Florida will be here on the 8 th for a three week visit, the local liquor stores will prob take a massive beer hit ,... Planning on taking him on our shop's private yellowtail fishing charter on the 20 th too.
My tank is doing very well right now ,.. Even my little coral crab is doing well,..he's got a little hideout in the coral and rarely moves more than an inch from that crevice , home sweet home .

Old 03-31-2015, 09:02 PM   #2556
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Wonderful! Have fun!

Old 03-31-2015, 10:42 PM   #2557
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like a blast Dary. Tip a few for me.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:30 PM   #2558
Aquarium Advice Addict

Greg,.. So how exactly did you figure out just how much additives to add to your dry salt mix before mixing with water?

Old 04-03-2015, 06:39 PM   #2559
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Dary's tank!

I mixed it as per directions and then test it, my batch is 25 gallons each exchange. Use the BRS calculator and add half as much alk/cal/mg as recommended to hit your desired levels. Test to see how close you got, then add half that amount again. Retest and you should be real close to your personal tastes. Tweek as necessary and take note how much of each dry additive was used. That dose should be accurate thru the remaining 200 gallons. Requires some testing but you end up with exactly what you want. That's what happens with Instant Ocean vs Reef Crystals, same exact salt, but RC gets punched up with additional calcium and is ground differently.

I could also recommend buying salt in bulk all from the same run. Then your tests will be good thru that run. Salt while sealed never goes bad.

They are suppose to do this at the factory, evidently there is some evidence this isn't happening reliably with some brands.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:39 PM   #2560
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
I mixed it as per directions and then test it, my batch is 25 gallons each exchange. Use the BRS calculator and add half as much alk/cal/mg as recommended to hit your desired levels. Test to see how close you got, then add half that amount again. Retest and you should be real close to your personal tastes. Tweek as necessary and take note how much of each dry additive was used. That dose should be accurate thru the remaining 200 gallons. Requires some testing but you end up with exactly what you want. That's what happens with Instant Ocean vs Reef Crystals, same exact salt, but RC gets punched up with additional calcium and is ground differently.

I could also recommend buying salt in bulk all from the same run. Then your tests will be good thru that run. Salt while sealed never goes bad.

They are suppose to do this at the factory, evidently there is some evidence this isn't happening reliably with some brands.

Thank you greg ,.. This kind of gives me a couple of ideas on how to do mine ,.. I usually use the pre made liquids so I think I'll just start making up my weekly batch of new saltwater but before adding it to the tank I'll add the necessary amount of ca/ alk / mag to bring the parameters up to my tanks values . I know what you're going to say,..buy the dry bulk stuff from Brs ,.. (I have a cabinet full of it ) but I like the premade stuff better , yes, greg I know it's more expensive but that's just the way Dary rolls ( :-/) ,... I hate when you're trying to keep all your parameters stable and you then add your new " reef grade " salt mix with super low alk etc and it throws everything off .
Thanks for the tip.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com