Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-19-2011, 12:16 PM   #261
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote
You can end up with too many. They go into growing spurts I started with a few dozen and now have hundreds. They cover most of my rock surfaces that dont have other coral on it. The other corals tolerate them well.
Yeah..., I'm backing down on the mushrooms and trying other corals instead.., I figured maybe sooner or later they may multiply so I'm letting them be to see what will happen on their own

Old 08-19-2011, 01:19 PM   #262
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

When conditions are right, they take off. What is weird is that mine took off one time when I was at the end of life on some MH bulbs. They liked the softer spectrum you get when the bulbs get old. Nothing else liked it at all, but the shrooms spread like wild fire.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:10 PM   #263
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote
When conditions are right, they take off. What is weird is that mine took off one time when I was at the end of life on some MH bulbs. They liked the softer spectrum you get when the bulbs get old. Nothing else liked it at all, but the shrooms spread like wild fire.
Kinda hard to figure what goes on with these critters,....when I changed out a couple of my old T5 bulbs for some new ati blue plus bulbs,.the mushrooms did not seem to like it at all,...now under the LED's they absolutely love them,..everything is big and robust,...the blue mushrooms are now blue instead of being purple,...my superman's look like they were suppose to be , orange and blue,,, etc,.. Except for that one rock with some greenies on it,...I think I'll try and relocate it some where else to see if that'll change things....however,..yesterday at my new lfs ,..I did see my new tank that I want to buy,...a plexiglas glass 135, with overflows where ever you want the manufacturer to put them.... I guess I'll have to start up a new piggy bank and see what I can do,.....it'll be awhile I'm sure but,....I have a feeling that sooner or later I'll get it.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:55 PM   #264
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dary421 View Post
Yeah..., I'm backing down on the mushrooms and trying other corals instead.., I figured maybe sooner or later they may multiply so I'm letting them be to see what will happen on their own
So does this mean you're gonna but another tank and do a new build thread? So you can have more shrooms and coral.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:31 AM   #265
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy

So does this mean you're gonna but another tank and do a new build thread? So you can have more shrooms and coral.
Yes.., kinda.., I may try to transfer the contents of this tank into the new one once I get it.., but it'll have to wait until after I get back from my vacation in Hawaii.., it'll be quite a messy procedure but it'll be worth it in the long run... Then I can buy more mushrooms etc. all ready have about 2/3's the $$ put aside and sump already purchased so I think it's coming ( October)...
Old 08-21-2011, 07:09 PM   #266
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I wanna go to Hawaii too...how come you getta go and I don't. I love that place.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:24 PM   #267
Aquarium Advice Addict

[QUOTE="Gregcoyote"]I wanna go to Hawaii too...how come you getta go and I don't. I love that place.[/QUOTE

..... Re.Hawaii,..God got it right on this build......
Old 08-21-2011, 08:16 PM   #268
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Since this is the "official" mushroom thread I thought I'd post the one I got today. I was told it was a Yuma but it's huge. lol

Can you clarify if thats what it is dary? You are the in house shroom expert lol
Thanks so much!!'
Old 08-21-2011, 09:11 PM   #269
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
Since this is the "official" mushroom thread I thought I'd post the one I got today. I was told it was a Yuma but it's huge. lol

Can you clarify if thats what it is dary? You are the in house shroom expert lol
Thanks so much!!'
Well,..lol,..I'm far far away from being an expert on anything let alone mushrooms ,but I'd say it's a " ricordea " for sure,..but wether it's an actual " Yuma" is probably up to who's selling it,...it seems like all these ricordea's vary so much in color and intensities than it's kinda hard to tell right upfront what it is,...I was going to order a Yuma awhile back but they were so pricey compared to some of the florida ricordeas that I kinda backed off and bought some of the Florida ones instead... Maybe mike ,doug or Greg ( the "real" mushroom guys) could further I'd them,... But regardless they look pretty cool,....from what I understand they will grow larger than their cousins in Florida ,.... My ricordeas really intensified their colors under the led lighting ... Glad to see you join the clan of the mushrooms,... I'll get some more mushrooms and some different ones that I don't presently own yet after I get my new tank up and running in a month or two,... Maybe I'll get a " Yuma" also and we can compare notes. :- )
Old 08-21-2011, 09:16 PM   #270
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

This is my fourth or fifth mushroom. I LOVE these things. The guy had some ricordias but they were so tiny i passed on them. I wanna out a whole bunch in my new tank. I have a huge colony in my 125 and they keep dropping and landing in new places....LOL

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com