Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
needmorecowbell said:
Lol I understand, I only know the name of 1 of my zoas.

Lol..I'm lucky to remember the names of my brothers !!!! ... I ordered another wall hammer coral to replace the one that was killed by the falling rock.., it's all but gone at this point.., I'll still be looking for another neon green one like I had but finding another one like that might take some time ...... But other than that.., alls well.

The ups truck just dropped off my new coral order... My replacement wall hammer and a yellow and purple Australian scroll coral....I Will take additional pictures after they settle in ...for now ., it's just the bags a floating .. :)

Attachments

• image-876834345.jpg
    image-876834345.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 153
  • image-1062612972.jpg
    image-1062612972.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 114
  • image-730569128.jpg
    image-730569128.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 130
Buffy said:
Wow, looks huge in the bag. Where did you order from?

I've been using extreme corals... Lots of wild stuff , wysiwyg .... Plus free shipping on orders $150 +

on my way home from work today I stopped by my lfs and purchased some more of the " man made Rock " that I like so much,...on the left hand side of my aquarium was the one area that needed some attention,...kinda like your mini garbage dump in your back yard where you put things that you really don't know what to do with,...in my case it was time for a urban renewal project,..I had a Kenya tree there that was sending off offspring like there was no tomorrow ,it was one of my first corals and probably my last Kenya tree I'll have in my tank.
To this area I added another pedestal type arraignment utilizing the twenty pounds of newly acquired rock I had just purchased,..kinda looks like It belonged there in the first place.
I guess everyone's tank is a little different than everyone's else's as far as growing corals go,..for some reason I seem to do be doing very well lately with wall hammers ,bubbles , echinophllia's and monti's ,..I guess maybe its kinda like growing vegetables in your garden,..some people can grow corn and some people can't and who knows why.... So to add a little color and glare to my former back yard dump I've ordered two new bubble corals,..(a whitish blue and a neon yellow ) and another echinophyllia coral to brighten things up over there,..the big brown truck is due tomorrow and I can't wait to start the new garden,..hope All's well with everyone,...Dary

There is a balancing act going on, some time my mushroom crop is winning sometimes it's something else. My Kenya tree isn't allowed to get very big because of the aggressive corals bordering it. I made an estimate from a photo the other day, I have over 1000 mushrooms in the reef, that I can see. They rule the roost. My challenge is now to get everyone to live together, almost impossible as my specimens come from all over the world.

Gregcoyote said:
There is a balancing act going on, some time my mushroom crop is winning sometimes it's something else. My Kenya tree isn't allowed to get very big because of the aggressive corals bordering it. I made an estimate from a photo the other day, I have over 1000 mushrooms in the reef, that I can see. They rule the roost. My challenge is now to get everyone to live together, almost impossible as my specimens come from all over the world.

Yep,...after seeing your tank o shroons I'd believe it,...you've done well grasshopper.

Gregcoyote said:

Whoah, just checked it out on your photo gallery, that's a lot. It must take days to frag lol.

Well can't wait for the new pics when it's all "done" Darys Tank is my favorite show lol much more interesting then tv everything looks great this far good work!!!

I have started to sell off rocks full of shrooms and anthelia which I can also seem to grow like celery. If only my SPS corals grew this fast, but the abundance of all the softies don't help the SPS corals much. Only took 45 years of practice, the last 30 in saltwater...I still can barely remember the names of the most common corals. My son, who is also in the hobby has a girl friend that is a biologist and just came back from Thailand where they were transplanting corals. They make me feel like an idiot, but I am the engineer and can make water flow...so there you go.

Dary, I am taking the plunge and setting up a 55 gallon trigger fish tank and a 40 gallon fragging table, will show pictures this winter of the install in my basement fish room. These won't be for public display, but just for the family as the fish room isn't where you take visitors. I want a nice trigger and have room to get serious about frags. Will run it all off the main system, so shouldn't be too hard. Making room is going to be the real challenge. I plan in a few years to move to a new house on our farm we have at which time I have already drawn up plans for a 1000 gallon system that will use some natural light as seen on other posts here. I want to use LEDs on track lights that move, such as in a hydro setup, along with light tube technology for some daylight supplemental lighting. Business has to be pretty good for all this to happen, but you gotta have your dreams. Your tank is looking splendid, sorry about the wall hammer.

Lol my biology teacher makes me feel like an idiot too. I asked her about hydroids because I saw them in my tank and she gave me a whole lesson on them. It was inspiring but also intimidating haha.

Gregcoyote said:
I have started to sell off rocks full of shrooms and anthelia which I can also seem to grow like celery. If only my SPS corals grew this fast, but the abundance of all the softies don't help the SPS corals much. Only took 45 years of practice, the last 30 in saltwater...I still can barely remember the names of the most common corals. My son, who is also in the hobby has a girl friend that is a biologist and just came back from Thailand where they were transplanting corals. They make me feel like an idiot, but I am the engineer and can make water flow...so there you go.

Dary, I am taking the plunge and setting up a 55 gallon trigger fish tank and a 40 gallon fragging table, will show pictures this winter of the install in my basement fish room. These won't be for public display, but just for the family as the fish room isn't where you take visitors. I want a nice trigger and have room to get serious about frags. Will run it all off the main system, so shouldn't be too hard. Making room is going to be the real challenge. I plan in a few years to move to a new house on our farm we have at which time I have already drawn up plans for a 1000 gallon system that will use some natural light as seen on other posts here. I want to use LEDs on track lights that move, such as in a hydro setup, along with light tube technology for some daylight supplemental lighting. Business has to be pretty good for all this to happen, but you gotta have your dreams. Your tank is looking splendid, sorry about the wall hammer.

... Kinda like no matter how fast you think you are there's somebody faster,...I'll be looking forward to seeing your next build,...a thousand gallon tank,..wow... That'll be alot of made up water for your PWC's ! ,...I'm sure you've got everything figured out or at least running thru your mind,... Is this tank going to be another curvy acrylic tank or are you going more traditional??
On your triggerfish tank,..only 55 gallons ?? That seems kinda small,..why not a 90-125-180 gallon tank ?
You guys really start to lose me when you start talking about all the inner parameters and wave lengths on lighting,.I follow for awhile and then I'm lost,....but...I'm soooooo glad I bought the led's that I did ,...everything in my tank responds great to them,..I don't care what anybody says,..I think the people who bad mouth them have never owned a good set yet.
I just got my new corals in and they're floating in the tank as we speak,..as far as dreams go,..I never ever thought I could own and maintain a reef tank full of exotic corals,..but after being here on the forum everyday and trying to listen and learn from the best ,..well,...I think I finally cracked opened the door.,..every time I log on here I seem to learn something new. ,i realize that Ive got a long road ahead of me in this hobby but I sure am enjoying the ride,.....what kind of dimensions to you envision for your new tank?

ryan-peddle said:
Well can't wait for the new pics when it's all "done" Darys Tank is my favorite show lol much more interesting then tv everything looks great this far good work!!!

Thank you Ryan, but I don't think you are a well man....( just kidding ).... Glad you've pulled up a seat ,..Im kinda anxious to see how this show turns out myself,

That would be Cool. The whole natural sunlight thing would scare me though. I just hate algae. Think about cleaning the tank!

Wow, i haven't viewed your thread in a while Dary. I think it's time to change the name of it. Looks great! That sucks about the trigger. What will you end up doing with him?

Back
Top Bottom