Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-16-2015, 05:06 PM   #2951
Aquarium Advice Addict

... So today I talked to Mike at the aquarium shop , he told me that their supplier had the skimmer I wanted in stock , he just wanted to verify that everything was cool and wether to get it or not ,... After careful consideration and a nice cold beer I decided to go for it ,... Wow ,...kinda exciting ,... Suddenly I. Feel like Greg with his new monster skimmer ,..My mcr skimmer is a external skimmer and this new one will have to fit inside my sump or I'll have to add a new section to it and overflow into the sump ,...hmmmmm ,... Either way I have a couple of days to figure everything out and do it.
With mikes schedule vs my schedule we have decided that I'll pick up the new beast on Wednesday after work ,... Like a little kid at xmas I can't wait ,.... We never really change ,its just that our toys become a lot more expensive and we have to pay for them by ourselves ,..either way ol'dary is excited.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Old 10-16-2015, 05:25 PM   #2952
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I certainly don't regret going from a recirculating skimmer to my Vertex 300. I had to redesign my sump as it needs 10" of water. The self cleaning system seems to work well and it's pulling coffee colored skim out of the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 10-16-2015, 07:16 PM   #2953
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
I certainly don't regret going from a recirculating skimmer to my Vertex 300. I had to redesign my sump as it needs 10" of water. The self cleaning system seems to work well and it's pulling coffee colored skim out of the water.

Hopefully ,I'll have the same results with my new little monster ,... I also decided to go back to mixing my own Alk and calcium supplements via the BRS sodium bicarbonate and the calcium chloride ,.( which I already had anyways ) . It'll be so much cheaper in the long run than buying the premixed solutions, and at least I'll know each batch is consistent .
Old 10-16-2015, 10:28 PM   #2954
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

That's what I've done for a long time. But I also believe in the use of kalkwasser. So I don't dose as much cal.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:57 AM   #2955
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've been using topic marine pro reef Salt for quite a while now and for my tank, I dose a lot of Alk but just a tiny bit of calcium to keep the levels up ,..I think on my next purchase I'll just go with their regular Salt mix and see where that takes me .... From my understanding it'll be better and a little cheaper .
On our last couple of visits to kona ,right outside the condo we watch theses kids throwing out their round little weighted casting nets ,...it's amazing just how little time it takes them to fill a five gallon bucket full of tangs ,wrasses etc using that method,... I guess if you had an aquarium there restocking it it would be pretty easy , but if you lived there why would you need an aquarium anyways ?
One day I was in the back of our condo when I heard some loud voices, I quickly went out to the lanai and found my girl friend Laura looking down at this local kid from our lanai and telling him he better NOT be catching ANY humuhumu's !!! The look of shear terror in this kid's eyes as he looked up was priceless !!!! We never saw him again lol.

Old 10-20-2015, 04:12 PM   #2956
Aquarium Advice Addict

Dary's tank!

Cool news .... Mike from my lfs called me yesterday to tell me that the dealer did not have a "new " protein skimmers that I wanted in stock however they had a " display " model that had a tiny little scratch on it ( and I mean tiny ) and wanted to know if I wanted that unit at a considerable discount , 100 % under warranty ,100 % functional etc etc,.... Ahhhhhhh yeaaaaah ,... So being today was my day off anyways I drove down to mikes and got the skimmer ,...whoa,...so far really impressive , being a dc pump you're able to dial down the flow etc ,which is totally cool if you're doing your pwc ,feeding or using chemicals etc so the skimmer doesn't go nuts and overflows ,.... This unit uses a jeboa pump which looks like it really kicks butt making a massive Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445368255.021527.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	279484Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445368281.637806.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	279485Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445368306.508064.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	279486Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445368324.925214.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	279487Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445368350.276942.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	279488head of foam ,... Mike said he's good friends with the rep so replacement parts if ever necessary aren't an issue ., the lfs has been using these units for quite a while now to skim all their tanks and they haven't missed a beat yet,...so far I'm very, very pleased with the purchase ,... The normal price was something like $570 and I ended up getting it for $419..... Rated for 500 gallons and extremely quiet .

Old 10-20-2015, 07:08 PM   #2957
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Seaside Aquatics? I got one of these for a friend. He likes it thus far, but it's his first skimmer besides a seaclone.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:11 PM   #2958
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Nice score!
I haven't had any problems with jeboa in 3 years now(knock on wood).
Really looks like a beast of a skimmer like.
Tom/rambandit
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:16 PM   #2959
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Seaside Aquatics? I got one of these for a friend. He likes it thus far, but it's his first skimmer besides a seaclone.

Yes it is a ev6 dc ,.... Seems pretty cool so far !

Old 10-20-2015, 07:17 PM   #2960
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
Nice score!
I haven't had any problems with jeboa in 3 years now(knock on wood).
Really looks like a beast of a skimmer like.

Nice to hear !! Thanks coral bandit

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com