Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-16-2015, 08:58 AM   #3081
Aquarium Advice Addict

My 90 and 180 reefs are pretty set. Will most likely spend money on plants for the 60 gallon cube, freshwater live plant tank I just set up.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Old 12-17-2015, 03:54 PM   #3082
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not too sure if anyone outside the hobby would even attempt buying a gift for a dedicated reefer,... I'm not even too sure of anything else in the near future that I'm looking at equipment wise ,.. Always a safe bet would be beer :-/ somehow that seems to go well with pwc's , cleaning up the glass and building projects ,.... I truly hope everyone has a great xmas and Santa comes thru for you In a big way ,.. enjoy the family , friends and the holidays !!!

Old 12-17-2015, 08:21 PM   #3083
Aquarium Advice Addict

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours Dary. Gift cards are the way to go!!

Old 12-18-2015, 08:46 AM   #3084
Aquarium Advice Addict

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and your Family Dary. I hope you get something nice. Gift cards are the best if your not sure what to get someone. My Husband said he would give me $100.00 but not sure what I'm going to get with it yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 12-18-2015, 08:40 PM   #3085
Aquarium Advice Addict

A question for Greg or anyone who runs a ats ,... Usually during the summer months my aquarium uses somewhere in the neighborhood of 5-8 gals of top off water in a week,... Since the winter has started and the nite time temps in San Diego have dropped to the high20's to low 40's combined with the daytime highs in the mid 60's ,I have done two things , reconnected my heater to give my tank a constant temp of 78 degrees and the addition of my new turf scrubber.
Since then my top off water has risen to 10-15 gals a week ,... The salinity has stayed at 1.026 so it's all in evaporation I would imagine.
Does the ats really cause such a high rate of evaporation or is there something I'm missing here ?

Old 12-19-2015, 12:46 AM   #3086
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know here in Upstate NY I notice evaporation increase in the winter due to the lack of humidity. I also have a higher rate of evaporation in the heart of the summer since my central air is running thus lowering the humidity. Those in between seasons when I don't need much heat or AC I notice it drops. Having no frame of reference for the West Coast (furthest west I've been is Denver) I'm not sure if this helps.

Old 12-19-2015, 03:51 AM   #3087
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

It does increase evaporation and gas exchange as the surface area in the ATS is pretty significant. But that evaporation also cools the water so the lights don't seem to heat the system up much at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 12-19-2015, 07:36 AM   #3088
Aquarium Advice Addict

thank you guys,.... i appreciate the replies
Old 12-19-2015, 02:28 PM   #3089
Aquarium Advice Freak

I always found evaporation rates to be higher in the winter for my tank. I think it's driven by vapor pressure, water temp, and relative humidity. If you never noticed this in previous winters I am guessing it could be the ATS.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 12-19-2015, 02:52 PM   #3090
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

This is my first winter with my ATS. I have seen no increase in evaporation. I'm always about 1.5 gallons evaporating off of the 55 system a day during the winter due to the dry heat. When the heater isn't running, it is sometimes under a gallon.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com