Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
needmorecowbell said:
Lol it makes me feel pretty wimpy with my 30 gallon haha. Luckily I can reach it without struggle.

Now I'm starting to feel a little under gunned with my 135..... But luckily, I can still reach the bottom with my monkey like arms

Last edited:
I started saltwater with a 55 gallon reef, and before that hundreds (yes, hundreds) of fresh water tanks, so I have been there. I guess it's like gardening, if you get okay at it, you want a bigger one...

As a kid I grew up in hospital waiting rooms. There wasn't any good television in those days (I didn't think so anyways) and almost all hospitals had a fish tank in the pediatric wards for kids like me that needed to think about something else besides pain and fear. That's where it all started over 50 years ago.

I still zen out on the fish tank and while I don't deal with as much pain as I did when I was a kid, I still find myself using it to relax. MUCH cheaper than a shrink and it works. So, bigger must be better, right?

I think I might order one. The replacement devices that do the monitoring last a month and cost under 10. It keeps you from ever having calibration problems and the whole thing is under $200. I have always avoided controllers and programmable LEDs because I am too cheap to lay out the bread. But I want to see my reef parameters on my iPad and this looks like it might do the trick. The trick it does with PAR and lumens is pretty cool by itself. I youtubed it.

That's a really cool device. I wouldnt have much uses for it because my tank is quite low tech but for you it would be great.

I may get one, they sell them at my lfs, if I do, I'll report back with any findings.

For a hundred quid it's worth a punt.

Interesting. How can they sell this so cheap when the apogee meter is well over 300? Please report your findings when compared to the one you have Greg.

Yeah I'm interested in this too, it's too bad the apex isn't capable of keeping track of your parameters like. Or it would be neat if they would sell an upgraded version of the seneye to become a controller .

Hey guys where do u buy this thing that's not overseas. Live in Ontario, not at any of my usually online places

Sqasnatch said:
Yeah I'm interested in this too, it's too bad the apex isn't capable of keeping track of your parameters like. Or it would be neat if they would sell an upgraded version of the seneye to become a controller .

I don't want a controller, I want a on line monitor and this might do the trick.

mr_X said:
Interesting. How can they sell this so cheap when the apogee meter is well over 300? Please report your findings when compared to the one you have Greg.

I don't know...but my PAR meter is never here, it is always out on loan. I like this one because it stays in the tank and shows the trend of PAR over the months. In general, the PAR meters are vastly overpriced. There are just a couple of components to one. If you want to do the calculation, a regular light meter with the proper filter will do the job. But they are generally not water proof. How bad can it be for $189?

Sqasnatch said:
Hey guys where do u buy this thing that's not overseas. Live in Ontario, not at any of my usually online places

They sell it right off their web site...haven't seen it discounted anywhere. There is one on E-bay, but he is getting full retail on his auction, so they are sought after.

Just harvested the algae scrubber and am feeding the tangs the green algae mats I harvested. Now that's a closed cycle! They like this stuff almost as much as the Nori. My tangs never grew very fast and I am suspecting I didn't feed them enough greens, so I have doubled the amounts and twice as often. They all have big bellies now, so we will see what happens.

It's an old concept but best described by dr. Addy at the smithsonian in his book algal turf scrubbing systems. The basic idea is to tie up organics in the production of algae and then refeed or dispose of the excess algae. Water from a dump bucket flows over racks that are under intense illumination (much more PAR than reef tank gets) and causes turf algae to grow (at night opposite of the reefs bio clock) and this algae strips the water of organics. Kind of what happens in your reef when you over feed, but I do it intentionally. This is a very natural way to clean the water and has few downsides except it takes up room. I added one touch, at the end of my scrubber is about 2 square feet of pulsing Xenia that misses nothing as it passes by. The surge of water from the dump bucket system causes it to pulse like mad and reproduces in a nicely controlled environment.

mr_X said:
About the meter- if you leave it in the tank, won't the probe get coated with algae?

I am sure you have to clean off the lens, maybe daily. The cell that does the monitoring is replaced monthly...so there is some maintenance to the thing. Why don't you buy one and report back...I am not fond of being the guinea pig! I have to wait until next month as the new frags I bought took out my monthly fish budget.

Back
Top Bottom