Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-19-2015, 03:53 PM   #3091
Aquarium Advice Addict

Interesting views regarding the increase in evaporation,... Never really thought about the humidity in the air etc , as Greg says the overall surface area of the ats is kind of large leading to an increase of evaporation too , I've always had roughly the same amount of ato water going on in summer and winter for the last 5 years or so but suddenly it really shot up , I guess "it is what it is " and as long as the salinity stays on track it's ok .
I'm currently making a secondary 5 gal water container equipped with a ball valve that'll sit above the current container and will feed into it,..a twist of the valve and that'll refill the main container back up .,I think that'll make life a little easier at 2:45 am when I ck things out before heading to work .

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Old 12-19-2015, 03:57 PM   #3092
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Be sure you don't have a leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 12-19-2015, 04:14 PM   #3093
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Be sure you don't have a leak.

Checking that out as we speak ,...so far thumbs up !!!

Old 12-21-2015, 09:18 AM   #3094
Aquarium Advice Addict

Dary's tank!

[[/ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1450703724.931590.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	282331Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1450703744.717622.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	282332
It's a little crude but effective .... Saves having to wrestle with a five gallon container and a funnel at 2:45 am ... No leaks

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1450703708.020041.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	282330  
Old 12-21-2015, 01:06 PM   #3095
Aquarium Advice Addict

Very nifty!

Old 12-23-2015, 12:20 PM   #3096
Aquarium Advice Addict

I decided that I needed something aquarium wise for Xmas that I could get for myself ,... I've always liked the skimmer overflow canisters so I looked into one that would suit my new skimmer setup , at brs they have a reef octopus overflow canister that has a twist to it , it actually has a outlet that your skimmer plugs into and delays your skimmer startup for 5/7 minutes after a power outage ,that lets your tank and sump return the water level back to normal before the skimmer kicks in thus preventing the skimmer from going nuts due to a high water level in the sump ( if that's where your skimmer is ) , with my skimmer setup l have mine isolated into its separate barrel that maintains a constant level so that would not come into play for me , however the feature that I do like is that once the canister is filled up with waste water wether from Normal everyday usage or from one of those unforeseen overflows caused by chemicals or whatever sets them off , it'll actually shuts the skimmer off via a float valve ,.. That's pretty cool , so if you have an overflow while on vacation or at work you'll come home to a dry floor or a non overflowing skimmer .
It also has a charcoal filter built into the top of it to keep the house from smelling like old crabs at low tide . They come in two sizes and are rather pricey but what isn't in the aquarium world ? I elected to get the larger of two size for my system.
A man and his toys ,thank you Santa

Old 12-23-2015, 01:52 PM   #3097
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Sounds nice, especially the auto-shutoff feature.
I rigged my DIY skimmer up with a collection bottle and an overflow line that runs back into the sump. It has worked flawlessly so far. Since the skimmer is about 6' tall, the pressure makes sure it will flow through the collection set-up and at that height it is right at the head pressure limit of the pump feeding it, so it can't overflow the cup.
I also put a carbon thing on the top.

One thing I have wondered about and one reason the auto shut-off on the unit you are getting is great. In the event of a skimmer gone wild, you also run the risk of having the ATO kick in and lower the salinity.
With my setup the most water that could ever be removed is one quart, but in a setup where the skimmer could dump gallons out of the system, that could be disastrous.
you go on vacation and come back not only to a flooded floor, but a burned out ATO pump and possibly dead brackish water tank as well.
worst case extreme scenario of course, but I do wonder how you guys manage that if you worry about it at all.

any thoughts anyone?
Old 12-23-2015, 02:03 PM   #3098
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's exactly another reason I liked this setup ,...I remember one day my old bubble magus went nuts for some reason and overfilled the collection container which was outside the sump ,..needless to say that was a messy situation ,it also as you said dumped in five gallons of ato water mixed with kalk into the display tank to make up for losing that much water

Old 12-23-2015, 05:06 PM   #3099
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Just ordered it for $199. Got the 6" model. Didn't even know they made something like this, thx Dary.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:37 PM   #3100
Aquarium Advice Addict

I got the same one ,...we can compare notes down the line

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com