Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
needmorecowbell said:
And great responsibility. Lol sorry couldn't help help myself. Haven't used a spiderman quote in years.

Suddenly you guys are making me feel like " master po" from kung fu..... Thank you grasshopper

Just a few pictures from this morning showing that most everything is starting to resettle in again.... The lavender hairy mushroom colony has decided to start to climb up the rock face., trying to take the pictures via iphone and under the led's really doesn't show the colors but you'll get the idea anyhow .. :-/

Attachments

• image-1148755192.jpg
    image-1148755192.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 84
  • image-3809848711.jpg
    image-3809848711.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 70
  • image-3408941915.jpg
    image-3408941915.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 86
  • image-4076537139.jpg
    image-4076537139.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 81
  • image-2812164989.jpg
    image-2812164989.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 82
  • image-4048195564.jpg
    image-4048195564.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 77
  • image-698857340.jpg
    image-698857340.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 96
  • image-27268115.jpg
    image-27268115.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 77
  • image-673241147.jpg
    image-673241147.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 97
  • image-631425524.jpg
    image-631425524.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 93
  • image-191749403.jpg
    image-191749403.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 123
That one sps is about to break the surface! Congratulations! I hate how my camera doesn't capture the coral correctly also..

This might be a little better picture.... I got that little sucker when it was about an inch tall.., i think it likes the lights. :- ). Looks like about another inch and its climbing out of the tank !!!

Attachments

• image-1187509701.jpg
    image-1187509701.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 96
Thats a nice SPS. What is it? Looks kind of like a birds nest but most I have seen are not that fat.

You gotta take a look at mine then, the thick ones are stylophoras..
It's a lot thicker than it looks in this pic though.. Mainly because of polyp extension.

rdnelson99 said:
Thats a nice SPS. What is it? Looks kind of like a birds nest but most I have seen are not that fat.

I think it was listed just as a pink acropora when i originally bought it.

Hey Dary, I see in your bio that you've got a Bubble Magnus skimmer, I will be upgrading mine soon, and was thinking about the Bubble magnus. What do you think of it? I have a little over 200g, total volume, and was considering the NA9 I think it was called.
I'd appreciate your input over generic reviews,
Thanks,
Toby

Flreefer said:
Hey Dary, I see in your bio that you've got a Bubble Magnus skimmer, I will be upgrading mine soon, and was thinking about the Bubble magnus. What do you think of it? I have a little over 200g, total volume, and was considering the NA9 I think it was called.
I'd appreciate your input over generic reviews,
Thanks,
Toby

Hey Toby ,...I've got the BM 180 ex and I really like it,....it's a little. Workhorse,....I bought my bubble magus after hearing mr,. X talk about his,.... I figured if it's good enough for Doug than its good enough for me ! Very easy to adjust clean etc,, I don't think I'd hesitate too much on a bubble magus.
You might even check eBay ,..sometimes you'll find some dealers that have an overstock ,... That's what I did and if memory serves me right I think I saved something like $50 - $60 over the best price I could find over the Internet ,....hope this helps a little, Dary

needmorecowbell said:
You gotta take a look at mine then, the thick ones are stylophoras..
It's a lot thicker than it looks in this pic though.. Mainly because of polyp extension.

From that angle ,..that picture looks remarkably like the head of a moray eel coming out of a rock.

Thanks for the review, I've really heard nothing but good things about them.
Tank looks great, is that a big Chalice in pic 2?

Flreefer said:
Thanks for the review, I've really heard nothing but good things about them.
Tank looks great, is that a big Chalice in pic 2?

Toby .. Re.the magus- I haven't looked back since I got it,.. And yes the 2nd picture has two echinophyllia chalices side by side,....I've got a couple more and for some reason they're doing rather well dispute me.,...they must be tough !

I like Chalice, I bought a frag about a year ago. It's doind well, but completely getting encroached, by a Red Cap. Think I'm going to trade the Cap at my LFS this weekend to uncover the Chalice. I was going to just move it, but when I went to relocate it I noticed its attached to the back glass. Figured I would leave it until I could trade it. I have more, Montis love my tank...Zoos on the other hand... Not so much!! They will live, but not really proliferate, always been this way, worst luck with zoos.
Anyway, thanks for the feedback, and nice Chalices!

View attachment 90888

Time to make some adjustments!

Somewhere once upon a time on this forum I read about about someone who had some of the koralia powerheads connected to their wave maker,...the individual had stated that once the powerhead was switched off on its cycle and then restarted that it would " suck" water instead of " pushing" water.until the next cycle,....well,...I've got four of the power heads connected to my wave maker and three of the four powerheads work as designed ,..but one of them every now and then will indeed start to suck water instead of pushing it..., unfortunately ,..a few days ago I was watching tv and looked up and hadn't seen " Goldie" my yellow tang swimming around for a while ,...a search of the aquarium found Goldie pinned to the sucking powerhead,.., I remove Goldie and unplugged the powerhead and re plugged it back in to reverse the flow again.
Unfortunately ,...Goldie wasn't looking too good after her ordeal,...she went behind a wall of rocks and after 15-20 minutes came back out but wasn't very interested in any food that was being offered etc,....long story short. Goldie disappeared into the crevices of a couple of hundred pounds of rocks never to be seen again. Shinning a flash lite thru the rocks never produced a body., and trying to remove the rock work was totally out of the question., I figured that my triggerfish probably disposed of most of the carcass rather rapidly .
Has anyone else experienced this during this on off cycle.? I imagine a new powerhead is in order to replace the one that sucks,...kind of a bummer, Goldie was very cool and will be missed.

Attachments

• image-2686767773.jpg
    image-2686767773.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 138
  • image-312674803.jpg
    image-312674803.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 98
Oh dary, so sorry about your tang. :-( Thats a real tragic story and maybe someone can learn from it. My korlias do that also, sometimes anyway, they will suck instead of push. I have my wavemaker on a rapid switch though so it's only once in a while.

carey said:
Oh dary, so sorry about your tang. :-( Thats a real tragic story and maybe someone can learn from it. My korlias do that also, sometimes anyway, they will suck instead of push. I have my wavemaker on a rapid switch though so it's only once in a while.

Thanks Carey,.. Yeah it's a bummer ..., but I wonder if replacing that particular powerhead will cure the problem or if it's just the nature of the beast in general,.. Live and learn I guess.

Bummer. Sorry to hear that Dary. I know how you feel. My yellow died last week =/

Interestingly enough, a similar issue happened to one of the Korallia PHs at my LFS. He's got 3 joined and 1 of them was pulling instead of pushing on every other cycle. He replaced the faulty PH only to have the issue duplicate itself on a different PH that didn't have that issue. He replaced the wavemaker and everything turned out all right. He put back the original PH he thought was faulty and it worked fine. Not sure if the wavemaker was at fault, just something to think about and/or to test if you replace the PH.

Back
Top Bottom