Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-13-2011, 05:16 PM   #421
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote
I don't have any hairy mushrooms, mine are all smooth. I have never seen them eat anything, but there are so many, it's possible.

They will burn SPS corals if they touch them, but don't seem to harm any of my other softies. My best guess with my Kenya tree is that my huge colony of waving hand coral is poisoning it. Did a water change last night but no improvements. Might change the carbon out again tonight.
Changing out the carbon would be my first choice of action also but the whole situation seems a little strange to me...once I get this whole tank setup and transferred and running I'm going to get myself a hairy mushroom colony going and then maybe I can tell you if they are killers or not .... Just seems that after all this time a couple of large corals just up and croak ,... I just can't see the mushrooms being involved.... But like everyone else here,...I don't really really know anything about them,..I just grow em.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:11 PM   #422
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

There are many things happening here that are unseen, or cannot easily be tested for. I have always been interested in why a soft coral, like colt or kenya tree, can grow like a weed for years, then totally collapse in 48 hours with no sign of water quality or stress problems (that I can see). I must hit a trigger point some how and that's all she wrote. Good news about stoney corals is that they seem to be more "consistent."

Old 10-13-2011, 06:22 PM   #423
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote
There are many things happening here that are unseen, or cannot easily be tested for. I have always been interested in why a soft coral, like colt or kenya tree, can grow like a weed for years, then totally collapse in 48 hours with no sign of water quality or stress problems (that I can see). I must hit a trigger point some how and that's all she wrote. Good news about stoney corals is that they seem to be more "consistent."
Greg..., a little while back my Kenya tree collapsed like yours and I thought it was dead than suddenly after a few days of looking dead it suddenly perked up and it looks better than ever,.... Why ? Who the heck knows.....it's now 3x the size it was.... Maybe it's just something they do ???
Old 10-13-2011, 06:24 PM   #424
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

They do squeeze out like other leathers, I have also seen that many times, but sometimes the squeeze goes onto melting, at which point they become very toxic and have to go, quickly.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:56 PM   #425
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow..today was my chosen day to do the tank swap over.., first thing this morning I drained about 20 gals of water from my 75 gal tank into a large 54 gal rubbermaid tub., to this I added any loose corals I could easily detach and put them into the tub... Slowly I started taking out the larger rocks and after a dip into fresh saltwater To to remove any loose sediment i added them into my 135 gal setup... It was a long slow and very wet process..., I acclimated the fish along with the loose coral in the tub by slowly adding water from the 135 gal tank., this took a couple of hours or so.
Everything seems to have survived the transfer in good shape so far.. Some of the corals took an hour or two to finally open up to their new world.
The fish seem to really enjoy the extra two 1400 gph powerheads I attached to a accela wave, water pulser.( along with a 1100 and a 750 gph powerhead also)
With a single two inch center overflow and a mag 12 return pump pushing the water back into the tank via four nozzles I don't think lack of water flow is going to be an issue.
So far everything been running for the last few hours and so far all systems look good.
I guess tomorrow I start cleaning up the 75 gal tank and the mess I made doing the swap over.., a well deserved beer or two were consumed during the swap over for medicinal purposes only.
We'll see in the up coming days how everything acclimates to the new system but for me. ., I'm kinda proud of what I accomplished.., kinda like I just went from AAA to the major leagues .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2093509358.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	56859   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2106422745.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	56860  

Name:	image-811063660.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	56861   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-331603184.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	56862  

Name:	image-3300856983.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	56863   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3466067261.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	56864  

Old 10-18-2011, 08:38 AM   #426
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looking good. Man, that was a lot of work but I am sure very satisfying. Hope everything "Acclimates" well. Here is a little hint of the acclimation. That "Medication" you used for "Medicinal" purposes.....put it in the freezer for about 5 minutes before opening. Works much better that way.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:21 AM   #427
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnelson99
Looking good. Man, that was a lot of work but I am sure very satisfying. Hope everything "Acclimates" well. Here is a little hint of the acclimation. That "Medication" you used for "Medicinal" purposes.....put it in the freezer for about 5 minutes before opening. Works much better that way.
Lol..thanks doc for the acclimation tip....I'll try that today when I start cleaning up the other tank. :- )
Old 10-18-2011, 09:38 AM   #428
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sure wish I could give you some instructions in person. I am very good at it. LOL Seriously, the tank looks great.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:03 PM   #429
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Wow Dary looks great man rock work is amazing can't say enough bet your glad to be done?
Old 10-18-2011, 04:20 PM   #430
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey Ryan, I love my signature line but if I could, I would steal yours.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com