Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dary421 said:
I'll probably end up with some sooner or later.... Almost all of my " xtra " money is usually put away into my yearly Hawaiian fund,.... I just love to go snorkeling over there to check up on my aquarium buddies,....but,..once I get something I want in my head it's going to happen,..it's just trying to justify it., that takes up brain space ,..temporarily .

Oh Dary you crack me up sometimes

So now that we've drifted over to the ecotech power heads subject,...I would imagine that in a 135 gallon tank like mine with a couple of hundred pounds of rocks in it ,..that i would need two 40's to properly manage a tank of this size? ... That'll cost as much as a 60 " flat screen tv and a pack of hotdogs !! ..... Nevertheless , it does kinda fascinate me about the different modes and adjustments you can make to them,....and If i understand this whole Ecotech presentation right ,the koralia's push a stream of water in a straight line only ,whereas the ecotechs will push a larger volume of water at a slower and more controlled and variable total area? .. And to Greg ,.. When I disassembled the old powerhead in question I did find that the rubber stopper had in fact fallen out ,...easy cure.?

rdnelson99 said:
Dary, the way I look at it, my 125 IS my new 72" High Def Flat Screen. :)

I hadn't really thought of it that way yet..., maybe I'll put a "Sony" sticker on the front of my 72" tank .., it gets great color and amazing lifelike 3D imaging too,... The downside is that the monthly rates are a killer compared to my local cable company.

Dary421 said:
I hadn't really thought of it that way yet..., maybe I'll put a "Sony" sticker on the front of my 72" tank .., it gets great color and amazing lifelike 3D imaging too,... The downside is that the monthly rates are a killer compared to my local cable company.

I have had a similar experience with my 72 inch. Everything is so lifelike, it is creepy. Especially when I get green stuff on the front panel of the TV, I must have a defective unit.

Lol.

I would prefer that Sony not find this out but.......... I watered my 36" flat screen and it turned into a 72" overnight!!!!!! hehehehehe

So now I'm really starting to seriously think about the ecotech powerheads,...the more I investigate the multiple programmable flow designs the more I like the ideas,...but for any one( Jason?) who's currently running these powerheads,.. My question would be wether to run a pair of 40's in my 135 or to possible run one 40 and maybe a pair of 10's as a couple of "slaves" in the other sections of the tank,...I know it's going to be pricey but maybe one at a time might not be too painfully ,:-/

needmorecowbell said:
how about an aquarium controller? it would be less money and as programmable plus much more.
The oldman's mind is made up...at this point ya just gotta nod your head and say something like,..wow,Dary ,..that's really neat ,.let us know how it works out,.... :-/. That's jut part of being old,...we're stubborn as a an old mule ,.... And set in our ways too., right or wrong.... You'll see one day !!

Sorry, can't really help with the how many of which size, but I will say, that I currently run (2) MP10w ES's in my 54 corner and they are at a perfect (to me) flow set at 60% intensity MAX on one of the programs. It really creates a whole scheme of flow ratios in my tank, and I too have one as Master and one as Slave. They are also incorporated into my Radion LED, but honestly, other than going into nighttime mode from the LED, they don't really do much else together with the LEDs.

I am extremely happy with them. I'm sure you will be too.

I guess the moral of my long post was to say that, you will want enough power to not have them at full speed. The higher the intensity, the louder they get. For myself, I like to shoot for (50x) per hour of flow. In your tank that's 6750 gph. Therefore I would think that you would want to do two of the MP40's as they are 3200 MAX which leaves 350gph to be taken up by the return pump.

The MP10's are only 1500 MAX so you would be off by another 200 and that's at their max rating. Plus the MP40 is $465, compared with two 10's at $570.

In my opinion, but NOT IME, I would recommend two of the MP-40's. Have fun!

TLTGF said:
Sorry, can't really help with the how many of which size, but I will say, that I currently run (2) MP10w ES's in my 54 corner and they are at a perfect (to me) flow set at 60% intensity MAX on one of the programs. It really creates a whole scheme of flow ratios in my tank, and I too have one as Master and one as Slave. They are also incorporated into my Radion LED, but honestly, other than going into nighttime mode from the LED, they don't really do much else together with the LEDs.

I am extremely happy with them. I'm sure you will be too.

I guess the moral of my long post was to say that, you will want enough power to not have them at full speed. The higher the intensity, the louder they get. For myself, I like to shoot for (50x) per hour of flow. In your tank that's 6750 gph. Therefore I would think that you would want to do two of the MP40's as they are 3200 MAX which leaves 350gph to be taken up by the return pump.

The MP10's are only 1500 MAX so you would be off by another 200 and that's at their max rating. Plus the MP40 is $465, compared with two 10's at $570.

In my opinion, but NOT IME, I would recommend two of the MP-40's. Have fun!

Thank you,...that's kinda what I was figuring would be my best bet ( 2-40's)..... Im not running those LEDs so that's not an issue,...but it'll be interesting to experiment with the different modes and intensities to find out what's best for the tank,.... Now I just gotta get the nerve to push the button.... :-/

I just got my first vortech this week, picked up an MP10 for my rimless 60g. It seems to be a great little powerhead so far, mine is very quiet and moved alot of crap off my rocks when i first put in in. As far as the cost, well, I am still feeling violated LOL. It's a big price tag and I'm not even sure if it's the best yet. hehe...it better be though....

carey said:
I just got my first vortech this week, picked up an MP10 for my rimless 60g. It seems to be a great little powerhead so far, mine is very quiet and moved alot of crap off my rocks when i first put in in. As far as the cost, well, I am still feeling violated LOL. It's a big price tag and I'm not even sure if it's the best yet. hehe...it better be though....

Yeah,...as far as the cost of the pumps go they probably should include a little high grade lubricant with each package,...:-/ ,that being said,. I went ahead and ordered 1 ( one) singular 40 for now,...I'll probably mount it on the right side of the aquarium and'll continue to run a couple of the koralia's on the left side until such a time that I feel a need to get another vortech or abandon the whole idea and return to the koralia's ,.... Other than that,the whole aquarium as a whole seemingly has bounced back nicely from the evil bouts of Dr. Dary's experimentations with calcium dosing etc..
My little world has returned to a happier place for now ,..but I've got my fingers crossed anyways.

U may only need one that's all I have. On the other side I have a koralia

I just found out that my ecotech 40 will arrive via ups sometime today,....I'm kinda getting a little excited thinking about the different modes and speed adjustments that are possible,...I have a little area in front of my tank that seems to be my problem zone,..I hope to address that with ( hopefully) their undertow effect or via one of their programmable modes,....I'm not too sure how the whole scheme of things will work using koralia's on the other side of the tank but we'll see,.... One thing that they do offer that I may be interested in is a battery backup hookup that'll keep the pump running for hours depending on how it's setup.,.... I keep getting flashbacks from a year or two ago when a car took out a telephone Pole directly in front f the house and power was going to off for 10-12 hours,.... A mad rush to home depot to buy a generator took care of that issue at that time BUT if one was at work or out for the day when this occurred than I think this battery back up would be a lifesaver ( literally ) until you could hook up the generator or until power resumes.
I'll try out the system as stated but if necessary ill get another 40 down the line when money permits. I've got my fingers crossed!!

ryan-peddle said:
Exciting and good luck with it

I remember that crash hard to believe it was a year ago

Hey Ryan,...yeah,... A year goes by pretty quick sometimes,... I remember trying to pour water back and forth into the tank for aeration for about a half an hour or so before I decided that a generator was needed,..... Tank wise ,..I've gone from the old 75 gal tank with a hob skimmer, aquaclear filter , hob back refugium etc to this beast I got now,... So much more stable ,..so much more money spent !!! Lol

Last edited:
Dary421 said:
Hey Ryan,...yeah,... A year goes by pretty quick sometimes,... I remember trying to pour water back and forth into the tank for aeration for about a half an hour or so before I decided that a generator was needed,..... Tank wise ,..I've gone from the old 75 gal tank with a hob skimmer, aquaclear filter , hob back refugium etc to this beast I got now,... So much more stable ,..so much more money spent !!! Lol

Yeah I remember lol and I know all about money spent mines a 110 gallon lol

Back
Top Bottom