Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-01-2011, 01:35 PM   #481
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Looks absolutely phenomenal dary! Keep us posted on the changes. It's becoming a real show stopper.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:48 PM   #482
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan-peddle

Yeah when you order online it helps get what you want and not just because they have it

But it's always nice coming home with a new frag that day
Well yesterday I ordered a bunch of ricordea's ( my favorites ).... When I transferred all the rocks from one tank to the other a couple of weeks ago alot of the mushrooms where kinda dispersed in the rearrangement of the rocks into the new tank,. ,however,.. I did find some long lost forgotten singles that kinda floated away and disappeared into the rockscape months ago,..So I'm thinking that illl try and get a ricordea colony attached to a rock as a mushroom focal point somewhere in this new new tank setup.,hopefully they'll find their new home inviting and will live a long and prosperous life.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:15 PM   #483
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya
Looks absolutely phenomenal dary! Keep us posted on the changes. It's becoming a real show stopper.
Maya ,..thank you but,...I really wouldn't go that far!! ..It's really just a work in progress, some good and some bad,...the real difference between this tank and the old 75 is that this tank ( hopefully) will be setup for a long time to come and the 75 was a learning platform to find out if I had the determination and will to keep and maintain a marine tank.., well, I've never looked back,..I truly love the everyday challenge of trying to do everything right.
I gotta pick my brother Al up at the airport in a couple of hours ( visit from Florida ) so I thought I'd leave a little early and swing by my lfs ( about a mile and a half from airport ) and check out a few pieces of man made rocks they have and maybe look at the frags.
I haven't seen al since Maui 2010 so I'm kinda excited about the whole thing,..and yes Ryan ,..there's plenty of cold ones in the refrig in case you wanna drop by ,...thanks again maya ,..you're the best.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:22 PM   #484
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dary421

Maya ,..thank you but,...I really wouldn't go that far!! ..It's really just a work in progress, some good and some bad,...the real difference between this tank and the old 75 is that this tank ( hopefully) will be setup for a long time to come and the 75 was a learning platform to find out if I had the determination and will to keep and maintain a marine tank.., well, I've never looked back,..I truly love the everyday challenge of trying to do everything right.
I gotta pick my brother Al up at the airport in a couple of hours ( visit from Florida ) so I thought I'd leave a little early and swing by my lfs ( about a mile and a half from airport ) and check out a few pieces of man made rocks they have and maybe look at the frags.
I haven't seen al since Maui 2010 so I'm kinda excited about the whole thing,..and yes Ryan ,..there's plenty of cold ones in the refrig in case you wanna drop by ,...thanks again maya ,..you're the best.
Good man Dary always looking out for me lol
Old 11-02-2011, 08:44 PM   #485
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Just upgraded my LEDs. Now running a center panel at 300watts and two side panels at 130watts each. Total of 560 watts on a 250gallon reef that is 34" deep. 12,000K and 454nm blues. Lots 'o light. But it is an example of how many watts are really needed to get the light values up to what I had with a 400watt MH and two 250watt MH with 80watts of actinic. About 2:1 for SPS corals when compared to MH.

How are your LEDs doing now that you have had them a while?
Old 11-02-2011, 09:28 PM   #486
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote
Just upgraded my LEDs. Now running a center panel at 300watts and two side panels at 130watts each. Total of 560 watts on a 250gallon reef that is 34" deep. 12,000K and 454nm blues. Lots 'o light. But it is an example of how many watts are really needed to get the light values up to what I had with a 400watt MH and two 250watt MH with 80watts of actinic. About 2:1 for SPS corals when compared to MH.

How are your LEDs doing now that you have had them a while?
Greg,..I'm no where near your level in understanding this whole lighting issue.., BUT,.. From what I've seen in MY tank , everything ( knock on wood ) seems to be doing very well,.. As long as everything seems to be growing and looks great I'm happy .( I can always add another fixture or two later if need be ) ,..but for now,..alls well.
I Just got in my new little batch of ricordeas and I added them to the rock work,...one cool thing though,..a couple of my lavender hairy mushrooms have started to split,...so cool to see happening.
I did get a little bird ness frag along with the Ricordeas,.so along with the frags I got the other day,..I think I'm set for awhile,..time to kick back and watch things unfold and see what happens.
By the sounds of your LED's ,..that must be generating an awesome amount of light,...I kinda like having my tank a little on the dark side,..I have my blues cranked up and my white turned down,...so far ,...no complaints. ..looks very nice,..at least to me and by George ,..it's MY tank.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:06 PM   #487
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

You bet. Everybody has different tastes for sure. I was just wondering as I just set up our LFS with her first LED lit tank. I think the only proof they are as good as we think they are is watching corals growing with your own eyes. I just want to stimulate my SPS with more light and shorter duration. See what happens.

Started this week mixing my own 2 part cal/alk solution when I filled a trash bag with old B-Ionic bottles. Kinda late to the party...but the ingredients are all at Bulk Reef Supply and with a big tank, that stuff adds up. I feel like I am back in chemistry class. Love your tank, looking forwards to seeing the new anex.

Saw a Picasso Trigger at the LFS and while feeding him, he spit at me! Love those fish, but he likes to bite.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:18 PM   #488
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's been a few days so I thought 1'd show you what's going on in the 135 ..., I think the first picture should be of the way the tank had looked a few days ago.., I decided ( months ago ) that I was going to build myself a couple of plateaus in the new tank so off to the lfs to get a bunch of man made rocks to accomplish this.., some where in the pictures that I downloaded should be a picture or two of plateau #1. ... In real life it looks pretty cool with its flat top.., I'll be building another plateau to the far rights side of the tank tomorrow when another lfs adventure takes place with some more man made rocks and more epoxy putty is bought,...the other pictures are of some f the new additions I got last week or so of the ricordeas and a umbrella mushroom and a chilli coral etc.
There's also a picture of one of the hairy mushroom that had split ,...a few days ago this was only a single mushroom ., it took about two days to fully split into two ,... Pretty cool to watch.,...now if I could only get my ricordeas to do the same,..but I understand they grow very slowly and it'll probably be awhile,...I'll more that likely ordering some more in the near future.
Hope the pictures turn out ok for you..., Dary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-519207872.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	60238   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2929192314.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	60239  

Name:	image-3804436103.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	60240   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2406555816.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	60241  

Name:	image-4042383349.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	60242   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2332790487.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	60243  

Name:	image-1436849762.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	60244   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-251390071.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	60245  

Name:	image-3365261106.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	60246   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1997673639.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	60247  

Name:	image-4255190111.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	60248  
Old 11-08-2011, 03:30 PM   #489
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Looks real nice. Glad stuff is growing for you. Are you using any artificial rock. I bought some to frag corals on the other day and didn't like it until it was in the tank awhile, now it looks identical to the other rocks.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:45 PM   #490
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote
Looks real nice. Glad stuff is growing for you. Are you using any artificial rock. I bought some to frag corals on the other day and didn't like it until it was in the tank awhile, now it looks identical to the other rocks.
Greg.., I actually have probably 40-50 pounds of it in the tank right now,...once you mix it in with your regular rock it just blends right in,...the best part is that there's no cycling it,.. Just put'er in and away you go,. My lfs has regular live rock from $ 4.99 to $ 6.99 a pound depending on the variety ,..this man made rock is $5.99 a pound.
I'm really starting to like the mix of the two,.... Looking towards to getting started on the next plateau.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com