Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hondatek said:
ok thanks. It an optional purchase with the pure water club unit I have. Ill probably order it.

Prob a good idea...it'll keep things flowing and prolong its life.... Hope you're feeling better too.

Dary421 said:
I think you have your figures reversed.. Other wise your machine is producing something like 310 gals of pure water in 12 hours ., .( which isnt going to happen with that unit ) With 48 gals + - waste water.... It should be the other way around ..,310 gals waste water and 48 gals pure water

That's what I thought too but it was already set up straight out of the box. All I had to do was pop in the resin filter. I read the instructions too and every thing was aligned properly.

Ibrahim said:
That's what I thought too but it was already set up straight out of the box. All I had to do was pop in the resin filter. I read the instructions too and every thing was aligned properly.

Sorry but than something was screwed up there with that whole setup .., a 50 gpd setup can not produce 720 gallons of " pure" water in a 24 hour period of time.., as stated above usually there's a 3-5 gallons of waste water to every gallon of "pure" water NOT the other way around...,only a fraction of your water actually makes it thru the multiple membranes and filters ,the bulk is discarded... It might be possible that you were missing a internal filter or regulator ??? Who knows.?? If what you had was " normal" there would be no other rodi filters ever sold by any other manufacturer, everyone would have one of those.. Me included!!!!!

Dary421 said:
Sorry but than something was screwed up there with that whole setup .., a 50 gpd setup can not produce 720 gallons of " pure" water in a 24 hour period of time.., as stated above usually there's a 3-5 gallons of waste water to every gallon of "pure" water NOT the other way around...,only a fraction of your water actually makes it thru the multiple membranes and filters ,the bulk is discarded... It might be possible that you were missing a internal filter or regulator ??? Who knows.?? If what you had was " normal" there would be no other rodi filters ever sold by any other manufacturer, everyone would have one of those.. Me included!!!!!

Idk... Tds came zero. I wish I could take a vid but I already sold the unit.

I just finished using the new 150 gpd upgrade to my 75 gpd brs RODI unit to fill up a couple of five gallon ATO jugs and overflowed both of them,...this sucker is a lot faster than it was before and caught me by surprise ,...I think we may have a winner here. :)

Dary421 said:
I just finished using the new 150 gpd upgrade to my 75 gpd brs RODI unit to fill up a couple of five gallon ATO jugs and overflowed both of them,...this sucker is a lot faster than it was before and caught me by surprise ,...I think we may have a winner here. :)

Ordered the hammerhead glass cleaner yesterday. Been wanting it for awhile. Your review finally put me over the top. This may be the next purchase. Thanks for the update Dary.

AquaRick said:
Ordered the hammerhead glass cleaner yesterday. Been wanting it for awhile. Your review finally put me over the top. This may be the next purchase. Thanks for the update Dary.

Rick.., I think you'll like it,...I especially like being able to change out the pads when ever they become worn out or just clogged up,.... Also the inside the aquarium part floats , and that's worth the price right there..,especially if you think you might have picked up some sand near the bottom,..just pull the magnet apart and the inside part floats to the top so you can just rinse it out.... Just purchase the extra pads to go along with the hammerhead,..you can make like 12 pads for somewhere around $6-7.00..... Also,The RODI upgrade seems like a no brainier to me for $60.

Dary421 said:
Rick.., I think you'll like it,...I especially like being able to change out the pads when ever they become worn out or just clogged up,.... Also the inside the aquarium part floats , and that's worth the price right there..,especially if you think you might have picked up some sand near the bottom,..just pull the magnet apart and the inside part floats to the top so you can just rinse it out.... Just purchase the extra pads to go along with the hammerhead,..you can make like 12 pads for somewhere around $6-7.00..... Also,The RODI upgrade seems like a no brainier to me for $60.

Great idea on the replacement pads. Didn't think about that. I had been using a mag float but gave up on it years ago. I'll buy some extra pads when i get the RODI upgrade. Really looking forward to not having to scrape the glass every other day lol. Thanks again Dary.

I don't know. I've been using MagFloats for 10 years on salt and freshwater tanks and love them. I just changed the pads on them for the first time. Maybe it's because I have small tanks.

CorallineAlgae said:
I don't know. I've been using MagFloats for 10 years on salt and freshwater tanks and love them. I just changed the pads on them for the first time. Maybe it's because I have small tanks.

Nothing wrong with using your mag floats if it's doing the job for you,..but from my experience on my own tank ,the mag float was more trouble than it was worth,...the hammerhead has a much stronger magnet which really sucks down on the glass/ acrylic and pretty much cleans on one pass,.....it's kinda pricey ,but what isn't anymore.,..I'm not saying everyone should throw away the mags and run down to the lfs and buy one ,.. just another option which may work better for some.

Well today i stayed home instead of going fishing because my jbj chiller was due to arrive...when I first initially ordered the unit i was looking for a good deal and found what appeared to be a reasonable price on the Internet ... A day or two later i had not heard back from them regarding wether the item had been shipped or not ., thats when i realized that i had ordered the cooler thru " aquacon" .,well, my heart sank a little because of all the horror stories involved with them.., so yesterday i called them to chew some butt but was met with a very pleasant girl who checked up on my order and informed me that it was to be at my doorstep the next day ( today )... So besides not leaving me a tracking / shipping notice they did just fine ( whew )
So anyway.., in order to get this unit next to my sump and return pump i had to relocate a couple of reactors and knock out a board etc.., long story short , she's in !!!! ..., but not after a mad scramble to find a couple of hose clamps to " seal" the deal and eliminate a couple of steady little drips.
So far she's been running for about an hour and wow is she ever quiet ., you cannot tell its even running... Its brought the tanks temperature down about a degree so far .., my target of 78* is in sight.... Nice to know that ( hopefully ) the tank will stay at a constant temp when those hot scorching days are among us.

Attachments

• image-3298814159.jpg
    image-3298814159.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Dary421 said:
Well today i stayed home instead of going fishing because my jbj chiller was due to arrive...when I first initially ordered the unit i was looking for a good deal and found what appeared to be a reasonable price on the Internet ... A day or two later i had not heard back from them regarding wether the item had been shipped or not ., thats when i realized that i had ordered the cooler thru " aquacon" .,well, my heart sank a little because of all the horror stories involved with them.., so yesterday i called them to chew some butt but was met with a very pleasant girl who checked up on my order and informed me that it was to be at my doorstep the next day ( today )... So besides not leaving me a tracking / shipping notice they did just fine ( whew )
So anyway.., in order to get this unit next to my sump and return pump i had to relocate a couple of reactors and knock out a board etc.., long story short , she's in !!!! ..., but not after a mad scramble to find a couple of hose clamps to " seal" the deal and eliminate a couple of steady little drips.
So far she's been running for about an hour and wow is she ever quiet ., you cannot tell its even running... Its brought the tanks temperature down about a degree so far .., my target of 78* is in sight.... Nice to know that ( hopefully ) the tank will stay at a constant temp when those hot scorching days are among us.

Awesome the way your ordering there is not much left to own I'd love to have your wallet lol

But that's a great purchase it might be in my future too it got a little scary last night temp was 30 Celsius good thing I keep frozen bottles in tge freezer for work

Did you have a surface fan before the chiller?

ryan-peddle said:
Awesome the way your ordering there is not much left to own I'd love to have your wallet lol

But that's a great purchase it might be in my future too it got a little scary last night temp was 30 Celsius good thing I keep frozen bottles in tge freezer for work

Did you have a surface fan before the chiller?[/QUOTE

Nah,..no fans ., just crossed fingers and a frozen hunk of saltwater in my freezer,

ryan-peddle said:
Well it worked I guess It was a mad scramble last night to get the ice in the tank and get my a/c unit out of the garage lol

that's exactly what I had done in the past and thats what I don't wanna do anymore.... Hence the cooler,...besides,..having a chunk of ice in my freezer and a 135 gal tank and 45 gal sump isn't going to help out much either,. :-/. .. Kinda like putting a bandaid on a broken leg.,... Luckily my refrig keeps the adult beverages at a prrrrfect temp.

Dary421 said:
that's exactly what I had done in the past and thats what I don't wanna do anymore.... Hence the cooler,...besides,..having a chunk of ice in my freezer and a 135 gal tank and 45 gal sump isn't going to help out much either,. :-/. .. Kinda like putting a bandaid on a broken leg.,... Luckily my refrig keeps the adult beverages at a prrrrfect temp.

Now THAT'S the right attitude!

Good to see you are still going strong Dary,

I have had chillers for years now...especially in the old MH days. You and your livestock will love the steady temperature it will give you. No more worries about bags of ice on hot days. I have always been a believer in Kalkwasser as well. I add mine at night and still use a two part supplement on top of it. My SPS growth has been fantastic. I also add a home brew magnesium solution.

Working with the LFS, my new system is cranking out coral for retail sale. Mostly softies, but I am installing a new 200 gallon SPS/LPS grow out frag tank. This will take me up to 650 gallons in the system. Still wanting more, of course. Will use my LEDs I designed using several 100 watt emitters. Will post pictures as this light will travel the length of the 6' tank over the period of 8 hours using a rail build for hydroponic growers.

Gregcoyote said:
Good to see you are still going strong Dary,

I have had chillers for years now...especially in the old MH days. You and your livestock will love the steady temperature it will give you. No more worries about bags of ice on hot days. I have always been a believer in Kalkwasser as well. I add mine at night and still use a two part supplement on top of it. My SPS growth has been fantastic. I also add a home brew magnesium solution.

Working with the LFS, my new system is cranking out coral for retail sale. Mostly softies, but I am installing a new 200 gallon SPS/LPS grow out frag tank. This will take me up to 650 gallons in the system. Still wanting more, of course. Will use my LEDs I designed using several 100 watt emitters. Will post pictures as this light will travel the length of the 6' tank over the period of 8 hours using a rail build for hydroponic growers.

Hey Greg ,..glad to see you're still hanging out,...I truly appreciated all your input,...I just figured it was about time to add the insurance of having a cooler,..it really gets hot out here ( as I'm sure everywhere else too) ,.. I have enough trouble keeping everything going the way it's suppose to when everything's right let alone trying to fight a rise in temperature too.
I just started adding a little kalkwasser to the ATO water,..I'm trying to be very ,very cautious about everything and I'm proceeding at a slugs pace,..tank wise ,everything looks wonderful and I've got all my fingers crossed.
I also started my generator I purchased awhile back last night just to make sure she was ready to go in case of another power failure,,,,All systems up and going for now !!!

Back
Top Bottom