Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-11-2012, 09:32 PM   #571
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote
There is a balancing act going on, some time my mushroom crop is winning sometimes it's something else. My Kenya tree isn't allowed to get very big because of the aggressive corals bordering it. I made an estimate from a photo the other day, I have over 1000 mushrooms in the reef, that I can see. They rule the roost. My challenge is now to get everyone to live together, almost impossible as my specimens come from all over the world.
Whoah, just checked it out on your photo gallery, that's a lot. It must take days to frag lol.

needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:05 AM   #572
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Well can't wait for the new pics when it's all "done" Darys Tank is my favorite show lol much more interesting then tv everything looks great this far good work!!!

Old 01-12-2012, 12:21 AM   #573
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I have started to sell off rocks full of shrooms and anthelia which I can also seem to grow like celery. If only my SPS corals grew this fast, but the abundance of all the softies don't help the SPS corals much. Only took 45 years of practice, the last 30 in saltwater...I still can barely remember the names of the most common corals. My son, who is also in the hobby has a girl friend that is a biologist and just came back from Thailand where they were transplanting corals. They make me feel like an idiot, but I am the engineer and can make water flow...so there you go.

Dary, I am taking the plunge and setting up a 55 gallon trigger fish tank and a 40 gallon fragging table, will show pictures this winter of the install in my basement fish room. These won't be for public display, but just for the family as the fish room isn't where you take visitors. I want a nice trigger and have room to get serious about frags. Will run it all off the main system, so shouldn't be too hard. Making room is going to be the real challenge. I plan in a few years to move to a new house on our farm we have at which time I have already drawn up plans for a 1000 gallon system that will use some natural light as seen on other posts here. I want to use LEDs on track lights that move, such as in a hydro setup, along with light tube technology for some daylight supplemental lighting. Business has to be pretty good for all this to happen, but you gotta have your dreams. Your tank is looking splendid, sorry about the wall hammer.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:17 AM   #574
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lol my biology teacher makes me feel like an idiot too. I asked her about hydroids because I saw them in my tank and she gave me a whole lesson on them. It was inspiring but also intimidating haha.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #575
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote
I have started to sell off rocks full of shrooms and anthelia which I can also seem to grow like celery. If only my SPS corals grew this fast, but the abundance of all the softies don't help the SPS corals much. Only took 45 years of practice, the last 30 in saltwater...I still can barely remember the names of the most common corals. My son, who is also in the hobby has a girl friend that is a biologist and just came back from Thailand where they were transplanting corals. They make me feel like an idiot, but I am the engineer and can make water flow...so there you go.

Dary, I am taking the plunge and setting up a 55 gallon trigger fish tank and a 40 gallon fragging table, will show pictures this winter of the install in my basement fish room. These won't be for public display, but just for the family as the fish room isn't where you take visitors. I want a nice trigger and have room to get serious about frags. Will run it all off the main system, so shouldn't be too hard. Making room is going to be the real challenge. I plan in a few years to move to a new house on our farm we have at which time I have already drawn up plans for a 1000 gallon system that will use some natural light as seen on other posts here. I want to use LEDs on track lights that move, such as in a hydro setup, along with light tube technology for some daylight supplemental lighting. Business has to be pretty good for all this to happen, but you gotta have your dreams. Your tank is looking splendid, sorry about the wall hammer.
... Kinda like no matter how fast you think you are there's somebody faster,...I'll be looking forward to seeing your next build,...a thousand gallon tank,..wow... That'll be alot of made up water for your PWC's ! ,...I'm sure you've got everything figured out or at least running thru your mind,... Is this tank going to be another curvy acrylic tank or are you going more traditional??
On your triggerfish tank,..only 55 gallons ?? That seems kinda small,..why not a 90-125-180 gallon tank ?
You guys really start to lose me when you start talking about all the inner parameters and wave lengths on lighting,.I follow for awhile and then I'm lost,....but...I'm soooooo glad I bought the led's that I did ,...everything in my tank responds great to them,..I don't care what anybody says,..I think the people who bad mouth them have never owned a good set yet.
I just got my new corals in and they're floating in the tank as we speak,..as far as dreams go,..I never ever thought I could own and maintain a reef tank full of exotic corals,..but after being here on the forum everyday and trying to listen and learn from the best ,..well,...I think I finally cracked opened the door.,..every time I log on here I seem to learn something new. ,i realize that Ive got a long road ahead of me in this hobby but I sure am enjoying the ride,.....what kind of dimensions to you envision for your new tank?
Old 01-12-2012, 04:22 PM   #576
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan-peddle
Well can't wait for the new pics when it's all "done" Darys Tank is my favorite show lol much more interesting then tv everything looks great this far good work!!!
Thank you Ryan, but I don't think you are a well man....( just kidding ).... Glad you've pulled up a seat ,..Im kinda anxious to see how this show turns out myself,
Old 01-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #577
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow 1000 gallons.. That's gonna be amazing. Lol can't wait to see it.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #578
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell
Wow 1000 gallons.. That's gonna be amazing. Lol can't wait to see it.
I cant wait to snorkel in it !!!
Old 01-12-2012, 04:51 PM   #579
Aquarium Advice Addict

That would be Cool. The whole natural sunlight thing would scare me though. I just hate algae. Think about cleaning the tank!
Old 01-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #580
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Wow, i haven't viewed your thread in a while Dary. I think it's time to change the name of it. Looks great! That sucks about the trigger. What will you end up doing with him?

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com