Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-13-2012, 07:11 PM   #591
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
How will you handle humidity issues? I have to leave the window open in the tank room to combat the mold growth, and I'm only at barely 300 gallons so far.

...and your welcome Dary.
I was wondering the same thing. Will you be installing fans and/or ducts to circulate the air?

Old 01-13-2012, 07:43 PM   #592
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hey Dary I like the thread name lol and I guess the first rounds on me cheers

Old 01-13-2012, 07:56 PM   #593
Aquarium Advice Addict

Greg,...roughly speaking about how many feet long s this beast going to be and how wide,...I'm envisioning that your glass is going to be somewhere in the neighborhood of an inch thick + - ?? ....Is this something that you personally will assemble or would you have some tech's come out and do the majority of the assembly ?
I suppose you've calculated just how much this beast would weigh both wet and dry also,...sounds really cool but very expensive and time consuming i assume you have a giant custom made skimmer ?? I wish I had the means to tackle something like this,...but reality enters the picture and my 135 is all I care to tackle right now.
You may have to charge admission to view this critter to recoup some of your initial cash out lay .
Old 01-13-2012, 07:59 PM   #594
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan-peddle
Hey Dary I like the thread name lol and I guess the first rounds on me cheers
Yeah I figured you would ... I had to go back thru a ton of pages in order to find the name you suggested.
P.s. make mine a " longboard " for the first round.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:20 PM   #595
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I am researching glass vs acrylic prices and thickness's. My 250 is as tall as the new tank will be and it is about 34" tall. It is an unusual, but strong shape that allowed us to build it out of 5/8" cell cast acrylic and it has been more than strong enough. My best guess is I will use 5/8 - 3/4" depending on how things all sort out. Starphire glass is available from lots of different sources, not just aquarium suppliers, so I am sourcing from building suppliers that supply to large office building construction where they use this stuff like concrete. I may be able to buy a overage from another project if I am not picky on final dimensions of the tank. They even use thick slabs of the glass for railings!

I am shooting for +8' long x +6' wide x 3' deep. Will run a reef down the center as I want easy viewing access to both sides. Ah dreams....
Old 01-13-2012, 08:22 PM   #596
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Wow...that's deep! I wouldn't want it more than 25". I have to reach the bottom without a snorkel!
Old 01-13-2012, 08:24 PM   #597
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

At 34" now, I've learned to use the long tools pretty well! But you are right, I can barely reach the bottom and my shoulder gets wet. My tangs tell me they like the pressure...
Old 01-13-2012, 08:26 PM   #598
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
The fish don't really use that top few inches anyway. If i ever manage to afford a larger tank, i'm going to keep mine a bit shallower. I'm almost miserable with this 265.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:28 PM   #599
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
The fish don't really use that top few inches anyway. If i ever manage to afford a larger tank, i'm going to keep mine a bit shallower. I'm almost miserable with this 265.
That seems to be true. My Midas blenny stays pretty high up, but I guess I don't have any surface fish.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #600
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lol it makes me feel pretty wimpy with my 30 gallon haha. Luckily I can reach it without struggle.

needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com