Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lol canopies shouldn't really be that fancy, if you make it too fancy it takes away from the tank. I wouldnt change it much, but thats just me.

Ryan,...If memory serves me right it's called a green mycedium chalice or something like that,..." Martian" chalice as far as I'm concerned pretty much tells it all....be careful on that throttle ,..Sometimes things just happen too fast ... Haven't seen you around in awhile,...didn't you sell you're marine tank???

Dary i did sell my 40 gallon salt tank but i have upgraded it to a 45 bow front i am gonna look into that coral its a beauty. Yeah i know i am safe on the water but when you upgrade from a 14.5 foot sunray with a mercury twin 35 to a 18 foot bowrider with a 200 merc you have to see what it will do or why upgrade right lol? no worries i only hammer down in open water with no boats or nav buoys in sight.

ryan-peddle said:
Dary i did sell my 40 gallon salt tank but i have upgraded it to a 45 bow front i am gonna look into that coral its a beauty. Yeah i know i am safe on the water but when you upgrade from a 14.5 foot sunray with a mercury twin 35 to a 18 foot bowrider with a 200 merc you have to see what it will do or why upgrade right lol? no worries i only hammer down in open water with no boats or nav buoys in sight.

Hey Ryan,... Im Glad you didn't abandon the salt water world...I'm sure you'll get that new tank up to snuff in no time at all,..be careful on that new hot rod ,..you're not as young as you used to be .

Hey Ryan,... Im Glad you didn't abandon the salt water world...I'm sure you'll get that new tank up to snuff in no time at all,..be careful on that new hot rod ,..you're not as young as you used to be .

thats what iam hoping its coming along i just ordered a metal halide light i only abandoned the t5 so that should show a big difference from what i hear. No worries about the boat most of the time my wife and son are onboard so i take it easy we all went tubing today what a blast. How did the stand turn out after the new coat of paint?

ryan-peddle said:
thats what iam hoping its coming along i just ordered a metal halide light i only abandoned the t5 so that should show a big difference from what i hear. No worries about the boat most of the time my wife and son are onboard so i take it easy we all went tubing today what a blast. How did the stand turn out after the new coat of paint?

Girl friend loves the tank,canopy ,corals and the new paint,....and if she's happy then ,.-ah you know the story ....good to hear you're getting excited about your new tank,.. Why mh instead of LEDs ?

Girl friend loves the tank,canopy ,corals and the new paint,....and if she's happy then ,.-ah you know the story ....good to hear you're getting excited about your new tank,.. Why mh instead of LEDs ?

i hear mixed reviews but the ones who say metal halide are die hard. from what i hear correct me if i am wrong its a more penetrating and spread out light apposed to leds which are more direct and no as penetrating. The one draw back is the heat and evaporation

ryan-peddle said:
i hear mixed reviews but the ones who say metal halide are die hard. from what i hear correct me if i am wrong its a more penetrating and spread out light apposed to leds which are more direct and no as penetrating. The one draw back is the heat and evaporation

I've never ran any metal halides myself ,I went from t5's to LED's ,..I know the mh 's will do the job just fine as proven over time but heat and expense seem to be their slow demise,.... I just figured you'd probably go the led route,.. I guess it doesn't matter how you get across town as long as you get there.
I'm looking forward to seeing how everything works out or you,...everything's running fine in my tank right now ( knocking on wood ) ,...but with all this hurricane and power outages occurring lately it's got me thinking about rigging up a battery backup for a couple of my korilla Powerheads as a short term power outage precaution.,in case I'm away from my house/ generator.
So if I figure this out correctly.... Battery charger plugged into ac,..connected to motorcycle/ car battery ,..battery connected to a inverter ,.and Powerheads plugged into the inverter. Hopefully that's correct ,... And hopefully a smaller battery will run a powerhead or two for a couple of hours until power resumes. Any thoughts would be very welcomed.

that sounds fine it should run it for more then 2 hours i use a small marine battery on my boat it powers all my lights, radio, everything for 24 hours

What you have just described is a computer UPS. Except a computer UPS will recharge itself after a power outage.

As to the chiller. It depends. If the lights are pushing the tank water over 80 degrees or more, you probably would want a chiller IMO.

I don't necessarily agree with the penetration claims about MH. LEDs with proper lenses can do as well as MH.

Gregcoyote said:
What you have just described is a computer UPS. Except a computer UPS will recharge itself after a power outage.

As to the chiller. It depends. If the lights are pushing the tank water over 80 degrees or more, you probably would want a chiller IMO.

I don't necessarily agree with the penetration claims about MH. LEDs with proper lenses can do as well as MH.

Hey Greg , .. Yeah I know what you said about the ups,.... A friend at work gave me one that he bought a couple of few years back that had never been taken out if the box .... When it was setup and plugged in it flashed and beep loudly indicating that according to the user manual the battery was croaked,.. Kinda hard for me to believe but never the less I could not get it to work at all,... I finally figured that indeed the battery was doa,.. I just ordered a replacement battery ( $56 with s/h ) ... Hopefully this will work,... It's a smaller 500 va/300w unit,..hopefully it'll power a little korila pump or two for an hour or so..( our usual power outage is fairly short out here) . ... Got fingers crossed.,...I just hope it's got enough ump. To do something.:-/

Last edited:

right on its just what i read it basically said if you took an led and a MH around the same price you will have higher par readings on the sand bed with MH the picture shows 2 aquariums set up with identical stock and equipment the only difference is the light. so its the only control test Ive seen. but i already spent the money so i will have to see for myself

Attachments

• 1-27-12-parnumbers.jpg
    1-27-12-parnumbers.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 107
Dary421 said:
Hey Greg , .. Yeah I know what you said about the ups,.... A friend at work gave me one that he bought a couple of few years back that had never been taken out if the box .... When it was setup and plugged in it flashed and beep loudly indicating that according to the user manual the battery was croaked,.. Kinda hard for me to believe but never the less I could not get it to work at all,... I finally figured that indeed the battery was doa,.. I just ordered a replacement battery ( $56 with s/h ) ... Hopefully this will work,... It's a smaller 500 va/300w unit,..hopefully it'll power a little korila pump or two for an hour or so..( our usual power outage is fairly short out here) . ... Got fingers crossed.,...I just hope it's got enough ump. To do something.:-/

Glad you just mentioned this! I found one of these in our warehouse at work, not being used laying around. I decided to plug it in and check it out. When plugged in, the outlets worked, when unplugged, no go. So I thought it might just need to be charged. I left it plugged in overnight and checked it again today, still nothing but a load double beep...so the battery must be toast?
I'll check out the make and model of it tomorrow. So you can get a replacement battery huh?
Where did you order it from Dary?

Be sure it powers your power heads when plugged in. Even with a dead battery most of them will pass AC when plugged into the mains. Most UPS and inverters run these induction motors fine. But there are exceptions. The batteries are easily replaced and available on the Internet or at any battery store. Just be careful of shock hazard.

Flreefer said:
Glad you just mentioned this! I found one of these in our warehouse at work, not being used laying around. I decided to plug it in and check it out. When plugged in, the outlets worked, when unplugged, no go. So I thought it might just need to be charged. I left it plugged in overnight and checked it again today, still nothing but a load double beep...so the battery must be toast?
I'll check out the make and model of it tomorrow. So you can get a replacement battery huh?
Where did you order it from Dary?

Yep., mine did basically the same thing... I had a web site lusted on my ups unit and also in the user manual a listing of what battery to order from them.., as greg mentioned ., my powerhead would run fine if the ups was plugged into the ac but zero when trying to run via battery., except for that alarm saying the battery is dead.
Google something like ups batteries and you can find some replacements for your unit...Good luck

Last edited:
Thanks guys, since they aren't using it at the shop, I can probably get it for free. Just have to replace the battery. Figured it would work short-term, since I still don't have a generator, and Isaac was a near miss. :-(
We've also got a 2' double tube, Lifegaurd system that used to run a waterfall, mechanical and UV, but its ancient. Think I might just try to sell it, but it might just be too out-dated.
Thanks for the info!

Well ,..going along with the " battery backup" discussion,... I have the ups battery on order for my computer backp unit ,and that should be here by the end of the week.
But ,..just for an experiment , I bought myself a small black and decker battery trickle charger , a small two plugin inverter and decided that as long as I was going to buy a battery to hook up to this DIY battery backup supply that I might as well buy the exact battery that my motorcycle takes,..figuring that worse comes to worse I'd always have a charged bike battery on hand.:)
After hooking everything up I powered a little 400 gph powerhead for hours upon hours before I finally decided that it would work just fine,.., for the last two hours I've been running my diy battery backup ( on battery power) powering my wave maker hooked up to three large korilia Powerheads with no end in sight,.. I think I've accomplished my goal.... Most of our power outages out here are only for an hour or so ,. Hopefully, by utilizing all these little backups my tank will be ok for a short time ,..I still have my generator primed and ready just in case too.

Last edited:
Dary421 said:
Well ,..going along with the " battery backup" discussion,... I have the ups battery on order for my computer backp unit ,and that should be here by the end of the week.
But ,..just for an experiment , I bought myself a small black and decker battery trickle charger , a small two plugin inverter and decided that as long as I was going to buy a battery to hook up to this DIY battery backup supply that I might as well buy the exact battery that my motorcycle takes,..figuring that worse comes to worse I'd always have a charged bike battery on hand.:)
After hooking everything up I powered a little 400 gph powerhead for hours upon hours before I finally decided that it would work just fine,.., for the last two hours I've been running my diy battery backup ( on battery power) powering my wave maker hooked up to three large korilia Powerheads with no end in sight,.. I think I've accomplished my goal.... Most of our power outages out here are only for an hour or so ,. Hopefully, by utilizing all these little backups my tank will be ok for a short time ,..I still have my generator primed and ready just in case too.

And remember, a pair of fairly stout wires can allow you to plug your system into your car battery. A car is better than a generator as it almost always starts and has fresh gas in it. All depends on the distance from your tank to the car.

Back
Top Bottom