Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-16-2012, 11:44 AM   #621
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just a little observation/ update here regarding protein skimmers,....when I first ran my old 75 gallon tank I used a hob eshopps skimmer I believe rated for something like 150 gal (?) ,..and with all due respect for any and all opinions here,...that skimmer really rocked,...it removed the nastiest crud you'd ever wanted or didn't want to see coming from you're tank,....but once I got my sump installed etc I wanted to get a in sump model that would be big enough for any tank up grade I had coming......so being kinda a pirate I took a gamble I bought a redsea 1800 skimmer , (I know Greg also was running this same skimmer) however ,even after upgrading my tank to my new 135 and after eight or nine months of toying with this monster , I could never ever dial it in correctly,.. First it has a built in pump for the air intake but requires an additional pump for the intake and out flow of water,..originally I ran it off of my sump's return pump but that never seemed to work correctly and made for a lot of overflow problems, so I bought "the" redsea pump made for that skimmer,..( the first one did not work and was returned for another one ) that proved to be a lot better but the pump itself was really touchy,once you turned it off and tried to restart it ,it sometimes refused to restart so you'd have to fish the pump outa the sump and bang it around until it would restart.
If that wasn't bad enough ,.. It's got a separate water intake lever and separate air intake knob,...God knows that I spent many an hour trying to balance things out so it'd work properly,...about the best I could ever accomplish was to get the neck and the top of the lid to load up with the sludge but never taking the heavy duty sludge into the collection cup,..the collection cup always had water in it that smelled like old seawater but nothing really that would make you wanna heave.
That skimmer ( for me ) was scary in that you always feared something was going to happen when you were out,..flooding ,pump deciding to stop working etc.
So a few weeks ago mr .x ( Doug) in his thread was talking about how much he liked his newly acquired bubble magus skimmer,...so,.i decided to order myself a bubble magus 180 ex model,... Wow,..what a truly amazing difference !!! The bubble magus is so easy to setup ,no hidden features or tricky devices,...This thing will fill its collection cup with the raunchiest smelling crap weekly,... After experiencing what I had been seeing and smelling in the old red sea skimmer ,this sewer like ,vomit inducing smell coming out of the bubble magus collection cup smells like a "... Tiptoe thru the tulips". ( colonel potter,mash), to me.
Greg may have dialed his red sea in correctly and maybe for him and others maybe that skimmer rocks,..BUT ,..this is just MY experience regarding these two particular skimmers, just incase anyone is on the cusp about getting one.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #622
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have the red sea 1200 and it does work awesome, but the aspiration pump sounds like a diesel engine, unfortunately I got the thing from eBay and redsea won't warranty the pump, so I had to put my trusty aqua medic turbo floater 1000 back on, this skimmer also works really well.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:12 PM   #623
Aquarium Advice FINatic

From the sounds of things everyone has a problem at some time with the red sea skimmers. To anyone reading this stay away from red sea c-skim skimmers, and sea clone 150's are crap to.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:41 PM   #624
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Add coralife ss65 to that list, as well as the aqua-c remora!
Old 01-16-2012, 03:15 PM   #625
Aquarium Advice FINatic

We should make a don't buy thread. Lol
Old 01-16-2012, 03:49 PM   #626
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqasnatch
We should make a don't buy thread. Lol
That's what I was thinking ..,but, then what would we talk about ??? Lol
Old 01-16-2012, 07:42 PM   #627
Aquarium Advice FINatic

True enough, and we would all have exactly the same tank
Old 01-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #628
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I was both impressed and depressed by the Red Sea skimmer like Dary had. Mine stayed dialed in fine and is producing good foam, but it has it's issues. As its less than a year old, I am going to give it some more time, but I won't buy another like it.

I like how easy it is to clean and maintain.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #629
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote
I was both impressed and depressed by the Red Sea skimmer like Dary had. Mine stayed dialed in fine and is producing good foam, but it has it's issues. As its less than a year old, I am going to give it some more time, but I won't buy another like it.

I like how easy it is to clean and maintain.
It's almost like they set out to produce the perfect ultimate skimmer and maybe on paper it was,..BUT,.. In the real world maybe it was just over engineered and fell short of its mark.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:27 PM   #630
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm getting tons of microbubbles because of mine. They sell a bubble trap for it but it's like 20$+ shipping. Talk about under engineering lol.

needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com