Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow great to hear everything is good!! Your preparation seemed to be excellant too!

The waves at pipeline were supposed to hit 20-25 ft wednesday...so maybe that had somthing to do with that surge you felt;)

Gboy66 said:
Wow great to hear everything is good!! Your preparation seemed to be excellant too!

The waves at pipeline were supposed to hit 20-25 ft wednesday...so maybe that had somthing to do with that surge you felt;)

Re. swells...Thats exactly what we were thinking too... I feel a little better now knowing that everything tank wise went along without a hitch., hopefully i can retest it again next year.

It's great that everything survived the trip! Did u take any pics of the reef while you were there? And what happened to the trigger that was in the sump a while ago, I completely forget.

needmorecowbell said:
It's great that everything survived the trip! Did u take any pics of the reef while you were there? And what happened to the trigger that was in the sump a while ago, I completely forget.

Hey Adam,...yes,, we tried taking pictures of our snorkeling adventures but because of the murky conditions as I stated earlier, the pictures weren't too much to see ( even under photoshop) too bad because we saw some really cool critters,...unfortunately concerning the picaso triggerfish that was living in the sump ... He passed quietly one day a couple of months ago due to undetermined causes ,... This little guy definitely had nine lives and used them all up.
Other than that,..everything seems to be functioning very well.
Maybe one day when i get around to it i'll post a few of the better ones anyhow just for the heck of it... It sure was nice to see God's own aquarium up close and personal again.

Last edited:
Dary421 said:
Hey Adam,...yes,, we tried taking pictures of our snorkeling adventures but because of the murky conditions as I stated earlier, the pictures weren't too much to see ( even under photoshop) too bad because we saw some really cool critters,...unfortunately concerning the picaso triggerfish that was living in the sump ... He passed quietly one day a couple of months ago due to undetermined causes ,... This little guy definitely had nine lives and used them all up.
Other than that,..everything seems to be functioning very well.
Maybe one day when i get around to it i'll post a few of the better ones anyhow just for the heck of it... It sure was nice to see God's own aquarium up close and personal again.

Oh gotcha. Yep, I hope to see it too, but I'm worried it will change my views on aquariums too much.. In my mind, these are the two scenarios that go down.. I see a huge school tangs, and I'm disgusted with how we keep one In a 100 gal aquarium, sometimes less. Second, I see a huge school of tangs, and have a new dream of getting a tank big enough to have the same thing.. Either one wouldn't be very good lol.

I feel the exact same way when diving. That's why I try so hard to not just have a killing box. I have pride in my fish being old and fat.

needmorecowbell said:
Oh gotcha. Yep, I hope to see it too, but I'm worried it will change my views on aquariums too much.. In my mind, these are the two scenarios that go down.. I see a huge school tangs, and I'm disgusted with how we keep one In a 100 gal aquarium, sometimes less. Second, I see a huge school of tangs, and have a new dream of getting a tank big enough to have the same thing.. Either one wouldn't be very good lol.

I agree 100 %.,,,,IMO , once you actually see how the fish live on the reefs in person,,.you'll never look at the hobby agin in the same way,..i think we all strive to do the best we can regarding minimum aquarium sizes for different fish etc BUT, even using the minimum size tank rule it's not really duplicating their natural way of living.... When it comes to aquariums,.bigger is better

It makes a lot of difference as to the fish itself and how it will take to aquarium life. Many of our favorite fish have tiny territories even in the wild. Some clown fish never leave about a cubic yard of water space, ever. While angels, tangs, triggers, parrot fish all are like packs of wolves roaming large territories.

Not too much going on here tank wise... Everything seems to be on automatic and for the most part running fine, I think maybe my tank has finally settled in and has found its sweet spot .,everything coral wise is growing nicely or at least hanging in there,.. Just before my Hawaiian trip a month or so ago I accidentally knocked one of my " Martian" chalice's off of its perch and it settled itself between a couple of large rocks on the bottom of the tank,..trying to retrieve the chalice without damaging it was no easy task and tragically it sustained a large scrape/ bruise on it's soft facial side which by the time I retuned back from Hawaii the damage area had turned from a neon martian green to a tannish brown color with about a two inch area of tissue loss.,. I truly thought that I was going to lose my prize ( and expensive) show piece coral,..well. A month later,you'd never know that it had ever a injury in the first place. ,the martian green color is back!! I guess under the right conditions corals do have an amazing healing ability in their own right. ,reminds me of having a large cut or bruise on your arm and slowly watching it heal.
I truly feel for everyone trying to maintain their tanks in lieu of " sandy"., I'm sure there's going to be some amazing stories of survival and unfortunately , a lot of tales of disaster,... I've got my fingers crossed for everyone and their tank mates.

Last edited:
Jlsardina said:
Glad to hear everything is good and your alien is doing better. Lol

Hi Jodi !!! It's been awhile since I've heard from you,..hope all's well ,.i haven't been on the forum very much in the last couple of months so I've probably missed a lot of what was happening around here ,..the last time I remember ,..you were selling off some of your stock and maybe relocating? Hopefully all that is past and you're tank is a happy thriving community,..as I mentioned above ,.my tank seems to be running fine ,either that or everything has adapted well to the Martian like conditions :) either or,it's doing well.
Let us know what's going on in Jodi's aquatic world.,..IMO you've always been in that upper status level and someone that we can all learn from..... Standing by for wisdom !!

Dary421 said:
Hi Jodi !!! It's been awhile since I've heard from you,..hope all's well ,.i haven't been on the forum very much in the last couple of months so I've probably missed a lot of what was happening around here ,..the last time I remember ,..you were selling off some of your stock and maybe relocating? Hopefully all that is past and you're tank is a happy thriving community,..as I mentioned above ,.my tank seems to be running fine ,either that or everything has adapted well to the Martian like conditions :) either or,it's doing well.
Let us know what's going on in Jodi's aquatic world.,..IMO you've always been in that upper status level and someone that we can all learn from..... Standing by for wisdom !!

Well I haven't set up a personal tank again- but I designated a tank at the shop for myself. Lol. I've done a lot of fragging lately though so I've gained some new knowledge in that department.
I don't know about being in the upper status knowledge for our little hobby- I'm just a nerd with a desire to learn. Lol

One of my frag tanks...
img_2201939_0_c04c1e6cb5a7794c5df569b0f557373f.jpg

Glad to hear everything has been doing so well for your tank. I haven't been on here much lately either as I have been busy with the shop and work.

Jlsardina said:
Well I haven't set up a personal tank again- but I designated a tank at the shop for myself. Lol. I've done a lot of fragging lately though so I've gained some new knowledge in that department.
I don't know about being in the upper status knowledge for our little hobby- I'm just a nerd with a desire to learn. Lol

One of my frag tanks...

Glad to hear everything has been doing so well for your tank. I haven't been on here much lately either as I have been busy with the shop and work.

Wow... Nice looking frag tank,...don't cut yourself short,..you're a diva in the tank world

Hey Dary...hope you had a good turkey day. I am soaking in saltwater after doing some plumbing in the fish room. There sure is a "pretty side" and a "less pretty side" to this hobby!

Gregcoyote said:
Hey Dary...hope you had a good turkey day. I am soaking in saltwater after doing some plumbing in the fish room. There sure is a "pretty side" and a "less pretty side" to this hobby![/QUOte
Lol,...yep I'm reminded of that glamour every week when I do my pwc ,.. The other week I was soaking a little pump in vinegar to clean it out,.I decided to plug it in to circulate the vinegar thru the unit ,.well, it shot a stream of vinegar three feet directly into my left eye,... Truly a marvelous shot !!
After a quick dash to the sink to rinse my eye out all I could do was shake my head and laugh,... Yep " the pretty side" lol
As far as thanksgiving goes, I had probably the best one I can ever remember.,.hope you had the same

I had just finished the very last of my Xmas shopping and I stopped at my lfs to purchase another bucket of salt,... I was laughing to myself saying just go in grab a bucket of salt and get the heck out, do not go near the corals and do not look at the monti's .... Unfortunately , the salt is located about ten feet from where the monti's live so OF COURSE I ended up looking them over and bought this interesting little piece ,... It's prob about 5-6" across and mike my buddy at the store knocked off about $20 from the regular price,...with all it's little arms jetting out I figured in a year or so she may look pretty interesting ,..nothing like Greg's spiral cut ham monti but for me it was an interesting investment for the future ,... Couldn't beat the price even if I was tapped out from Xmas but what the heck I think maybe the humuhumu needed a present too... The colors in the pictures really suck but you'll get a idea,... Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday !!!!!

Attachments

• image-741264538.jpg
    image-741264538.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 154
  • image-1378647626.jpg
    image-1378647626.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 147
  • image-349454140.jpg
    image-349454140.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 159
I had just finished the very last of my Xmas shopping and I stopped at my lfs to purchase another bucket of salt,... I was laughing to myself saying just go in grab a bucket of salt and get the heck out, do not go near the corals and do not look at the monti's .... Unfortunately , the salt is located about ten feet from where the monti's live so OF COURSE I ended up looking them over and bought this interesting little piece ,... It's prob about 5-6" across and mike my buddy at the store knocked off about $20 from the regular price,...with all it's little arms jetting out I figured in a year or so she may look pretty interesting ,..nothing like Greg's spiral cut ham monti but for me it was an interesting investment for the future ,... Couldn't beat the price even if I was tapped out from Xmas but what the heck I think maybe the humuhumu needed a present too... The colors in the pictures really suck but you'll get a idea,... Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday !!!!!

Same to you Dary. I love caps. This one looks grape colored, is it?

Actually greg it's the pinkest color like your spiral cut ham monti .. my led's plays havoc with the iphone colors ...( except greens!)

Actually greg it's the pinkest color like your spiral cut ham monti .. my led's plays havoc with the iphone colors ...( except greens!)

I don't run as much blue light so my photos seem to be okay. My Idaho grape monti cap is getting thick. It grows differently than my other caps seem to. It is my first one, so I am not sure what to expect from it. It's purple color is pretty amazing. My purple Cerealis Acropora is growing fast. It is about the size of a baseball so far. I don't intend on fragging it until it is soccer ball sized. It is remarkable after all these years to be now able to grow things like this.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom