Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My plumber always told me that he doesn't drink water because fish poop in there. Greg, if it makes you feel any better my well is right below a corn field. There are times in the spring you filter the manure out of the water...

Sounds like iron is dropping out of solution when salt is added. My pre filters need to be changed quite often as we have so much iron here in coal country. We don't drink the water from the well at our farm as it has a sulfur smell. Livestock doesn't care.

Check this out....
img_2285581_0_071857fab7219a764b0ba56b0cc1bdef.jpg

Mine looks like that but all white. I just washed mine out last weekend or I would get a shot of it. Might ask Reef Crystals. Googled it and lots of folks are reporting the same thing. Brown residue.

Last edited:
I can't say for sure but I think everyone is getting different reactions from the different variations of water sources.

I don't think it has anything to do with the water if we are all using R.O.D.I units with low to no T.D.S.
Also, if it's the water, why is the fresh water barrel right next to that one spotless clean?

Doesn't make sense to me either. When reading posts from others it seems that some get the brown precipitate, some don't. Maybe there is variation between batches, but using RO/DI water with measured low TDS should eleminate makeup water as part of the problem. Will shoot a picture of the white bottom in my mix barrel.

Pretty good thread on this same topic;
http://198.92.103.102/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=9639326

It doesn't seem the precipitate harms anything.

Last edited:
Ok guess ill chime in real quick since people are mentioning trying Kent and that's what I use. I'm at 13 months of Kent reef salt and I've had maybe 1/10 mixes end up with the Brown residue. Same batch of salt yet I've seen different results in the end and also as with everyone else this IS 0tds water. The top off container has never had this brown residue so I agree the water is not the issue. Imo, although don't know how much its worth on the subject lol. I believe that its how the salt has been mixed. The reason I say this is because I know that calcium precipitation can happen when alk climbs to fast so maybe something like the iron needs so much buffer before the water can properly hold it.

I think some batches get some clay and/or iron in them. Seems many brands have this occurring occasionally.

Dary, I think you will be just fine with RC.

Ok guess ill chime in real quick since people are mentioning trying Kent and that's what I use. I'm at 13 months of Kent reef salt and I've had maybe 1/10 mixes end up with the Brown residue. Same batch of salt yet I've seen different results in the end and also as with everyone else this IS 0tds water. The top off container has never had this brown residue so I agree the water is not the issue. Imo, although don't know how much its worth on the subject lol. I believe that its how the salt has been mixed. The reason I say this is because I know that calcium precipitation can happen when alk climbs to fast so maybe something like the iron needs so much buffer before the water can properly hold it.

Thanks for the input.... Kind of justifies what mr. X was saying ,....has anyone noticed an increase in residue on their glass ,protein skimmers ,rocks etc when using a batch of the slimmy stuff ?

No. I haven't given up on it either, just saying what I've found. I still keep it in the rotation, however, I believe there's some nutrient in it that's unnecessary.

Well as you can see my reef crystals have arrived... Im in the process of making up about 40 gallons of rodi water... Should be up and running tomorrow ... Ive got my fingers crossed that this isn't a brown slime batch

Attachments

• image-1097984199.jpg
    image-1097984199.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
I spoke with my LFS and he has not experience any issue as they use RC. I think I will contact the manufacture as I would like to know what's up.

One big difference in Reef Crystals to Instant Ocean, both made at the same plant, is the Reef Crystals contains both vitamins and a metal chelator. Instant Ocean has neither of these. The issue with brown scum seems to happen when the mixed water sits for a week or more, it allows those organics to drop out of solution making the brown gunk. The metal chelator might also contribute to the problem. So I guess the trick might be use it soon after its mixed and settled. Like maybe 24-48 hours. That might be the difference, I don't leave saltwater in my barrel, I mix it up 24 hours before I use it.

Last edited:
One big difference in Reef Crystals to Instant Ocean, both made at the same plant, is the Reef Crystals contains both vitamins and a metal chelator. Instant Ocean has neither of these. The issue with brown scum seems to happen when the mixed water sits for a week or more, it allows those organics to drop out of solution making the brown gunk. The metal chelator might also contribute to the problem. So I guess the trick might be use it soon after its mixed and settled. Like maybe 24-48 hours. That might be the difference, I don't leave saltwater in my barrel, I mix it up 24 hours before I use it.

Ah good point... Usually i make up my water after my pwc on monday and it churns in the tub until the following monday... Maybe ill try just making up my rodi water on monday and ill add the salt 24-48 hours before as you say....thanks for the tip/ advice.... A question though., why wouldn't your mixed salt do the same in your display tank also ?

Ah good point... Usually i make up my water after my pwc on monday and it churns in the tub until the following monday... Maybe ill try just making up my rodi water on monday and ill add the salt 24-48 hours before as you say....thanks for the tip/ advice.... A question though., why wouldn't your mixed salt do the same in your display tank also ?

Good question. I would assume possible stagnation since we only have. One pump in the bucket, where our tanks have chaotic changing flow patterns. Though this is a stretch often imagination. All I know is that I mix my batch up 24 hours before the change and don't have this build up in my bucket.

Back
Top Bottom