Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-18-2012, 07:09 PM   #721
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I don't even live in that house any more, but still, how do you explain the inverts not dying? Someone told me that the GFI wouldn't trip because it doesn't protect from that sort of situation. I don't remember the exact explanation though. This was a few years ago.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #722
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

The clue may have been that arc welding you saw going on. That would without a doubt put metals (copper from the contacts) into the water. My guess is that had more to do with poisoning the corals, but not affecting the fish or inverts as badly. If your tank was leaking saltwater, I would be more inclined to think a ground was present. Had there been any significant current flowing the GFI would have tripped.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:17 PM   #723
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
I don't even live in that house any more, but still, how do you explain the inverts not dying? Someone told me that the GFI wouldn't trip because it doesn't protect from that sort of situation. I don't remember the exact explanation though. This was a few years ago.
That's exactly what a GFI is designed to do, why they are in bathrooms and hot tubs by code. Somebody told you wrong
Old 02-18-2012, 10:38 PM   #724
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post

Hope this helps. Just a paragraph that explains it well, well at least for me it does.

"A GFCI monitors the amount of current flowing from hot to neutral. If there is any imbalance, it trips the circuit. It is able to sense a mismatch as small as 4 or 5 milliamps, and it can react as quickly as one-thirtieth of a second."

EDIT +1 for replacing GFCI, but since you don't live there anymore.....However you may want to test/double check the ones where you live now to be sure they are working. Most of them have "test" and "reset" buttons. If they don't "trip" (you'll hear a small click), then I would replace those that don't pass the test.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:27 PM   #725
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh they're built in? I put a big box thing on my outlet, what's that?
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:04 AM   #726
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
It doesn't effect the fish. I'm not sure why, but they aren't bothered by it.
It's the same reason a squirrel don't get fried on a 10k volt line. It has to be grounded.

Edit. Took time to reed the thread and it was explained in much more depth. I have heard that line workers on a high voltage line is actually able to feel it. Not get shocked but they can feel some kind if sensation. Might have a little something to do with the corals.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:25 AM   #727
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
The clue may have been that arc welding you saw going on. That would without a doubt put metals (copper from the contacts) into the water. My guess is that had more to do with poisoning the corals, but not affecting the fish or inverts as badly. If your tank was leaking saltwater, I would be more inclined to think a ground was present. Had there been any significant current flowing the GFI would have tripped.
The bleaching and browning happened instantly, before your eyes. not something that heavy metals poisoning would produce.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:24 AM   #728
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAhner

It's the same reason a squirrel don't get fried on a 10k volt line. It has to be grounded.

Edit. Took time to reed the thread and it was explained in much more depth. I have heard that line workers on a high voltage line is actually able to feel it. Not get shocked but they can feel some kind if sensation. Might have a little something to do with the corals.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1507844

Interesting discussion. The flood of copper ions would be almost instant. They would disperse very rapidly. Just as fast as if you dosed the tank, maybe faster as this is pure copper being flashed into incandesence while mixing with your tank water. Still think it is likely cause. JIMO
Old 02-19-2012, 08:45 AM   #729
Aquarium Advice Addict

Copper? Again, what about the inverts? Sorry about the thread jack Dary!
Old 02-19-2012, 08:49 AM   #730
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Copper? Again, what about the inverts? Sorry about the thread jack Dary!
No problem., this is what this whole treads about... Carry on my boy., its getting pretty interesting

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com