Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great explanation! Well worth the read and more than appropriate. Do you remember the Buggs Bunny episode where he pretends to be Hawaiian and the only thing he knows how to say is humahumanukunukuapowaha? Kills me every time! Sorry, I know that's so random but just watched it with the kids the other day. Couldn't help myself. lol

I had once read it was something like "the hog snout fish that fits things together". That was a LONG time ago though. Yours sounds way more believable.

"The reef, rectangular, or wedge-tail triggerfish, also known by its Hawaiian name, humuhumunukunukuāpuaʻa (pronounced [ˈhumuˈhumuˈnukuˈnukuˈwaːpuˈwɐʔə]), also spelled Humuhumunukunukuapua'a or just humuhumu for short; meaning "fish that grunts like a pig" for the sound it makes when cornered or caught.,[1][2][3] is one of several species of triggerfish."

I've Been looking at skimmers again and I've been thinking about the home town made ( san diego) aqua c ev series,..more than likely the ev 240 with a mag 12 pump,..not that my present skimmer isn't doing its job ok ,but after talking to a friend that has a smaller one and hearing his stories about pulling out junk from his water vs what his old octopus did it has me kinda intrigued ,..I measured my sump and it'll fit into the normal first chamber nicely with room for the pump too., I was wondering if anyone has any hands on experience to share before pulling the trigger.
Yes I do realize how they operate vs the normal type skimmers and about 95% of all the reviews I've read both thru online store sites and other " reef forums" seem to be very favorable ,..I'm still on the cusp about the whole idea but would like any input if available .

Thats what i keep telling myself.. its trying to get myself to listen is the hard part :-/

I'm a skimmer-a-holic so I say if you think it's a good fit then pull the trigger and let me know how it works. Lol maybe ill get another too hehe.

Upgrading equipment is always a good thing, but as said if its not broken, why mess with it? I would start by doing a accurate measurement of phosphate. If it is below .1 then a new skimmer isn't gonna do much more. My zoas like it about .1, while my SPS likes it about .05. In my system it takes chemical filtration (purigen) to drive it much under .1 and thats with two skimmers running. You can polish the water too much. So I vary between the two limits. I think phosphate levels are the most meaningful organic level you can easily measure, so I would use that to judge the effectiveness of your current regime.

Last edited:
How is it different from a normal skimmer?

In a nutshell a normal skimmer's pump spins a little wheel with pins etc which makes bubbles .. These aqua c 's and others use a much larger pump and spray a much larger volume of water thru a spray injector to make its bubbles

I haven't used the EV series, but I have used the Remora, which utilizes the same spray technology. I didn't like that skimmer at all. Not only did it not pull skimmate, but it was so loud we had to shut it off at night. I bet you can find as many people that like the Coralife Super Skimmer 65. Can you say HOOPTY?

I haven't used the EV series, but I have used the Remora, which utilizes the same spray technology. I didn't like that skimmer at all. Not only did it not pull skimmate, but it was so loud we had to shut it off at night. I bet you can find as many people that like the Coralife Super Skimmer 65. Can you say HOOPTY?

I hate my coralife 125 skimmer. That's why I also run a secondary much bigger one. I keep thinking of replacing the coralife with an octopus but it ain't gonna fit my sump well :(

I'd kill for that alien eye, I'm falling in love with chalices, of course they're the most expensive thing in the market right now lol.

One of myy LFS has more in stock of the Alien Eye Mycedium Chalice:

http://www.neptuneaquatics.com/

Don't know if its listed on their site, but here's a link anyways. I saw 2 or 3 colonies there yesterday. Not sure if the ship though. If interested contact them.

One of myy LFS has more in stock of the Alien Eye Mycedium Chalice:

http://www.neptuneaquatics.com/

Don't know if its listed on their site, but here's a link anyways. I saw 2 or 3 colonies there yesterday. Not sure if the ship though. If interested contact them.

Thanks for the update ,...I'll probably wait until summer to get another one,..I just wanna make sure these two that I already have continue to do ok before getting another

I bought a tiny frag from what looked like an alien eye at the LFS Saturday. He wanted $170 for the whole piece, but I got a frag the size of a dime for $20. Will see how it does.

I bought a tiny frag from what looked like an alien eye at the LFS Saturday. He wanted $170 for the whole piece, but I got a frag the size of a dime for $20. Will see how it does.

Knowing you and your setup it'll be bigger than ours in no time !!!

Back
Top Bottom