Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-19-2012, 07:22 PM   #731
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

My only guess it was dose dependent. There just wasn't enough current flowing to kill anything like coral I don't think. Your tank bottom is a near perfect insulator and unless there was another grounding possibility, no current. Had you reached into the tank, the GFI would have popped, or you would have. Why the GFI wasn't affected is there wasn't anything wrong as far as it was concerned. It will remain a mystery.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:07 AM   #732
Aquarium Advice Addict

As for the GFI not tripping, I tend to believe it was just a bad GFI. No matter what killed the corals, when the short happened, an imbalance was present in the electrical circuit. If working properly, the GFI should have tripped. Greg, what you are suggesting is very possible but in my mind, it was current. However, in an arcing situation like that, the currents (amparage) increases astronomically in an instant. This causes lots for metals and plastics to vaporize. It is definitely possible that the vaporized materials permeated the water column.

As said, it may remain a mystery for ever. The first thing I learned when studying electrical theory was that if they knew everything about electricity and how it acts they would call it electrical fact. LOL That sounds funny but is exactly true. They can not even prove the electricity exists. All they can do is prove the observable effects and summarize how it all works. Grant it they are 99.99999999% sure they are right but they just don't have the means to proof it.

And to Buffy, you are right about the line men feeling it. In the huge distribution lines that cross the country the voltages are so high that the only way they can safely work on them is to energize their bodies to the same potential as the line they are working on. There was a documentary on Discovery a few years ago that showed this very well. It followed GA Power line men doing line maintenance. A guy would sit on a platform attached on the outside of a helicopter. The chopper would fly close to the line and the guy would reach out with a wand and make contact with the line. Because the chopper (and people) were not at the same potential as the line, an arc would occur when making contact with the wand. But once the wand was in full contact, the chopper and people are then at the same potential as the line and could safely work on it. As the voltages encountered increase, insulating yourself against it becomes impractical so the better way is to just bring yourself to the same potential as the equipment you are working on.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #733
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow,..I just realized that it's been about a month since I've posted anything..., unfortunately ,.. Thru no ones fault but my own,..I've really been neglecting my tank lately and it's starting to show the signs of my poor management . In my own defense,..a lot has gone on,...tweaking my knee , having been bedridden with the flu which totally kicked my butt for a week or so and now trying to get my doggie taken care with the vet etc etc.
Yeah,..I know I still should have tried a little harder but I totally let things go...today I take " scruffy" in for a tooth extraction etc,..I think I'm more nervous than he is.
I'll do my pwc this morning and will try and get my tank back on track again,....soooo hard to get everything working right and soooo easy for it to slide in the other direction,..... I can't blame anyone but myself ,... Hopefully , the worst is behind me,..gotta take the reins again and try and get this thing righted,...
Hope everyone else is doing great,...got my fingers crossed!
Old 03-12-2012, 11:49 AM   #734
Aquarium Advice Addict

whats going on thats bad? algae?
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #735
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Sorry to hear about your knee and tank. I have a pretty beat up knee too, I know the feeling. Once you get things back under control I can't wait to see some new pics, your mushrooms, and everything in your tank for that matter, are great.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #736
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks you guys... I spent the morning trying to scrape off a bunch of coraline algae off of the front viewing pane., this is the first acrylic tank ive owned and i have discovered that getting off that coraline algae is a real chore with a plastic scraper. , i used to like using a razor blade with my old glass tank ( sooo much easier ) .
After checking my tank's parameters for the first time in weeks, i have found that my calcium level was a little low and my nitrates were a little too high for my liking.., before i moved my picaso triggerfish to the refugium for safe keeping i had a ton of cheato in there which I'm sure helped to keep the nitrates in check., but since the trigger has been in there he has managed to totally wipe out every single blade of it.
Ill swing by the lfs this week and will try and add some more and hope for the best.
I also have one of my hammer corals that is slowly fading away , possibly from the elevated nitrates levels along with one of my monti's .
Now that I'm feeling better again hopefully i can keep a little closer tabs on whats going on in my tank
Old 03-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #737
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I can mail you some Dary, just pay for shipping. I have way too much.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #738
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
I can mail you some Dary, just pay for shipping. I have way too much.
Pm sent
Old 03-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #739
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I hope you have a big refugium!
Old 03-12-2012, 06:23 PM   #740
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
I hope you have a big refugium!
Just how big of a box should I be expecting ? Lol...... Thank you Doug!!!

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com