Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-15-2012, 06:44 PM   #761
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dary421 View Post
Arrived safe and sound,....thank you Doug
Awesome! I figured it would since it was such good weather. No leaks?

Old 03-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #762
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
Awesome! I figured it would since it was such good weather. No leaks?
No runs no drips no errors.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #763
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okie dokie.., a little update regarding some water parameters and losing a few corals..... Now keep in mind that most of these corals that I've had in my tank have been growing very very well for months with no signs of anything going bad,..., then a few weeks ago I started to lose one of my hammer corals and then another,..a couple if my encrusting monti's which had bee growing unbelievably well stared to die off,.... My water parameters as of this morning are

Salinity- 1.026
Temp-79.4
Alk-10.1
Ca-400
Mg-1280
Phos-0.16
Nitrates -1.5

But ,..I did notice this morning that my bulk reef 5 stage r.i.d.o. Filter was registering a tds reading of 116 going in and 15 coming out,.... Would or could this be the cause of the corals dying? .. I did order a replacement set of filters this morning,.... All my other corals etc seem to be doing well.... Any thoughts or ideas etc would be appreciated,...thanks Dary

Ps..135 gal and i do an aprox 25 gal weekly pwc
Old 03-27-2012, 02:30 PM   #764
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

The higher TDS reading just shows that you need to replace probably the resin in the filter...but that value shouldn't harm corals. The nutrient levels seem a bit high...phosphate should be undetectable. Would double down on the water exchanges until values comeback into line. All tanks ebb and flow. It doesn't take much reduction in attention before it shows. That's why keeping a reef up for years is a challenge.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:42 PM   #765
Aquarium Advice Addict

yep, as greg said, your phos is a little high. Phosphate test kits cant measure low enough for what is ideal, so a reading on it is a problem. do you use gfo? if you dont have it and dont want to buy a reactor for it (although 2 little fishies sells it for 30$), you could use chemipure elite which has some in it.
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:42 PM   #766
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote
The higher TDS reading just shows that you need to replace probably the resin in the filter...but that value shouldn't harm corals. The nutrient levels seem a bit high...phosphate should be undetectable. Would double down on the water exchanges until values comeback into line. All tanks ebb and flow. It doesn't take much reduction in attention before it shows. That's why keeping a reef up for years is a challenge.
Thanks Greg
Old 03-27-2012, 02:45 PM   #767
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell
yep, as greg said, your phos is a little high. Phosphate test kits cant measure low enough for what is ideal, so a reading on it is a problem. do you use gfo? if you dont have it and dont want to buy a reactor for it (although 2 little fishies sells it for 30$), you could use chemipure elite which has some in it.
I'm using the red sea reef foundation test kits and yes I'm using gfo and chemipure elite... Maybe just not enough
Old 03-27-2012, 02:48 PM   #768
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

BRS has a nice calculator on their website to determine the proper amounts of carbon and gfo.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:13 PM   #769
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
BRS has a nice calculator on their website to determine the proper amounts of carbon and gfo.
Ill look into that .., thanks
Old 03-27-2012, 03:57 PM   #770
Aquarium Advice Addict

i also like my purigen, that might help. maybe its time to replace the gfo or something.

needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com