Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like to go by air and water stats. The more air and water a pump pulls in, the better the skimmer. The wheels can always be tweaked.

That makes good engineering sense. More is better. The finer the froth, the more surface area available to attract long protein chain molecules. I think that's more important than the shape of the riser. I use to run old fashioned Venturi skimmers and these new recirculator types with the high air flow needle wheel pumps are far superior.

In the end, who cares how it happens, you just want the nasty stuff in the collection cup.

The Red Sea unit has a handy wash down feature and is easy to clean. That's about all I liked about it.

Last edited:
Just curiosity getting the best of me this morning..... What physically is the difference between a circulation pump vs a pressure pump manufactured by the same company? Would it be the size and the shape of the impellers propelling the water or maybe more windings on the motor ? Or does the circulation pump use impellers and the pressure pump use a diaphragm/ piston ? Just wondering... :-/

Last edited:
Gregcoyote said:
That makes good engineering sense. More is better. The finer the froth, the more surface area available to attract long protein chain molecules. I think that's more important than the shape of the riser. I use to run old fashioned Venturi skimmers and these new recirculator types with the high air flow needle wheel pumps are far superior.

In the end, who cares how it happens, you just want the nasty stuff in the collection cup.

The Red Sea unit has a handy wash down feature and is easy to clean. That's about all I liked about it.

I find the red sea pulls out skim like crazy, but I find the wash down feature not that helpful. Doesn't really wash much, and whenever I use it the skimmer cup will fill up half way with water before goin back to normal

I find the red sea pulls out skim like crazy, but I find the wash down feature not that helpful. Doesn't really wash much, and whenever I use it the skimmer cup will fill up half way with water before goin back to normal

I didn't have that problem with it. My problem is it liked to leak.

Just curiosity getting the best of me this morning..... What physically is the difference between a circulation pump vs a pressure pump manufactured by the same company? Would it be the size and the shape of the impellers propelling the water or maybe more windings on the motor ? Or does the circulation pump use impellers and the pressure pump use a diaphragm/ piston ? Just wondering... :-/

Pressure pumps are designed to lift water. There will be a maximum "head" pressure. They can be designed any number of ways. Circulation pumps usually optimize flow rate, not pressure. In fact I call pumps we use for circulation, fans. It describes their function as water movers rather than water lifters.

Pressure pumps are designed to lift water. There will be a maximum "head" pressure. They can be designed any number of ways. Circulation pumps usually optimize flow rate, not pressure. In fact I call pumps we use for circulation, fans. It describes their function as water movers rather than water lifters.

Yes i understand but if you were to slice a circulation pump and a pressure pump in half what would be different inside?

Almost all water pumps designed for the aquarium trade are impeller based. The impeller size and tolerances as well as motor torque determine water flow and pressure. Open impellers like used for flow have a open cavity and work more like a fan. I am unaware of any aquarium pumps that use diaphragms or pistons anymore except for air. Hope that's what you meant.

Almost all water pumps designed for the aquarium trade are impeller based. The impeller size and tolerances as well as motor torque determine water flow and pressure. Open impellers like used for flow have a open cavity and work more like a fan. I am unaware of any aquarium pumps that use diaphragms or pistons anymore except for air. Hope that's what you meant.

Yes.., thats what i was referring too.. Thank you.. .., i told the guys at the shop that you'd cone thru :)

My skimmer house is now complete and now i only need to order it ( come on tax refund ) ... Im starting to feel like a little looking forwards to xmas.... Hopefully this monster will skim a ton as all the reviews say it will.

Attachments

• image-2261777660.jpg
    image-2261777660.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 103
  • image-3966490594.jpg
    image-3966490594.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 108
  • image-701995260.jpg
    image-701995260.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 90
  • image-1985336224.jpg
    image-1985336224.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 98
  • image-3350538188.jpg
    image-3350538188.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 108
  • image-2772272481.jpg
    image-2772272481.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 129
  • image-2010123786.jpg
    image-2010123786.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 89
Pressure pumps are radial flow pumps. Water comes in the middle and then 'radiates' outward to the discharge section via inertia created when the vanes spin the water.
Circulation pumps are axial flow pumps. Water travels into the pumps axis and is accelerated by the impeller blades.
The types of vanes on axial and radial impellers are completely different.

Pressure pumps are radial flow pumps. Water comes in the middle and then 'radiates' outward to the discharge section via inertia created when the vanes spin the water.
Circulation pumps are axial flow pumps. Water travels into the pumps axis and is accelerated by the impeller blades.
The types of vanes on axial and radial impellers are completely different.

Thanks Ingy ,...I just googled it and I know a heck of a lot more about the differences between the two pumps than I did this morning !!!!

Does that mean you are going to become dangerous now? :)

Yes It does .... I'm caught in a time warp,... Somewhere between " the young and the restless " to the old and the senseless,...glad to see you back Buffster , hope you're healing well.

Last edited:
Yes I does .... I'm caught a time warp,... Somewhere between " the young and the restless " to the old and the senseless,...glad to see you back Buffster , hope you're healing well.

I am back here and there. Healing is going good just way too slow. Didn't realize how heavy my head is with lack of muscles. They are coming back tho cause 2 qts of water 2x a day for tank top off is getting easier lol.

Great news ,(...at least for me,).... I finally got to push the button this morning and ordered my new skimmer!!! Yesterday I ordered some assorted plumbing parts and pieces and last week ordered my blueline pump,....now comes the hard part,....waiting!

Last edited:
Great news ,(...at least for me,).... I finally got to push the button this morning and ordered my new skimmer!!! Yesterday I ordered some assorted plumbing parts and pieces and last week ordered my blueline pump,....now comes the hard part,....waiting!

Congrats. I have had my skimmer in the cart ready to check out three times thus week but then reality hits and I talk myself into waiting........only to then order corals :p

Congrats. I have had my skimmer in the cart ready to check out three times thus week but then reality hits and I talk myself into waiting........only to then order corals :p

Thanks Keith , whew !!!,.... The way I look at it ,..if you've spent as much time as you have (and myself) looking at these skimmers and actually put them into the cart etc,...then just go ahead and order the #*^# thing ,..you're going to do it anyway and it's only going to help the corals in the long run,... I won't tell the mrs. ...... I really like your skimmer btw..... It'll be interesting to compare performances down the line :-/

This Hydor 2500 has been on line for a week now. Best skimmer I have ever had.

I really never had a doubt after seeing it,... I never realized how unreliable a skimmer could be until I owned the red sea 1800 and on the other hand my bubble magus 180 ex has Been a "set it and forget it " skimmer and has run flawlessly ,. Hopefully my new mrc mr- 2r will be as good as the reviews say,...hopefully, all the parts and pieces will be here this week and we can get started.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom