Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-24-2012, 05:57 PM   #811
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flreefer
Hey Dary, I see in your bio that you've got a Bubble Magnus skimmer, I will be upgrading mine soon, and was thinking about the Bubble magnus. What do you think of it? I have a little over 200g, total volume, and was considering the NA9 I think it was called.
I'd appreciate your input over generic reviews,
Thanks,
Toby
Hey Toby ,...I've got the BM 180 ex and I really like it,....it's a little. Workhorse,....I bought my bubble magus after hearing mr,. X talk about his,.... I figured if it's good enough for Doug than its good enough for me ! Very easy to adjust clean etc,, I don't think I'd hesitate too much on a bubble magus.
You might even check eBay ,..sometimes you'll find some dealers that have an overstock ,... That's what I did and if memory serves me right I think I saved something like $50 - $60 over the best price I could find over the Internet ,....hope this helps a little, Dary

Old 04-24-2012, 06:01 PM   #812
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell
You gotta take a look at mine then, the thick ones are stylophoras..
It's a lot thicker than it looks in this pic though.. Mainly because of polyp extension.
From that angle ,..that picture looks remarkably like the head of a moray eel coming out of a rock.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:21 PM   #813
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for the review, I've really heard nothing but good things about them.
Tank looks great, is that a big Chalice in pic 2?
Old 04-24-2012, 06:33 PM   #814
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flreefer
Thanks for the review, I've really heard nothing but good things about them.
Tank looks great, is that a big Chalice in pic 2?
Toby .. Re.the magus- I haven't looked back since I got it,.. And yes the 2nd picture has two echinophyllia chalices side by side,....I've got a couple more and for some reason they're doing rather well dispute me.,...they must be tough !
Old 04-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #815
Aquarium Advice Addict

I like Chalice, I bought a frag about a year ago. It's doind well, but completely getting encroached, by a Red Cap. Think I'm going to trade the Cap at my LFS this weekend to uncover the Chalice. I was going to just move it, but when I went to relocate it I noticed its attached to the back glass. Figured I would leave it until I could trade it. I have more, Montis love my tank...Zoos on the other hand... Not so much!! They will live, but not really proliferate, always been this way, worst luck with zoos.
Anyway, thanks for the feedback, and nice Chalices!

Attachment 90888

Time to make some adjustments!
Old 04-24-2012, 10:54 PM   #816
Aquarium Advice Addict

Haha now I see it! Never noticed that before!
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:54 PM   #817
Aquarium Advice Addict

Somewhere once upon a time on this forum I read about about someone who had some of the koralia powerheads connected to their wave maker,...the individual had stated that once the powerhead was switched off on its cycle and then restarted that it would " suck" water instead of " pushing" water.until the next cycle,....well,...I've got four of the power heads connected to my wave maker and three of the four powerheads work as designed ,..but one of them every now and then will indeed start to suck water instead of pushing it..., unfortunately ,..a few days ago I was watching tv and looked up and hadn't seen " Goldie" my yellow tang swimming around for a while ,...a search of the aquarium found Goldie pinned to the sucking powerhead,.., I remove Goldie and unplugged the powerhead and re plugged it back in to reverse the flow again.
Unfortunately ,...Goldie wasn't looking too good after her ordeal,...she went behind a wall of rocks and after 15-20 minutes came back out but wasn't very interested in any food that was being offered etc,....long story short. Goldie disappeared into the crevices of a couple of hundred pounds of rocks never to be seen again. Shinning a flash lite thru the rocks never produced a body., and trying to remove the rock work was totally out of the question., I figured that my triggerfish probably disposed of most of the carcass rather rapidly .
Has anyone else experienced this during this on off cycle.? I imagine a new powerhead is in order to replace the one that sucks,...kind of a bummer, Goldie was very cool and will be missed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2686767773.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	92106   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-312674803.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	92107  

Old 04-30-2012, 04:03 PM   #818
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Oh dary, so sorry about your tang. :-( Thats a real tragic story and maybe someone can learn from it. My korlias do that also, sometimes anyway, they will suck instead of push. I have my wavemaker on a rapid switch though so it's only once in a while.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #819
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
Oh dary, so sorry about your tang. :-( Thats a real tragic story and maybe someone can learn from it. My korlias do that also, sometimes anyway, they will suck instead of push. I have my wavemaker on a rapid switch though so it's only once in a while.
Thanks Carey,.. Yeah it's a bummer ..., but I wonder if replacing that particular powerhead will cure the problem or if it's just the nature of the beast in general,.. Live and learn I guess.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:41 PM   #820
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bummer. Sorry to hear that Dary. I know how you feel. My yellow died last week =/

Interestingly enough, a similar issue happened to one of the Korallia PHs at my LFS. He's got 3 joined and 1 of them was pulling instead of pushing on every other cycle. He replaced the faulty PH only to have the issue duplicate itself on a different PH that didn't have that issue. He replaced the wavemaker and everything turned out all right. He put back the original PH he thought was faulty and it worked fine. Not sure if the wavemaker was at fault, just something to think about and/or to test if you replace the PH.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com