Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #871
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry, can't really help with the how many of which size, but I will say, that I currently run (2) MP10w ES's in my 54 corner and they are at a perfect (to me) flow set at 60% intensity MAX on one of the programs. It really creates a whole scheme of flow ratios in my tank, and I too have one as Master and one as Slave. They are also incorporated into my Radion LED, but honestly, other than going into nighttime mode from the LED, they don't really do much else together with the LEDs.

I am extremely happy with them. I'm sure you will be too.

I guess the moral of my long post was to say that, you will want enough power to not have them at full speed. The higher the intensity, the louder they get. For myself, I like to shoot for (50x) per hour of flow. In your tank that's 6750 gph. Therefore I would think that you would want to do two of the MP40's as they are 3200 MAX which leaves 350gph to be taken up by the return pump.

The MP10's are only 1500 MAX so you would be off by another 200 and that's at their max rating. Plus the MP40 is $465, compared with two 10's at $570.

In my opinion, but NOT IME, I would recommend two of the MP-40's. Have fun!

Old 05-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #872
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLTGF
Sorry, can't really help with the how many of which size, but I will say, that I currently run (2) MP10w ES's in my 54 corner and they are at a perfect (to me) flow set at 60% intensity MAX on one of the programs. It really creates a whole scheme of flow ratios in my tank, and I too have one as Master and one as Slave. They are also incorporated into my Radion LED, but honestly, other than going into nighttime mode from the LED, they don't really do much else together with the LEDs.

I am extremely happy with them. I'm sure you will be too.

I guess the moral of my long post was to say that, you will want enough power to not have them at full speed. The higher the intensity, the louder they get. For myself, I like to shoot for (50x) per hour of flow. In your tank that's 6750 gph. Therefore I would think that you would want to do two of the MP40's as they are 3200 MAX which leaves 350gph to be taken up by the return pump.

The MP10's are only 1500 MAX so you would be off by another 200 and that's at their max rating. Plus the MP40 is $465, compared with two 10's at $570.

In my opinion, but NOT IME, I would recommend two of the MP-40's. Have fun!
Thank you,...that's kinda what I was figuring would be my best bet ( 2-40's)..... Im not running those LEDs so that's not an issue,...but it'll be interesting to experiment with the different modes and intensities to find out what's best for the tank,.... Now I just gotta get the nerve to push the button.... :-/

Old 05-05-2012, 08:11 PM   #873
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I just got my first vortech this week, picked up an MP10 for my rimless 60g. It seems to be a great little powerhead so far, mine is very quiet and moved alot of crap off my rocks when i first put in in. As far as the cost, well, I am still feeling violated LOL. It's a big price tag and I'm not even sure if it's the best yet. hehe...it better be though....
Old 05-06-2012, 07:48 PM   #874
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
I just got my first vortech this week, picked up an MP10 for my rimless 60g. It seems to be a great little powerhead so far, mine is very quiet and moved alot of crap off my rocks when i first put in in. As far as the cost, well, I am still feeling violated LOL. It's a big price tag and I'm not even sure if it's the best yet. hehe...it better be though....
Yeah,...as far as the cost of the pumps go they probably should include a little high grade lubricant with each package,...:-/ ,that being said,. I went ahead and ordered 1 ( one) singular 40 for now,...I'll probably mount it on the right side of the aquarium and'll continue to run a couple of the koralia's on the left side until such a time that I feel a need to get another vortech or abandon the whole idea and return to the koralia's ,.... Other than that,the whole aquarium as a whole seemingly has bounced back nicely from the evil bouts of Dr. Dary's experimentations with calcium dosing etc..
My little world has returned to a happier place for now ,..but I've got my fingers crossed anyways.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:22 PM   #875

U may only need one that's all I have. On the other side I have a koralia
Old 05-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #876
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason M
U may only need one that's all I have. On the other side I have a koralia
I guess we'll find out soon enough..... Thanks
Old 05-08-2012, 11:07 AM   #877
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just found out that my ecotech 40 will arrive via ups sometime today,....I'm kinda getting a little excited thinking about the different modes and speed adjustments that are possible,...I have a little area in front of my tank that seems to be my problem zone,..I hope to address that with ( hopefully) their undertow effect or via one of their programmable modes,....I'm not too sure how the whole scheme of things will work using koralia's on the other side of the tank but we'll see,.... One thing that they do offer that I may be interested in is a battery backup hookup that'll keep the pump running for hours depending on how it's setup.,.... I keep getting flashbacks from a year or two ago when a car took out a telephone Pole directly in front f the house and power was going to off for 10-12 hours,.... A mad rush to home depot to buy a generator took care of that issue at that time BUT if one was at work or out for the day when this occurred than I think this battery back up would be a lifesaver ( literally ) until you could hook up the generator or until power resumes.
I'll try out the system as stated but if necessary ill get another 40 down the line when money permits. I've got my fingers crossed!!
Old 05-08-2012, 11:44 AM   #878
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Exciting and good luck with it

I remember that crash hard to believe it was a year ago
Old 05-08-2012, 11:58 AM   #879
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan-peddle
Exciting and good luck with it

I remember that crash hard to believe it was a year ago
Hey Ryan,...yeah,... A year goes by pretty quick sometimes,... I remember trying to pour water back and forth into the tank for aeration for about a half an hour or so before I decided that a generator was needed,..... Tank wise ,..I've gone from the old 75 gal tank with a hob skimmer, aquaclear filter , hob back refugium etc to this beast I got now,... So much more stable ,..so much more money spent !!! Lol
Old 05-08-2012, 12:34 PM   #880
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dary421

Hey Ryan,...yeah,... A year goes by pretty quick sometimes,... I remember trying to pour water back and forth into the tank for aeration for about a half an hour or so before I decided that a generator was needed,..... Tank wise ,..I've gone from the old 75 gal tank with a hob skimmer, aquaclear filter , hob back refugium etc to this beast I got now,... So much more stable ,..so much more money spent !!! Lol
Yeah I remember lol and I know all about money spent mines a 110 gallon lol

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com