Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have 2 questions on hand.
1. Why are coral dips important and what is it?
2. Is it bad to have your tank swing a couples of degrees? I have mh that make the temp go from 76 to 79.5 on average.

Will ask Dary to answer the temp swing question, its his thread. But stability is a good thing.

I use a dip if I suspect a problem with parasites, many use it as a precaution before adding any corals. Not sure it does much to infections. You just don't know where these corals have been! Revive is pretty cool and doesn't harm corals, but it smells just like a popular cleanser. If I didn't know for a fact it was okay I wouldn't have even stored the bottle near the tank as it smells like something that would kill everything. And it does with the exception of corals. Why you use it as a dip.

4 cap full in a gallon of tank water placed in a bucket, you swish the coral around for 5-10 minutes to kill and wash away parasites. You then do a visual inspection looking for egg clusters or anything that shouldn't be there. A fine brush gets those and rinse in some clean tank water.

Last edited:
+1 for Revive. I dip all my corals before adding them. First in Reef Dip by Seachem, followed by a dip in Revive.

Will ask Dary to answer the temp swing question, its his thread. But stability is a good thing.

I use a dip if I suspect a problem with parasites, many use it as a precaution before adding any corals. Not sure it does much to infections. You just don't know where these corals have been! Revive is pretty cool and doesn't harm corals, but it smells just like a popular cleanser. If I didn't know for a fact it was okay I wouldn't have even stored the bottle near the tank as it smells like something that would kill everything. And it does with the exception of corals. Why you use it as a dip.

4 cap full in a gallon of tank water placed in a bucket, you swish the coral around for 5-10 minutes to kill and wash away parasites. You then do a visual inspection looking for egg clusters or anything that shouldn't be there. A fine brush gets those and rinse in some clean tank water.

Ok,..I'll try and answer the " temp swing question" via my " reader's digest" version,.... In a nut shell as Greg stated its all about stability ,...temp fluctuations can be very stressful to aquarium life when there's a large drop or rise in a short amount of time,...usually fluctuations more than a couple of degrees in a 24 hour period is considered excessive,..fish are rather sensitive to changes and especially rapid changes ,..their metabolism rates rise and fall with the temp fluctuations and they may become overly stressed trying to cope with the changes,..diseases , changes in feeding habits etc can occur in an overly excessive habitat .
Corals ,starfish etc are probably even much more sensitive to the fluctuations than the fish and are prone to beaching and general die offs if large swings in temp are occurring repeatedly over time.
In the ocean itself the water column is trillions and trillions of gallons so changes occur very slowly and due to the overall size ,it a slow moving process and generally speaking does not affect its inhabitants like our tiny little microcosms do..our whole little ocean occurs in our living rooms and as we all know bad things happen fast.
The water itself contains oxygen which also may change in value when large swings occur,..generally speaking cooler water contains a larger amount of oxygen than the warmer water does so your critters as well as micro organisms may suffer trying to keep up with the swings, other water chemistry can and will change too but for all practical purposes it's generally considered a very wise rule to keep your temp swings to a minimum to avoid undo stresses on your critters.,a degree here or there prob wouldn't matter too much but it's the large swings ya gotta watch out for.
In my case my poor little 300 watt heater was not keeping up with keeping my tank's temp stability so I pretty much was forced to get a new 500 watt system which so far has now kept my tank rock solid at 78 degrees.
It's prob better to try and maintain a little lower temp at a stable level than consistently going up and down in temperature. ,reef wise usually temps in the 76- 82 degree range is considered " normal" operating ranges.
hopefully this will help a little and I'm sure other may chime in with other ideas etc but this is just my quick little " readers digest" essay .

Last edited:
Ok,..I'll try and answer the " temp swing question" via my " reader's digest" version,.... In a nut shell as Greg stated its all about stability ,...temp fluctuations can be very stressful to aquarium life when there's a large drop or rise in a short amount of time,...usually fluctuations more than a couple of degrees in a 24 hour period is considered excessive,..fish are rather sensitive to changes and especially rapid changes ,..their metabolism rates rise and fall with the temp fluctuations and they may become overly stressed trying to cope with the changes,..diseases , changes in feeding habits etc can occur in an overly excessive habitat .
Corals ,starfish etc are probably even much more sensitive to the fluctuations than the fish and are prone to beaching and general die offs if large swings in temp are occurring repeatedly over time.
In the ocean itself the water column is trillions and trillions of gallons so changes occur very slowly and due to the overall size ,it a slow moving process and generally speaking does not affect its inhabitants like our tiny little microcosms do..our whole little ocean occurs in our living rooms and as we all know bad things happen fast.
The water itself contains oxygen which also may change in value when large swings occur,..generally speaking cooler water contains a larger amount of oxygen than the warmer water does so your critters as well as micro organisms may suffer trying to keep up with the swings, other water chemistry can and will change too but for all practical purposes it's generally considered a very wise rule to keep your temp swings to a minimum to avoid undo stresses on your critters.,a degree here or there prob wouldn't matter too much but it's the large swings ya gotta watch out for.
In my case my poor little 300 watt heater was not keeping up with keeping my tank's temp stability so I pretty much was forced to get a new 500 watt system which so far has now kept my tank rock solid at 78 degrees.
It's prob better to try and maintain a little lower temp at a stable level than consistently going up and down in temperature. ,reef wise usually temps in the 76- 82 degree range is considered " normal" operating ranges.
hopefully this will help a little and I'm sure other may chime in with other ideas etc but this is just my quick little " readers digest" essay .

Okay! Well that's good advice, do you think I am fine with my temp swing or should I do something about it? If I should so something about it, what should I do

Turn the heater up so the temp stays around 80-81....worst case scenario it rises to 82 and this swing is acceptable. Meanwhile, get a fan blowing across the surface of your sump or display to keep it from rising. Hey Dary. Sup homey?

Turn the heater up so the temp stays around 80-81....worst case scenario it rises to 82 and this swing is acceptable. Meanwhile, get a fan blowing across the surface of your sump or display to keep it from rising. Hey Dary. Sup homey?
doug,...."sup homey? " ....????

Gregcoyote said:
I have tried my best to provide my insight. It makes me mad that many on this forum have 2-3 pieces of coral and are all experts. I am growing 50 different species and have been doing so longer than these newbies have been alive. Arguing the same old topics over and over again. Tangs in a nano was the last straw. Will check in on you now and then, but as for advice, no more from me. These idiots are on their own. Keep up the GOOD work Dary.

hey Greg I read that thread and I have to say I thought you were pretty level headed and fair and i thoght the op was receptive to your input as far as only using the nano as a short term grow out tank, the others in that discussion were unfortunately opinionated but that shouldn't matter as long as the op gets the message,I don't post to often just usually read and try to soak up a little of the knowledge here, so just letting you know that your knowledge,experience and personal opinions that come from that are highly appreciated by alot of people here and reminding you that there's probably more people busy taking notes than there are typing contradictions

hey Greg I read that thread and I have to say I thought you were pretty level headed and fair and i thoght the op was receptive to your input as far as only using the nano as a short term grow out tank, the others in that discussion were unfortunately opinionated but that shouldn't matter as long as the op gets the message,I don't post to often just usually read and try to soak up a little of the knowledge here, so just letting you know that your knowledge,experience and personal opinions that come from that are highly appreciated by alot of people here and reminding you that there's probably more people busy taking notes than there are typing contradictions

Thank you very much. I try.

Hey... knock a self a pro, Slick! That gray matter backlot perform us DOWN, I take TCB-in', man!

Lol,..where's Barbara Billinsley when you need her to translate " jive" .... Rip mrs.cleaver ,.... Glad you decided to hang around Greg

Everything running as normal ( at least for me ) ,..after a week or two of running my new 500 watt blueline heater and digital controller I am truly amazed and happy with the stability of my tank's temperature ,... Once I got it all setup and running she's running perfectly with basically no temp variations at all,. As I had stated before my tank was starting to shift about 3-5 degrees during the course of the day,...freezing temp at nite and mild temps during the day was causing my old 300 watt heater to run overtime trying to keep up. ( understandable ! )
On a different note, I decided to experiment a little and do a little salt switch out to see how and if my tank would see any changes,...I'm currently running redsea Coral pro salt but decided to try out some reef crystals instead. , I ordered a bucket of it online because even with s/ h it was cheaper than my lfs price. Maybe I'll try out some Other brands after that just to see how things work out.
I'll be more than a little curious as to how many times you guys have switched your salt mixes until to found the one you've settled in on....I suppose there's pluses and minuses on each brand and it may a Lille nit picking but I'll kind of like to hear back on what you've selected as your brand.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom