Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's already kicking out dark green skim mate. The dual needle pumps really foam it up. Looks like it will work fine. Was easy to set up.

Pumps usually don't care how they are oriented. Remember, 90 degree hose turns add back pressure. Keep those to a minimum.

Yup that's my pup. 6 1/2 yr old Bernese Mountain Dog that are a towel and had to have abdominal surgery. Crazy pooch eats everything lol.

@Greg - would love to see a pic or video of your new skimmer in action!

Purple lights come from the algae scrubber, those LEDs are tuned to plant growth.

New skimmer is settling in. Now use a P25 needle pump as the supply pump to the Red Sea skimmer, it adds a lot to its efficiency.

The sump off the frag tank with the moving light is home for mushrooms and some zoas.

Attachments

• image-2074788345.jpg
    image-2074788345.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 91
  • image-1492296923.jpg
    image-1492296923.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 96
  • image-3869278481.jpg
    image-3869278481.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 101
  • image-1143672739.jpg
    image-1143672739.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 112
  • image-2842709108.jpg
    image-2842709108.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 104
  • image-1183247887.jpg
    image-1183247887.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 114
  • image-3046732017.jpg
    image-3046732017.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 96
  • image-1407341140.jpg
    image-1407341140.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Purple lights come from the algae scrubber, those LEDs are tuned to plant growth.

New skimmer is settling in. Now use a P25 needle pump as the supply pump to the Red Sea skimmer, it adds a lot to its efficiency.

The sump off the frag tank with the moving light is home for mushrooms and some zoas.

Looks like its skimming pretty good already. Nice setup.

It's doing a fine job. Less than 24 hours there is 1/2" of dark green skimmate in the cup. And that's while the Red Sea skimmer is working as well.

It's doing a fine job. Less than 24 hours there is 1/2" of dark green skimmate in the cup. And that's while the Red Sea skimmer is working as well.

You may have a winner there Greg ,...I've been on the computer more than I care to admit here lately concerning my own personal (in the future ) skimmer reading many many reviews and checking out every bit of info i can find,...I've Been going back and forth over a couple of different ones ( same manufactuer ) everyone ive talked to says to go with the upgraded one and get it done once and for all ,otherwise you'll prob regret it down the line...

It's a big decision and expensive one at that but I've pretty made up my mind and now I'must wait until my tax return to get this transaction completed. I'm sure some might not agree on my choice on the type or the skimmer itself BUT it's what I'm going with right or wrong.

There is a lot of gratification when seeing that gunk getting removed directly from the water. When you smell it, it is easy to see that the skimmer is a huge part of the filtration system. I will modify my earlier comments, I think you can't go wrong buying the biggest and best skimmer you can afford and have space for. In the +20 years this reef has been running, this is just my third skimmer. Not too bad.

Last edited:
There is a lot of gratification when seeing that gunk getting removed directly from the water. When you smell it, it is easy to see that the skimmer is a huge part of the filtration system. I will modify my earlier comments, I think you can't go wrong buying the biggest and best skimmer you can afford and have space for. In the +20 years this reef has been running, this is just my third skimmer. Not too bad.

Right or wrong ,...I'm about 95% decided on going for this skimmer,. My reef creation mrc mr2r ,..I know it'll do a heck of a job on my system utilizing a larger pump(s) but maybe a lesser priced skimmer using needles and pins may do as well or better BUT hey it's my money and I really wanna try one out,...it's rated for up to 450 gals so it should be ready for about any upgrades I may throw at it.... Got my fingers crossed!!!

Right or wrong ,...I'm about 95% decided on going for this skimmer,. My reef creation mrc mr2r ,..I know it'll do a heck of a job on my system utilizing a larger pump(s) but maybe a lesser priced skimmer using needles and pins may do as well or better BUT hey it's my money and I really wanna try one out,...it's rated for up to 450 gals so it should be ready for about any upgrades I may throw at it.... Got my fingers crossed!!!

Those Reeflo skimmers look nice to me. It is a recirculator with one of the better needle wheel pumps, at least that is what the MRC series looks like to me.

What made you decide on the mr2 btw? I keep going back and forth myself. I want to get the orca 1 but cannot find more than one review on it.

What made you decide on the mr2 btw? I keep going back and forth myself. I want to get the orca 1 but cannot find more than one review on it.

I just want to try the injection type skimmer ,tons of reviews 99% very very positive..... I Just wanna try something a little south of the pack....i personally like the looks of yours.... Sometimes ya just gotta do what YOU wanna do.. Logical or not !!!

I just want to try the injection type skimmer ,tons of reviews 99% very very positive..... I Just wanna try something a little south of the pack....i personally like the looks of yours.... Sometimes ya just gotta do what YOU wanna do.. Logical or not !!!

Yeah I want to get a becket injection one myself, I just can't decide if the orca pro 1 is the one to get or the mr2 like you are looking at. Really want this to be the last skimmer I get for the next couple years or so and for the price it's hard to decide without having seen it run in person.

Yeah I want to get a becket injection one myself, I just can't decide if the orca pro 1 is the one to get or the mr2 like you are looking at. Really want this to be the last skimmer I get for the next couple years or so and for the price it's hard to decide without having seen it run in person.

The smart $$would prob go with your skimmer.,

Last edited:
Greg,..what pump did you use as your feed pump on your new skimmer and roughly how many gph ?....... I talked to a rep this am about my skimmer re pumps ,plumbing etc and ordered a blueline external pump for it ,... I already have a brand new danner mag 7 which I will use as a feed pump...... I guess I must be getting this critter after all :)

Holy jesus. I don't go online for a week and I have a novel to read to follow up on u guys. Lol. Consumer reports should hire you guys to rate skimmers for them. A few pages ago someone mentioned getting a octopus skimmer, just a heads up the Hydor skimmer line does twice the job. My lfs has them sittin side by side running is his store ( recirculating skimmers) that are both rated for the same total volume and the Hydor literally blows it out of the water

Holy jesus. I don't go online for a week and I have a novel to read to follow up on u guys. Lol. Consumer reports should hire you guys to rate skimmers for them. A few pages ago someone mentioned getting a octopus skimmer, just a heads up the Hydor skimmer line does twice the job. My lfs has them sittin side by side running is his store ( recirculating skimmers) that are both rated for the same total volume and the Hydor literally blows it out of the water

Lol... Yeah we prob get a little wrapped up on choosing our new toys.... Im actually taking a little break from mounting a shelf under my cabinet that'll house my new skimmer when i finally order it. .,i'll be making a couple of little doors that will cover up the top half of the skimmer/ collection cup etc so you won't be able to see it from the couch.
I really think everyone here ., greg, Keith and myself have each chosen a nice unit that they'll be proud of for quite sometime...Doug's monster jns skimmer is another beautiful unit but my tank or Keith's would never be able to handle such a behemoth skimmer.
I guess you do your research., pay your money and kick back and see what happens.., here again ., im sure there's a million skimmers out there and they will all work just fine..,just pick the one that looks right for YOU and don't look back.

Attachments

• image-3782616809.jpg
    image-3782616809.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Good to hear the review on the hydor skimmer. It has worked perfectly since setup this weekend. Italian engineering isn't too bad.

Last edited:
Gregcoyote said:
Good to hear the review on the hydor skimmer. It has worked perfectly since setup this weekend. Italian engineering isn't too bad.

I've seen good things with those Hydor skimmers, I think that is my next choice. Which is funny cause right now I am also using a red sea skimmer 1800

Back
Top Bottom