Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What kind of water and air do those pumps draw? I can't seem to find any info on that. I would like to get the 3005 if it's truly a step above.

The 3005 uses 3 of the needle wheel impeller modified L45 pumps to produce foam. They are each rated, when not making foam at 925gph. Just two of these in my 2005 creates foam like I have never seen. 3 ought to be quite a show. I think the flow thru the unit can be pretty high as it uses a standpipe overflow. I have 500gph feeding my 2005 and it could take a bit more. But I could not find any air flow numbers.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewi...utm_campaign=aquariumtanksupply&utm_medium=na

http://www.hydor.com/prodotti/show/famprod/57/list/11#tabelle

Mine has been stable as a rock. I clean the collection cup every few days. I have plumbed the cup to a water jug so I don't have to dump the cup all the time. But since it works so much better when squeaky clean, I end up washing it all down often. This is extremely simple to do as the whole top lifts off using a big O ring. Nothing to unfasten.

I have had to adjust it once when I installed it and that was it. I have a very stable supply flow of water and the air adjuster sets the foam level and it stays there. Stable.

One other thing. It produced dark green skimmate within the first hour of operation. Never had a skimmer start working that fast. Best Craigslist $250 I have spent.

Last edited:
It says in sump or next to sump on the descriptions I have read. In your opinion Greg could it be installed on the opposite side of the wall from my sump and work as intended?

It says in sump or next to sump on the descriptions I have read. In your opinion Greg could it be installed on the opposite side of the wall from my sump and work as intended?

Mine works fine out of the sump and that's good because with the recirculator pumps it has a big footprint. You would want to set it up on something to get it a bit higher than the sump water level so it drains properly. If you have the headroom, on top of the sump would be a good place.

I have my RedSea 1800 on the other side of the wall above the sump so it drains back to the sump and have an Eheim pump feeding it. Was hoping to do the same with my next skimmer. Pic shows what I have currently.

Attachments

• image-3919812449.jpg
    image-3919812449.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 83
Thanks. I been wrestling back & forth about skimmers. That Hydor has some good reviews and the fact that you describe it as the best one you have used now has me seriously considering it. Ugghh.

Keith ,it sounds like you might be tempted to jump off horses mid stream,..Greg's looks to be about 1/2 the cost of your orca, hmmmmm might be a good selling point,..but on the other hand that orca looks mighty inviting too,... Decisions ,decisions ,..it's all a good thing

What kind of water and air do those pumps draw? I can't seem to find any info on that. I would like to get the 3005 if it's truly a step above.

Doug,... I thought you were pretty much sold on that JNS 7 model ?

Keith ,it sounds like you might be tempted to jump off horses mid stream,..Greg's looks to be about 1/2 the cost of your orca, hmmmmm might be a good selling point,..but on the other hand that orca looks mighty inviting too,... Decisions ,decisions ,..it's all a good thing

Yeah between the price difference and a recommendation by Greg (of whom I highly respect his reefing expertise) I am considering the Hydor.

Doug,... I thought you were pretty much sold on that JNS 7 model ?
My friend won that 2 pump Hydor at MACNA a couple years ago when it was in Atlantic City. we had a booth there and I sold corals, while he roamed around and enjoyed himself....
Anyway, it looked pretty well constructed.
I am not sold on any skimmer per say. I just like the sheer size and pump capability of the JNS. I know that skimmer will kick buttocks. I'm always open to options however.

My friend won that 2 pump Hydor at MACNA a couple years ago when it was in Atlantic City. we had a booth there and I sold corals, while he roamed around and enjoyed himself....
Anyway, it looked pretty well constructed.
I am not sold on any skimmer per say. I just like the sheer size and pump capability of the JNS. I know that skimmer will kick buttocks. I'm always open to options however.

Seemingly they both appear to be about the same price + - I totally love the look of that JNS7 ,..obviously it's a beast !!! and I'm sure the way your setup is,..either one would kick butt., Sounds like that " Atlantic city " booth may have had a few heated moments !!! My skimmer comes in prob later this week ,..fingers crossed that it'll work as advertised ,...beer will help either way !!

Yeah between the price difference and a recommendation by Greg (of whom I highly respect his reefing expertise) I am considering the Hydor.

I'll agree with you 100 % ,.... Greg and Doug are super stars in this field and obviously their recommendations are always appreciated and warranted,.. But it's your $$$ and your choice ,..I think you wouldn't go wrong either way !

As expected my blue line pump arrived this morning destined to be attached to my new giant mrc mr 2r protein skimmer... Suddenly there's light at the end of the tunnel :)

Attachments

• image-598010332.jpg
    image-598010332.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 107
Nice pump. Your obviously going with a external setup. If you have the room that's the way to go IMO. In just over a week mine has produced two gallons of dark skimmate. Puts my old 5' tall Venturi skimmer to shame and it works better than my supercharged 1800. These recirculating skimmers work just fine.

Nice pump. Your obviously going with a external setup. If you have the room that's the way to go IMO. In just over a week mine has produced two gallons of dark skimmate. Puts my old 5' tall Venturi skimmer to shame and it works better than my supercharged 1800. These recirculating skimmers work just fine.

It's nice when all the pieces fall together and everything works!! ,...two gallons ,.Wow !! . Are you planning on still using the other two skimmers in your system or are you going to have a fire sale and just keep the 2005 ?
My whole skimmer build is going to be a real learning curve for me,...I've never had one of these becket injector systems before,.itll be like dropping back in time and running an old muscle car again,.. Sheer brute ,gas guzzling power vs modern economy and finesse....both will get you to the same place but sometimes ya just wanna put your foot down on that 427 .
Realistically this thing is going to be a monster and hopefully I've done my homework and measurements correctly,...getting mighty anxious to get started.

It's nice when all the pieces fall together and everything works!! ,...two gallons ,.Wow !! . Are you planning on still using the other two skimmers in your system or are you going to have a fire sale and just keep the 2005 ?
My whole skimmer build is going to be a real learning curve for me,...I've never had one of these becket injector systems before,.itll be like dropping back in time and running an old muscle car again,.. Sheer brute ,gas guzzling power vs modern economy and finesse....both will get you to the same place but sometimes ya just wanna put your foot down on that 427 .
Realistically this thing is going to be a monster and hopefully I've done my homework and measurements correctly,...getting mighty anxious to get started.

I retired the big Venturi skimmer. I still have the 1800 on the frag tank sump. Since everything is plumbed together, I have two skimmers each working on a sump. The 1800 isn't broke and using a 2500 foaming pump to feed it seems to produce more productive foam than it did before. I doubled the airflow thru the skimmer. But the 2005 is producing the most skimmate by far.

Back
Top Bottom