Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh my an unattended beer.......looks like fly bait for the kill shot!

Hey i just abandoned the beer long enough fir a picture for greg...... I actually have some table scraps staked out as bait !
A few of my friends ordered theirs today :)

Hey i just abandoned the beer long enough fir a picture for greg...... I actually have some table scraps staked out as bait !
A few of my friends ordered theirs today :)

You may have to contact that guy cuz he owes you some commission!

I had planned on getting one too but haven't pulled the trigger yet....pun intended.

Hi Dary. How have you been? What lights are you using? I need all new bulbs but wasn't sure if led would be better and cheaper.

Hi Dary. How have you been? What lights are you using? I need all new bulbs but wasn't sure if led would be better and cheaper.

Hey Buffy,..I've been killing lots of flies lately and just having a wonderful time daydreaming about snorkeling with all my fish buddies in Hawaii in another two months or so,..my tank has been doing very well for the most part,..and it's actually starting to look pretty nice and colorful too,...regarding my lights,...about 2 1/2 to three years ago I bought three very pricey stark fixtures using the Cree 3 watt LEDs ,..the fixtures seemingly do a wonderful job growing whatever I toss at them,...I'd strongly suggest switching over to the LEDs if you haven't already done so,.the amount you'd save in a year or two on just replacing your old T5/8 bulbs would pay for the fixtures themselves, both Greg and Doug are the two taotronic fixtures experts and you can read about them on either of their threads,.the best part is that they're rather inexpensive too.
Glad to see you back up and running again !! You go girl !!!

We discussed many times on this tread about the brown deposits left when mixing up " reef crystal" (and a few other mixes ) a couple of weeks ago i started to suspend a normal filter sock into my mixing barrel after adding my salt ... What has happened is that a lot of that brown residue has clung to the sock instead of the barrel itself.., as long as you have a strong powerhead or pump circulating the water sooner or later all the water is going to pass thru or around that sock and it makes for a cleaner container.
Just wash out that sock with your others from your sump as normal and you're ready to go for the next round..... It works for me so maybe its worth a shot for others too.

Hmm...filtering out the water before adding it. Interesting concept. I don't see how it could hurt anything. Maybe even run a canister filter in the mixing barrel to circulate the water, and capture anything you don't want.

Hmm...filtering out the water before adding it. Interesting concept. I don't see how it could hurt anything. Maybe even run a canister filter in the mixing barrel to circulate the water, and capture anything you don't want.

I really like the canister idea....!

Couldn't hurt a thing. But the clay deposit (I think that's where we left it) doesn't hurt anything either. Wish I knew why it doesn't happen to me. I go years without cleaning my mixing barrel (I know, I'm lazy).

The only thing is, I don't think clay would make a slimy foam at the surface. Look at these-
img_2563210_0_4b9adf7cc4deae5950da63c0aed01d7c.jpg
img_2563210_1_8b322f18cd9147f6da82d06a7549b471.jpg
img_2563210_2_54ed35fcc0c875b77406beb581f26e8d.jpg

The only thing is, I don't think clay would make a slimy foam at the surface. Look at these-

I think that's what clay dust would do with enough agitation. Pour water in a bucket with sand in it and all the light materials will create a dirty foam on top.

I use a canister filter and a powerhead on a fifteen gallon column aquarium as my mixing container and have never had any residue, maybe I should open up the canister and see if I've collected any residual materials in there, I haven't bothered to check it since I started using it this way

If I had some of this residue I could throw it under my microscope and see if its a mineral. Also have a friend with access to a gas chromatograph which would print out its composition. Probably too much work. Probably varies batch to batch. Using a simple filter sock sounds easy to me.

I may be living in my car. I demonstrated the Bug-a-salt by blasting my wife's leg from several feet back. She agreed it would kill a fly then explained to me she would kill me if I did it again.

Back
Top Bottom