Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In my vast experience, take your usual water usage and multiply by 5 if the girl friend moves in. Also adjust toilet paper usage accordingly. Minus showers and dish washing, your usage is probably surprisingly low. One other thing, girl friends are like anemones. If the conditions aren't right, they will move.

Now that's some funny stuff !!! ..... But true !!

Ok,.back to reality,.i have a question concerning the RODI filters,. Are they a universal fit regardless of make or brand? Say a 10 " filter from a bulk reef system would basically fit any system requiring 10 " filters etc wether they are bought thru bulk reef supply,home depot ,eBay etc..... Kinda like the old VHS tapes,...any VHS cartridge regardless of manufacturer would fit into any machine using that format regardless of the machines manufacturer.

Ok,.back to reality,.i have a question concerning the RODI filters,. Are they a universal fit regardless of make or brand? Say a 10 " filter from a bulk reef system would basically fit any system requiring 10 " filters etc wether they are bought thru bulk reef supply,home depot ,eBay etc..... Kinda like the old VHS tapes,...any VHS cartridge regardless of manufacturer would fit into any machine using that format regardless of the machines manufacturer.

Yes providing you get the right diameter. I assume you have a 2 1/2" cartridge, not the 4" cartridges from the "big blue" model.

They should Dary. Filters are pretty universal. When I upgraded my coralife 2 stage to a BRS 5 stage, I thought about how hard it is to get the carbon filter on my house line undone and took the plastic wrench down and it worked just as well. Filter fit my units too.

Cool,....so s long as your cartridge is the right diameter and the right length everything should be a " universal" fit,... Thanks guys.

Yep. You can buy filters on ebay cheap in bulk. I bought a box of 50 sediment filters for about 50 bucks shipped.

Yeah that's kinda what I was getting at,...I just wanted to make sure before pulling the trigger when the time came to do so.

So the new brs $419 spartan rodi unit came in last thursday ., and it's a rather impressive beast in it self.., so i installed a valve under my bathroom sink and ran the lines ( feed and return. ) thru the wall and behind my giant cabinet and also installed a inline valve right before entering the rodi unit..... So far so good.., everything is plumbed and ready for a test fire... First cylinder fills and leaks voraciously., second cylinder does the same and so forth ... I try and tighten the individual cylinders as much as humanly possible and did manage to curb the flow to three out of four., however there was just no stopping the flow thru the di filter.,,it was a gusher ., it appears that the rubber o rings where not compressing enough to stop the flow of water before the plastic cylinder housing bottomed out when it met the top main housing..... I called brs and explained that it appeared that the orings were simply not the correct size for the unit and explained the whole situation., they agreed and were going to send me a whole new complete set of o rings via express mail and that i would get them by saturday.... Will its monday and ive yet to see anything... Soooooo taking the bull by the horn i found a giant o ring at work and experimented by cutting it to size and super gluing it together ., this oring is about twice as thick as the supplied one., its been up and running fir about and hour now and theres no drips !!! She works beautifully !!! Hopefully eventually brs will make good on my orings but until then im happy that i can finally make up some new water !!!

Attachments

• image-304701081.jpg
    image-304701081.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 100
  • image-3156685234.jpg
    image-3156685234.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 139
  • image-2049340992.jpg
    image-2049340992.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 101
  • image-3616991831.jpg
    image-3616991831.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 118
  • image-1140517955.jpg
    image-1140517955.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Glad you got it together. My spartan leaked from the water pressure gauge when it first came. Guess quality control there is slipping lol. Hour your new gaskets arrive soon though.

So the DI cartridge was too long for the filter housing? Was there a insert on the bottom of the cartridge that would stop it from properly setting on the bottom of the housing? I had that problem once with a odd sized cartridge. BRS sells the ones with the yellow foam inserts in them. I put them in a pair of clear plastic housings so I could monitor the resins color change. They seemed to fit fine. The O ring was a pretty good quick fix, you may be the new master of super glue.

So the DI cartridge was too long for the filter housing? Was there a insert on the bottom of the cartridge that would stop it from properly setting on the bottom of the housing? I had that problem once with a odd sized cartridge. BRS sells the ones with the yellow foam inserts in them. I put them in a pair of clear plastic housings so I could monitor the resins color change. They seemed to fit fine. The O ring was a pretty good quick fix, you may be the new master of super glue.

No,...cartridge is fine ,...just the wrong o rings installed from brs / factory (?) ... Simply no compression on the o rings when the clear filter housing canister is screwed down as tight as you can get it!

were the other O rings a different (thicker) size?

The ones that were supplied with the unit needed to be twice as thick to be usable ,... The one that I made up were just that ,...twice as thick ,... I'll be really interested in what they actually send m as a "replacement".... Somebody was asleep when they assembled this unit

The ones that were supplied with the unit needed to be twice as thick to be usable ,... The one that I made up were just that ,...twice as thick ,... I'll be really interested in what they actually send m as a "replacement".... Somebody was asleep when they assembled this unit

Sounds like it.

Back
Top Bottom