Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Trying to bullet proof any possibilities of anything going haywire while I'm on my vacation so I relocated my reef octopus reactor from sitting outside the sump into the sump's first chamber just in case a leak develops at least it'll just leak into the sump instead of the floor,... For the last month or so they've been digging up the road to install all underground utilities thus eliminating all of our lovely telephone poles,...they said that when the conversion is ready to happen that the power may be off for a few hours, ..great ! Prob be day two of my vacation and I can just see my brother going crazy trying to rig up the generator etc. , but I do have a battery back up on my mp40 and another controlling a couple of smaller Powerheads just in case .
I may rig up another 5 gallon reservoir containing some extra ATO water above my current setup with a hose and a valve running into the everyday container so all he would have to do is open a valve to refill things back up to normal ,...food will be Iin the Freezer in little ziplock crack baggies,...my reef creation skimmer is the most bullet proof skimmer I've ever run across and it's equipped with a auto shut off overflow container so that'll eliminate one normal concern.
Other than that ,..watch out kona brewing company cuz here we come !! :)

Last edited:
Wish I lived closer, I'd watch it for you. It's nice that my son and several of my friends are local reefers. With them and my networked surveillance and monitoring, I feel fairly safe. But a big power outage scares me as they would have to setup the generator.

Wish I lived closer, I'd watch it for you. It's nice that my son and several of my friends are local reefers. With them and my networked surveillance and monitoring, I feel fairly safe. But a big power outage scares me as they would have to setup the generator.

My old tank with hob overflow, hob skimmer,hob filter etc really truly scared the heck out of me every time I went anywhere.., shopping,movies ,dinner let alone vacations.... BUT this tank seems to be ( knock on wood ) pretty bullet proof and runs 24/7 without any issues ( so far ),.its just that you can't run home to fix something IF something suddenly happens,.....I'm 99% sure nothing mechanically will go wrong with anything ,..it's just our nature to worry about things when we're not there to watch over it..., my brother joe is very conscientious about things and I'm sure will do an outstanding job as always ,.I'm just a worry wort at heart. :-/

Nothing like automation! Sounds like you will have a well oiled machine by the time the cold ones meet the warm sand.

Nothing like automation! Sounds like you will have a well oiled machine by the time the cold ones meet the warm sand.

Lol , when "the cold ones meet the warm sand " I'll prob forget I even have a tank let alone what happens to it .:)

I'm thinking that I'm going to cross my fingers and try another yellow tang when I get back from Hawaii,. I had one past that took pretty good care of any green algae that I had growing on the rocks etc then one faithful day he was sucked up against a powerhead that reversed itself after a power outage and never recovered .
Hopefully mr triggerfish will tolerate a guest in his tank without trying to kill it,.... Maybe a little blenny or ? Introduced at the same time might keep him confused enough to let things kinda settle in ? Any thoughts about introducing a new roommate would be greatly appreciated.

I just lost my yellow today too Dary, such a beautiful fish. I am now debating another yellow OR a totally different tang. lol

Good luck though if you take the plunge. :)

I just lost my yellow today too Dary, such a beautiful fish. I am now debating another yellow OR a totally different tang. lol

Good luck though if you take the plunge. :)

Whoa ,...sorry about that Carey !!! I don't know about how anyone else feels but whenever I lose something , fish,coral,snail etc I feel like I just failed and suck at what I'm doing ,. It's like dr korvorkian watching over your family. the problem I see with introducing any other fish in my tank is that my trigger is just so **** mean.,.. Hopefully someone way brighter than me will come up with an idea that'll work.

I know that feeling. I added a banana wrasse to the 90g fowlr last week and that tank is full of way way nasty fish. Luckily they all got it sorted out after a day. lol The tang in there is prob the nastiest fish I own so it's always a guessing game adding anything to that tank.

I use to struggle keeping tangs alive. Over the years I killed several. But in all honesty, not trying to do anything but say what I experienced, there were only three things I needed to do to finally have disease resistant fat tangs. Feed them something daily, provide adequate horizontal swimming room and design the rock work to supply hiding and sleeping areas. When I did that almost all my tang worries went away.

But that's also choosing tank mates wisely, for instance throwing Bozo the clown tang into the big reef would be disastrous.

As to the trigger, I doubt they would notice each other unless you have the Norman Bates of psyco triggers.

Last edited:
I use to struggle keeping tangs alive. Over the years I killed several. But in all honesty, not trying to do anything but say what I experienced, there were only three things I needed to do to finally have disease resistant fat tangs. Feed them something daily, provide adequate horizontal swimming room and design the rock work to supply hiding and sleeping areas. When I did that almost all my tang worries went away.

But that's also choosing tank mates wisely, for instance throwing Bozo the clown tang into the big reef would be disastrous.

As to the trigger, I doubt they would notice each other unless you have the Norman Bates of psyco triggers.

Yep that's him ol' Norman ,...

Do you use a security cam when you go away? I am going to Hawaii too so I bought this camera to have 24/7 view of my reef on my iPhone and iPad. Didn't cost much but gives a solid peace of mind. If something is off then you can call someone to check on it. Chances are you have one already but thought I would share this info anyway.
nqT358h.jpg

Greg also suggested that i get one of these also.., its just a matter of time now until i pull the switch and join the 21 st century ... :). Thank you !

Yeah..but what can you do if you see something horrible? I would rather not know.

I dunno ,sometimes maybe a quick glance might help relieve the mind a little,,.... On my old tank loaded with all the hob equipment i remember that something overflowed and caused the sump to drain to a point that it was pushing air and water back into the tank,.luckily my bro caught it in time and sent me a picture ,.. I remember saying something to the effect of "what the heck" and kinda walked him thru getting it back running until I got home again ,... This tank is nothing like how that tank was setup BUT maybe a quick glance could have nipped it in the bud before it got too bad???? Peace of mind I guess ?

21st century joined,....wifi cam up and running!!! My nephew ( who works in the computer trade ) came over and we installed a wifi router ,a wifi extender and my wifi camera,..... A few snags along the way but after some great tech support all the way from Bangkok we ( he) got it all up and running..... Whew!!! Wish I had a cold one right about now!!!!

Very cool! You will amazed at the peace of mind that will bring. Now you need a controller that's Internet enabled. Then you can see temp, ph and other stuff on your phone. My wife says I'm dangerous because I am a gadget junkie.

Back
Top Bottom