Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just in case anybody was wondering , dropping a Hanna alk tester 4 feet onto my tiled kitchen floor will cause the unit to no longer function,....do not ask how I know this :- /

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Pretty certain I don't need to ask. ?

Just in case anybody was wondering , dropping a Hanna alk tester 4 feet onto my tiled kitchen floor will cause the unit to no longer function,....do not ask how I know this :- /

Funny, I did the same thing to my iPhone. Same results too.

Thanks to greg and a suggestion about using some black egg crate at the rear of your tank for a coral frag condo ,..I ordered a piece from BRS and I'll be trying to retro fit a piece onto the rear/ sides of my tanks glass ,.. It'll have to be a cut and shaped due to the many rock out cropping and other corals already growing in the area but I do like the idea of adding some small frags here and there over time. ( there goes the will power :-/ )
The replacement Hanna alk tester should here around Wednesday and we'll try to pick up the trail from there. , I did buy a nice rubber Mat for the kitchen area where I always do the testing , I do not know if it's a dropped Hanna tester saver yet but I'm sure it'll help ,..with my luck tho it'll bounce off the mat , knock over my beer and break my TV set in the other room :-/

Thanks to greg and a suggestion about using some black egg crate at the rear of your tank for a coral frag condo ,..I ordered a piece from BRS and I'll be trying to retro fit a piece onto the rear/ sides of my tanks glass ,.. It'll have to be a cut and shaped due to the many rock out cropping and other corals already growing in the area but I do like the idea of adding some small frags here and there over time. ( there goes the will power :-/ )
The replacement Hanna alk tester should here around Wednesday and we'll try to pick up the trail from there. , I did buy a nice rubber Mat for the kitchen area where I always do the testing , I do not know if it's a dropped Hanna tester saver yet but I'm sure it'll help ,..with my luck tho it'll bounce off the mat , knock over my beer and break my TV set in the other room :-/

Seriously, you can't have my luck. ?

Enjoy building your coral wall.

I guess a advantage of being a tiny person is that everything you dropped didn't explode when hitting the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Enjoy building your coral wall.

I guess a advantage of being a tiny person is that everything you dropped didn't explode when hitting the ground.

Are you trying to say that you're actually a hobbit ?

In anticipation of my new greg inspired egg crate condo arrival,..I just ordered a couple of frags including a small Martian coral frag ( you'd think I'd learn huh? ) and a few lyretails (?) to add some fishes too.
I cleaned out my little water testing cabinet in my kitchen and threw out a bunch of expired or never used test kits and half empty bottles of some of the same. I guess I'll stick with the Hanna kits, not that I'm in love with them either but seemingly it's prob the easiest for me to use regardless of the fact that they fail the kitchen bounce test miserably .
My girl friend just gave me the ok to book this year's Hawaiian trip so I'm kind of on cloud nine right now ,.. Wether it's maui or the big island is yet to be determined but either way there's some great snorkeling on either one,..I like Maui but love the big island , although we went to the big island twice last year ,..the big island ( kona ) will be more expensive ,...decisions ,decisions :-/

Such tough decisions...
I'm trying to decide if I'm cleaning out my garage or my fish room.

Lol,... Hawaii is my carrot on the end of the stick,..just something I need to look forward to get me thru the daily grinds of life,.. Without that carrot ol'Dary gets the feeling of being confined and bottled in , and Dary don't like that ,.. It's my little oasis .
I put a down payment on the very same condo that we had last September in kona ,. With fingers crossed we'll be able to complete this adventure and explore a couple of new snorkeling spots that I've read about nearby. It's Always a neat thing to check out the local tang and trigger populations while you're there . All this Hawaii talk has got me thirsty I think it may be time to go get some adult carrot juice out of the refrig and relax a little :)

A couple of weeks ago I got a email from brs ( as I'm sure 99% of you did too ) about the Tunze coraline algae scraper ,...I've got a couple of areas that I just can't reach using my regular long handled scraper without knocking something out of the way so I thought I'd give it a try,... Using the small end scraper attachment included with unit for acrylic tanks I was finally able to scrape off a bunch of coraline algae from near rocks and right near the sand bed etc which was rather difficult to reach otherwise ,...a nice little addition to my cleaning crew. I thought I'd just pass that along in case anyone was on the cusp about buying one to try ,...imo it works pretty good.

Last edited:
A couple of weeks ago I got a email from brs ( as I'm sure 99% of you did too ) about the Tunze coraline algae scraper ,...I've got a couple of areas that I just can't reach using my regular long handled scraper without knocking something out of the way so I thought I'd give it a try,... Using the small end scraper attachment included with unit for acrylic tanks I was finally able to scrape off a bunch of coraline algae from near rocks and right near the sand bed etc which was rather difficult to reach otherwise ,...a nice little addition to my cleaning crew. I thought I'd just pass that along in case anyone was on the cusp about buying one to try ,...imo it works pretty good.

Thanks for that info Dary. I have some coraline algae I can't get to thats close to some rocks. I will give it a try.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They're a little pricey ,.. Just make sure you get the appropriate size for your tanks glass thickness so the magnet will keep both halves together while you take care of business ,..worked good for me ,..good luck

Back
Top Bottom