Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lol the sooner you start the sooner we can start the party ... Greg and Doug have prob already bought their party hats :)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Lol the sooner you start the sooner we can start the party ... Greg and Doug have prob already bought their party hats :)

I never take mine off....

Just keep them party hats handy. You never know, I might hit the lottery and then finally be able to buy my dream tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My new hammer frags continue to do very well but the bubble coral doesn't seem to be adjusting to aquarium life very well ., as stated earlier it had some issues with being beat up from traveling or harvesting from the wild or ? .,I decided to move it to the other side of the tank this morning in a nice little sheltered area in hopes that it'll improve over time .... I like the bubbles but they just don't like me very much

Hank .., I think where it is now may be the key ... Low flow and nobody close by to pester it ... Fingers crossed ... Thanks

Be sure it doesn't pester anyone. They have very long sweepers.

Nah ,..its way off by itself ( looks better already !! ) :) ,... Greg ., ever tried zapping unwanted mushrooms etc with the laser to see what it would do ?

Woot! I sure hope so. That guy in the vid you sent me said that they eat batteries.If it doesn't work, I'm gonna take it apart and turn it up to max power....and burn some stuff ;)

Woot! I sure hope so. That guy in the vid you sent me said that they eat batteries.If it doesn't work, I'm gonna take it apart and turn it up to max power....and burn some stuff ;)

Lol,... The rechargeable batteries for those things are really cheap,.. I ordered 8 of them and a charger for under $20 ( eBay) Already got them and they seem to work just fine in a couple of flashlights of mine that take the same size batteries. This'll be an interesting tool or toy for sure .

I don't want to harp on this guys, but these things are very dangerous. Even to the fish a direct hit or reflection would blind them in an instant. Just be careful and wear the goggles. Treat it like a welder. I would hate for anyone to get hurt.

In the other side, I had a 5000 watt UV laser in my lab when I was in school that would blow a 1" hole in a 2" thick slab of steel in under 5 seconds. The power supply (long time ago) was the size of a washing machine.

If you don't have enough power, I hesitantly show you a 50mw one that will set the house on fire.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=301638674380

Another one at 650nm and 250mw. This one really delivers a punch. Danger factor; over the moon. Glasses absolutely necessary and a shield for the fish.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=231522542228

Last edited:
I don't want to harp on this guys, but these things are very dangerous. Even to the fish a direct hit or reflection would blind them in an instant. Just be careful and wear the goggles. Treat it like a welder. I would hate for anyone to get hurt.

In the other side, I had a UV laser in my lab when I was in school that would blow a 1" hole in a 2" thick slab of steel in under 5 seconds. The power supply (long time ago) was the size of a washing machine.

If you don't have enough power, I hesitantly show you a 50mw one that will set the house on fire.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=301638674380

I'm raising my right hand promising to wear my goggles and treat them with the upmost respect ,..promise !
I ordered the goggles you suggested ( arrived a few days ago ) and the other unit I ordered comes with the goggles .
Just what did you do with these high powered lasers that would blow holes in steel etc ?

At the time I was involved in a lab that was looking at industrial and military use of pulsing lasers. The UV laser was really more of a demonstration we used to keep funding going. Pretty spectacular weapon system, but with really serious vulnerabilities. Those lasers now are used to cut everything from titanium to textiles.

Aquarium noises are kind of funny ...., they all seem to have a sound all their own , and when everything is running beautifully it'll lull you to sleep but one little change in gurgles or pitch and it'll wake you up from a dead sleep at 2 am running to the tank to investigate .
Luckily , I haven't had to get up in the middle of the night in quite awhile ,.. But there was many a night back in the day when things weren't quite so stabilized tank wise and I'd wake up in that panic mode ,.....My tank is amazingly quiet now considering all the pumps and things I've got going ,.. I know things are going good when I can hear the mp40 in its pulsation mode and about every fifteen seconds the return line from my skimmer gurgles for a second ( I believe it's trapped air escaping ) it's the small things that keep things interesting .

Aquarium noises are kind of funny ...., they all seem to have a sound all their own , and when everything is running beautifully it'll lull you to sleep but one little change in gurgles or pitch and it'll wake you up from a dead sleep at 2 am running to the tank to investigate .
Luckily , I haven't had to get up in the middle of the night in quite awhile ,.. But there was many a night back in the day when things weren't quite so stabilized tank wise and I'd wake up in that panic mode ,.....My tank is amazingly quiet now considering all the pumps and things I've got going ,.. I know things are going good when I can hear the mp40 in its pulsation mode and about every fifteen seconds the return line from my skimmer gurgles for a second ( I believe it's trapped air escaping ) it's the small things that keep things interesting .

Funny you should mention that.
I was awakened at around 3 AM today to the sound of splashing water. :eek:
Haven't got outta bed that fast in years...LOL
The overflow on my above-tank fuge somehow got blocked so that over the course of hours it slowed enough that it overflowed.
now I'm picking my brain thinking of ways to prevent that from ever happening again......:ermm:
oh well, tweaking and tuning....

Funny you should mention that.
I was awakened at around 3 AM today to the sound of splashing water. :eek:
Haven't got outta bed that fast in years...LOL
The overflow on my above-tank fuge somehow got blocked so that over the course of hours it slowed enough that it overflowed.
now I'm picking my brain thinking of ways to prevent that from ever happening again......:ermm:
oh well, tweaking and tuning....

Lol...on my old tank the "Hang ons" were one of the things that used to keep me up at night EVEN when they were working correctly ., once I got the new " drilled" tank with a nicely working sump etc 99 % of the tank related overflow headaches went away ,not saying they're fool proof but they sure cut down the odds a lot.
" tweaking and tuning" will only make you stronger and wiser in the long run :)

How about when your ATO float sticks and drains all of your ATO tank into the sump (thankfully mine is a 5 gallon pail). Those little ATO pumps sound downright angry when they run dry.

I sometimes put my engineer hat on and sit in my fish room imagining what could go wrong and how I might prevent it. It isn't hard to do and using your imagination might prevent a disaster.

I sometimes put my engineer hat on and sit in my fish room imagining what could go wrong and how I might prevent it. It isn't hard to do and using your imagination might prevent a disaster.

I've done exactly the same thing but I didn't have an engineer hat so I had a couple of beers instead ,..Still a very effective technique ... All kidding aside , that's exactly what I do , think about the worse case scenario and then try to fix it BEFORE it ever happens

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom