Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yup ,...that'll be me .... Point and shoot. :-/ With fingers crossed ! :)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Doug , so after years of knowing you I believe this is the first actual vacation I've heard of you going on,...Any details , what's planned etc ,... ( I'm sure there's a woman involved lol ) ,.. Would love to see some underwater pics of corals and fish that you take

Yep..first real vacation since I went to Riviera Maya about 7-8 years ago. Nothing planned as of yet Dary, but I hope to get a dive in at some point. A lot of relaxing in the sun is the big thing for me, since my work is busiest in the warm months and I don't even get a chance to enjoy the warm weather.
Yes I'll be going with my GF Maureen, who says "hello"
img_3277216_0_edd3d92284f1f8b2692b89f25d87ed26.jpg

I'm really stoked for you two !!! ( she's a cutie for sure ! ) ,.... There's something about getting away from the world and just putting the feet up and relaxing that kind of rejuvenates the soul !!!
If memory serves me right this'll be either the 12 th or 13 th trip for Laura and I together to Hawaii ,.... Unbelievable ! Never ever thought I'd ever get there even once !
That underwater world will give you a whole new perspective on your tank ,..TOTALLY enjoy your trip !!!! Hi Maureen !!!

Packed up all the snorkeling gear the other day for my up coming Hawaii trip ,... Something like 10 more days ! Wow !..... Aquarium wise I picked up a 3x3 hammer and a torch about the same size yesterday and put them on either ends of my hairy mushroom colony in high hopes that maybe they'll be able to control the outward growth of the colony ,( fingers crossed ) , as long time followers may recall, torches ,hammers and bubbles have kind of been a nemesis for me , Greg was the one who had me raise my Alk to current levels and so far everything seems to be thriving well,..... I'm not sure how many months ago a I bought a Little bubble coral which has grown quite well and looks content sitting alone in a quite corner of the tank,...Once I return from Hawaii and if tank wise everything seems stable I'm planning on a few exotic torches and hammers to fill in a couple of little empty zones I have.
I snapped a couple of quickie pictures that might give you a general idea of things,.... The monti's have gone crazy and have created their own little sky scrapers which reach for the top of the tank., all in all things are ok ,...fingers crossedImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1441918479.670756.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1441918503.058594.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1441918520.659587.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1441918543.373021.jpg

I think your approach to controlling encroachment is right on. Using more powerful corals to corral more invasive ones has worked for me.
Enjoy your trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you coach ,... As always , thanks for all the advice and suggestions ,...and as far as Hawaii goes,.. You bet !

So ,...... A question concerning hammers,... I love em BUT as stated above, I've have had mixed success with them over the years , ( hopefully tho recently I've turned the corner ) I've seen these yellow orange and or pink hammers that I really like but I was reading a few post in another forum that they are pretty touchy and even the reefers that know what they're doing have troubles with em ,.... Hmmmm why would their colors matter as far upkeep go ? ..... Anyone here have any ? I have a small orange and blue one 1 1/2" x 1. 1/2 " that seemingly has adapted well to the tank and so far growing well. I'd love to get one of the exotic colored ones but they're pretty pricey for just an experiment .
I'm sure knowing myself as well as I do that eventually I'll end up with one anyways but any input would be appreciated.

I like my gold one. It is right beside my common hammer. It is more touchy. The common is doing great while the gold has retracted as nitrates have gone up...is my assumption.

I can't answer why the different colored ones are more sensitive, but it seems to be the case in my system. Same with frogspawn.

I have just started doing this to my tank thanks for the photos

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I have just started doing this to my tank thanks for the photos

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I'm going to try and surround my colony of hairy mushrooms the best I can with torches and hammers with high hopes it'll work as advertised ,...good luck with your quest also , after I get back from Hawaii I'll start looking to get a couple more hammers and torches., as for right now I'm trying my best to cram Everything into a suitcase , I also have to do my pwc tomorrow after work instead of Monday ( travel day ) as usual,.. I've got pre measured little containers of fish food in my freezer and will do a once over this weekend with my brother who'll keep an eye on things while I'm gone .
Fingers crossed that all will go well,...

Assorted pictures of today's snorkeling adventures ,... My favorite is of the sea turtle that came right up and looked me in the mask , I'm pretty sure it wanted to eat my nose ,... Looks like one of those pictures that someone who finds a camera up in Alaska and the last picture is of a bears nose coming in to eat the photographer lol

Looks like it was fun! I bet the sea turtle up close was pretty cool, though they can take a nice size chunk out of you if they wanted! Alot of that coral is bleached out.

Looks like it was fun! I bet the sea turtle up close was pretty cool, though they can take a nice size chunk out of you if they wanted! Alot of that coral is bleached out.

That one pinnacle that I was cruising around comes from about 40-50 feet deep to within a couple of feet of the surface, that pinnacle does in fact have a bunch of bleached out corals , don't really know why the bleaching but it held a zillion tangs ,yellow eyed koles ,triggers and other guys too.
I've been in the water with a lot of turtle before but this particular guy decided that he / she was going to come up and say hi up close and personally, I had to actually veer away so we didn't collide ,.. That was pretty neat to experience , a very nice day in the water indeed .

Nice Photos Dart. Those tangs are beautiful and they look really big to. That turtle is funny coming up that close to you. I hope I can get to go back to Hawaii some day. Have fun with the sea life.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom