DaveMc's 36g Bow Front Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveMc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well it is that time. Thanks to my awesome wife who got me this new tank, it is time to start the build thread for it. I plan on using this thread to document the progress and growth of my new tank. First is a list of what I have so far, pics will follow...

• Tank: Aqueon 36g Bow Front - 24"L x 15"W x 21"H
  • Heater: 200 watt submersible
  • Filter: HOB MarineLand - Temporary
  • Fuge: 1g HOB Fuge - Temporary
  • Lights: OceanRevive Arctic-T247 Full Spec Dimmable 120W LED Aquarium Light
  • Rock 1: 10lbs base rock from current 10g nano
  • Rock 2: 20lbs BRS Reef Saver Dry Rock - Ordered Today
  • Rock 3: 10lbs BRS Tonga Complex Branch Dry Rock - Ordered Today
  • Power Head(s): Hydor 240 x 1

Still to Purchase

• Power Head(s): Hydor Koralia Evolution 600GPH
  • Sand: 40lbs Live Sand
  • Stand: Still Deciding
  • Skimmer: Reef Octopus BH100 Hang-on-the-Back Protein Skimmer
  • Reactor: CPR Mini Tumbler Media Reactor
  • ATO: AutoAqua Smart - Auto Top Off System
  • RO/DI: BRS 5 Stage RO/DI System - 75GPD

With this build I am looking at attempting to set it up with a "theme" called the lost city. I will be working with the aquascape to "try" and give it the appearance of a underwater city in ruin and in the center I plan on using the branching rock to create a "Tree of Life" that will host different corals to show life springing out from the ruins. (*Notice I said TRY above lol *)

Once it is setup and the cycle has been completed, I will be moving my livestock in my 10g nano over. These include...

• 1 black Ocellaris Clown Fish
  • 1 Firefish
  • 1 Yellow Watchman Goby
  • 2 Yellow and Black Chromis
  • 1 Feather Duster
  • 3 Sexy Shrimp
  • 1 Turbo Snail
  • 2 Astrea Snails
  • 2 Bumble Bee Snails
  • 1 Porcelain Crab
  • 4 Red Legged Hermits
  • 1 Candy Cane coral - 2 Heads
  • Green Star Polyps
  • Button Polyp Colony
  • Zoa Frag
From here I am looking at adding many other corals to help bring the scape to life. Feel free to follow along and comment if you like :).

Hey Dave, sounds like a good plan. My only suggestion is to get a much large powerhead. 2 240s isn't much flow for a 36. I'd do one of the bigger koralias.

Thanks Frankie :) Can't wait to get started on it.

Hey Dave, sounds like a good plan. My only suggestion is to get a much large powerhead. 2 240s isn't much flow for a 36. I'd do one of the bigger koralias.

Thanks Bribo for the suggestion. Will look into it now :) Would much rather have one compared to two.

Oh id still do two. One on each side of the tank to maximize random flow. Also look into the jaebo powerheads. Supposed to be very nice and controllable.

Oh id still do two. One on each side of the tank to maximize random flow. Also look into the jaebo powerheads. Supposed to be very nice and controllable.

Ok cool....I was looking at the Hydor Koralia Evolution 600GPH. Think two of these would be good or one of these and keep the 240 in with it?

I just got two jebao wp-25 and I love them. Absolutely amazing, so much power and the controllability is great. If you can, I'd get them.

I just got two jebao wp-25 and I love them. Absolutely amazing, so much power and the controllability is great. If you can, I'd get them.

Those are nice Macscale. Amazon has it for a good price w/controller. They do put out some circulation lol.

Wow...jujst got a notification from BRS. They have already shipped my rock and should be here by Tuesday. DANG.....now I got to get a move on with a stand lol.

Everything sounds good. Just wondering, what's going in the temporary fuge?
I'll definitely be following along!

Just letting you know, that tank is a 26g BF. A 36g is 36" long I'm pretty sure.

No I disagree completely. A standard rectangular with those specs is around 32g. A bow front would push it to 36g. A 36" length (rectangular) is almost 50g and a bow would be closer to 58-60.

img_2965297_0_46f76601918b04f22439d1e510e87260.jpg

Back
Top Bottom