Day 12 New to Saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know if I have completed cycle. LFS said yes and most likely cycled in the first week - before I could test for ammonia.

Off to find get some ammonia and give it a try.

I just started using a 5 stage RO/DI and have two 5 gallon buckets on hand.

Appreciate the advise. Great webiste with a TON of information.(y)

I added Ammonia up to 4.0ppm yesterday around 10:30 PM.

At 6PM today my levels are:
8.0 ph
2.0 ppm Ammonia
0 ppm Nitrite
40 ppm Nitrate

I tested this morning around 7AM and the Ammonia was in between the 2.0 and 4.0ppm - O ppm Nitrite and 40 ppm Nitrate. Temp is 79.3.

I added a piece of shrimp around day 12. I have never noticed a spike in Ammonia or Nitrite. Should I notice a jump or increase in Nitrite using ammonia? The highest my Ammonia ever reached was 0.50 around day 26 or 14 days after the shimp was added. Will the Ammonia go to 0 in 4 1/2 hrs (24 hrs after I added Ammonia)? Then will the Nitrite spike and drop back to 0 or will my Nitrite stay at 0 if my tank previously cycled?

I think it is odd also - summary of information.

Day 38 now of fishless cycle:confused:
25 Gallon Saltwater Tank
18 lbs live rock - 10 lbs base rock
2-1/2 inch + or - live sand bed
Added Bio-Spira on day 1
Started testing water on (on day 5) using test strips
Added a small piece of shrimp on day 12
I did not notice a spike in Ammonia or Nitrite (bought a API test kit around day 15)
Ammonia only reached 0.50ppm (tested daily)
Nitrite has not moved off 0ppm
Nitrate was at 40ppm then I did a pwc (3 gallons on day 33) - ammonia and nitrite levels were 0ppm. Nitrate was at 40ppm for around 9 days. When I did the pwc my nitrate level was at 5.0ppm 24 hrs after the pwc and started climbing again.

I dosed Ammonia to 4PPM 36 hours ago to make sure cycle was complete.
Temp is 80.4
High Range PH 8.0
Ammonia 1.0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 40ppm
Strange that Ammonia is heading to 0 - Nitrite has not changed - Nitrate is going toward 40 ppm ? ?

I will take a water sample to my LFS today and have them test ? ? Any other suggestions?

LFS tested my water and had the same results.
PH = 8.2
Ammonia = 0.25 ppm
Nitrite = 0 ppm
Nitrate = 80 ppm
All should be fine - I just need to wait for Ammonia to go to 0 ppm. They said it is good that Nitrite has not moved. With only live rock in the tank (and they think my tank cycled early using Bio-Spira) little movement means I have a healthy tank. When Ammonia is at 0ppm I will wait a day and do a pcw. Hopefully I can add a couple clowns by this weekend if everything is holding.:dance:

Back
Top Bottom