Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-11-2012, 12:18 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Day 12 New to Saltwater

Just started this new venture. Excited but need to learn about all of this - many questions. Set up and used Bio-Spira almost 2 weeks ago in my 25 gallon tank. Waiting for cycle - any indication of when this will happen? 18lbs of LR and 10lbs of BR - have been holding temp at 79 and SG around 1.023.

Any advise other than just wait? Found this site today and have been reading anything that I can find for the past two weeks on lighting, reefing . . . just purchased a Maxspec P Series LED today. Got wave pump, skimmer, live rock and sand . . . what next?

Looking forward to advise . . . and want to do this right!

Old 04-11-2012, 12:30 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bio Spira is a good place to start, but you also need an ammonia source to feed it. Drop in a small piece of raw shimp, some fish food, or even pure (unscented!) ammonia. Then start testing the water every few days. First, you should see ammonia spike. Then it will drop and Nitrite will spike. Then that will drop and Nitrate will spike. When Ammonia and Nitrite both equal zero, cycle is complete.
If going the pure ammonia route, you'll need to keep adding it until the ammonia is converted completely to nitrate within a few hours (I think). I've always gone the shrimp/food route.

MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:42 AM   #3

Appreciate the advise. LFS sold me the LR & LS along with some Kent Essential Elements (once every two weeks or so - feeding for the LR)and said to wait it out - I will try the raw shrimp tomorrow and advise when it cycles.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:42 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDracor
Bio Spira is a good place to start, but you also need an ammonia source to feed it. Drop in a small piece of raw shimp, some fish food, or even pure (unscented!) ammonia. Then start testing the water every few days. First, you should see ammonia spike. Then it will drop and Nitrite will spike. Then that will drop and Nitrate will spike. When Ammonia and Nitrite both equal zero, cycle is complete.
If going the pure ammonia route, you'll need to keep adding it until the ammonia is converted completely to nitrate within a few hours (I think). I've always gone the shrimp/food route.
+1 if you dose the tank then you should be good once you can convert 4 ppm ammo completely to nitrAtes in 24 hours
Old 04-11-2012, 12:44 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy55Post
Appreciate the advise. LFS sold me the LR & LS along with some Kent Essential Elements (once every two weeks or so - feeding for the LR)and said to wait it out - I will try the raw shrimp tomorrow and advise when it cycles.
If your using a quality salt mixture then you should get all your nutrients from wc only reason to dose is for a highly stocked (coral) fast growing tank
Old 04-11-2012, 01:44 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah hate to say it but the fish store is feeding you BS to get you to buy things. Live sand is a joke if it was in a bag its nothing more then sand and if it was from a tank they have then its just dirty sand...you dont need to feed live rock thats just ridiculous.
CleverBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:34 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Live sand is pretty gimmicky. But, it won't hurt anything either. IF (big "if") the sand is really fresh (short trip from ocean or tank to the your shopping cart) then there *might* be some benthic organisms still alive and some bacteria still growing. But really, you're not getting a whole lot more than wet aragonite in most cases. Better plan is buy sand, then go to a friend's tank and take a cup of their sand, and spread it over the top of your sand bed.
As for the "feeding" of the LR... Umm... Ok, I'm sure he didn't mean to feed you a load of hooey. That just sounds like ignorance to me, rather than malice. Stop dosing until you're testing for at least Calcium, preferably also magnesium and a few of the other elements in it. General rule of thumb: Don't dose anything you aren't testing for.
MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #8

I put a small piece of raw shrimp in today around noon. Temp at 79 and 1.023 SG.

Any advise on water testing equipment to purchase? I am using (as recommended by LFS) 5 in 1 test strips for now (until tank cycles). Had around 20 of these left from my freshwater tank - now converted to a SW tank. Looking for any shortcut advise for testing equipment - versus reading all of the various opinions.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I found using live rock and a few pellets worked for me rather well , u will know ur cycle is almost complete when you have your " brown out " , once the diatoms have gone through their phase that's the last part of the cycling from what I've read and viewed online and in my own tank. At that point I added 2 blue green chrmomis and a clarkie clown everything has been fine since .

And as for feeding live rock ....I call malarkey on that one .... The bacteria living on the rock feed from the waste produced via the nitrogen cycle , even base will turn to live rock over time

Wish I heard the thing on the live sand both though , I got 1 bad for 40 bucks :-/
Old 04-11-2012, 10:26 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Diatoms can come anytime. Mine can a couple months after my cycle. Also, to the op, I would recommend raising the salinity to 1.026 (ocean salinity). GL!!!!!

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com