Day and Night Light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Masterplan75

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
what would be a good time setting for lights to be turned off? i was reading that if i dont have a timer or something similar that it could stress out coral and fish.. ???

thanks for the info in advance

L

In my 55 I run 8 hours, from 2-10PM. If you have corals you may want to look at an 8-10 hour photoperiod *some do 12 hours).

They may be talking about an asternia, sometimes they look like "half" of a starfish. If not, it could be regrowing it's lost limbs.

The time you turn your lights on and off is up to you, really. You can have them come on early AM and go off early PM, or come on early afternoon and off late at night, but you need to have a period of darkness.

I think your 2 pep shrimp will make a nice snack for the lion. Might not be a good combination.

i have 0 corals atm... but i was planning to get some xenia and zoa's soon as i get a 2nd HO light fixture...

the half of starfish i got on discount cuz it only has 1 full limb a 3/4 limb 1/2 limb and 2 stumps lol.. the guy at the fish store actually gave it to me for free...

as for the lights i've been usually turning them on when i leave for work around 7:45am and turn them off when i got to bed.. which is around 11pm or so.. is that to long of a period of light? i was starting to think yes cuz its not really a natural period of light.. yeah for some reason i've been kinda out of it lately and thinking of these things a little late.. =\

oh and regarding the peppermint shrimp vs lion.. they shrimp are bigger than the lionfish as of now lol.. his body is only about 2 inches long... with his fins flaired out maybe 4-5 inches... the shrimp are about the same size as of now.. i was planning to move him to his own tank as he got bigger... if i am successful with this tank then i was planning on getting another in the future...

It's time you put your lights on a timer so the tank has something approaching a natural photo period. For now you should probably run about 8 hours a day for your fish. I don't know that a longer period will harm them, but it is a unnatural to have a 15+ hour photo period in the tropics.

I want to second what Cmor said. A timer would be great as it will put your tank lighting on a stable schedule which is the way it is in the wild for them.

What about a freshwater tank having two shorter cycles during the day? I'd like to have lights come on in the morning when the family is getting up and out for the day (say 6:30 AM - 8:30 AM) and then again in the evenings when the family is back home until bedtime (say 5PM - 11 PM).

What do you think?

Last edited:
Not natural. You want it a natural amount of time. But the time it comes on and goes off can be adjusted.Get a timer and never worry about turning them on and off again.

What about having two shorter cycles during the day? I'd like to have lights come on in the morning when the family is getting up and out for the day (say 6:30 AM - 8:30 AM) and then again in the evenings when the family is back home until bedtime (say 5PM - 11 PM).

What do you think?

It doesn't matter what type of fish you have. They need a 24 hour period divided by night and day. You can change the time of night and day that they see, but it needs to be consistent and consecutive.

Back
Top Bottom