De-ionised water question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shultz

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have tried using a tap water purifier here, which hasn't worked out for me. I can't have an RO unit as I'm on a water meter & it would be way too expensive!

Is de-ionised water actually better than RO water or another form of? My wife can get proper de-ionised water in 25litre containers for a reasonable price (UK!) So I presume I can use this & just add my instant ocean salt, then air pump/heat it for a couple of days before use? I don't need big quantities of water as I only have a 30gal tank.....

One question would be it states " this water should not be used for human or animal consumption nor should it be used in anything that will be used for human or animal consumption"

this is the same for all deionised water though? & the fish don't drink it?? I also beleive right or wrongly that RO units produce deionised water?

Cheers Shelton.

My Ro has a DI so the fishies should be ok. as for the cost of water, with the limited amount you will need, you could use the waste water to wash your cloths, then you wouldn't be wasting any.

ReefRaff said:
My Ro has a DI so the fishies should be ok. as for the cost of water, with the limited amount you will need, you could use the waste water to wash your cloths, then you wouldn't be wasting any.

Trouble is with an average 5:1 RO waste to good water ratio around here (poor water quality) that would mean for the 5 gal I need I'd have 25gal of waste? Thats alot of dish water to have around, not to mention the maybe 5gal per month needed to cover evap, so thats 60gals of water a month total, I think the wife would get rid of me first............

Seriously though thanks for the thoughts, all welcome & going by the fact your RO unit has a DI filter on the end I should be ok using this container water, I figured since it should be for industry/labs it should be OK?

Cheers Shelton.

Spoke to the company today who say their water is filtered through a resin bed to remove all chemicals.

The LFS (who does ro water) said he couldn't see any reason why I can't use this water, also I got my wife to TDS an open container they have at her work place & she said it read 0 :)

Cheers Shelton.

Back
Top Bottom