dead algae removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmolavi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've got patches of dead algae on my sandbed. In the past, when i've tried to suck it up during a water change, it disturbed the bed, causing more to grow. I want to break that cycle...what's the best way to remove dead (hair) algae from the sandbed without disturbing it too much?

using tongs or your hands? It's kinda slimy and slips through fingers once it's dead

won't that just stir up the sandbed, exposing more detritus, causing more algae growth?

If your having this much stuff settle in your sand, you may want to increase your flow

You have to start somewhere. If the sand is that loaded with detritus, it should be siphoned out in small patches , the sand can be washed then returned. Get a critter that turns the sand over continuously so it doesn't happen again.

It isnt loaded...since I basically target feed everything.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I use a good ol turkey baster to remove unwanted junk from my tank works great

You can vacuum the sand using a siphon with a clear cylinder connected to it. You can set it to lift the debris and leave the heavier sand behind.

Back
Top Bottom