Dead Chaeto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm assuming my chaeto is dead. I'm not really sure why. It is getting plenty of light and I've had to trim it a couple times already.... but, it's soft and light green with a few harder parts. I've never kept chaeto in the past, so I'm assuming it should be hard like it has been for the past few months.

Do, I keep it in my fuge and hope for the best or is it pretty much dead? This is really odd.

Are other macros present in the fuge?

I have limited macro experience but from what I have seen so far cheato can be very easily out competed for nutrients when other macros are present. Namely calupra.

Stick to one macro per water volume, and watch it take off and clean up your water.

Ooooooh, could it be that I added phosBan to the return chamber of my fuge? Maybe it is just sucking up the nutrients??? I didn't really think of that.

I have a PO4 problem that my chaeto doesn't appear to be helping with - so, I added phosBan. The hair algae is clearing up, but my chaeto is dying too - I never even considered that it would drain enough nutrients away from the chaeto. Did I just solve my problem?

If so, is soft chaeto pretty much beyond repair? Maybe I should just get more once my PO4 is under control and phosban is removed (I eliminated the source and am bringing levels down now).

Back
Top Bottom