Dead fish behind rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CircleOfLinks

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys I'm just wondering what happens if a fish dies at the back of the tank behind all the rocks?

It would be hard for me to remove all the live rocks to get to it...

Reason I'm asking I've had issues in the past and have waited nearly 3months to try and get things on track and everything looks fine.

I bought 2 Chromas fish today to see how things go but just worried that is one dies in the tank if I could leave it or if I would need to take it out?

Thanks heaps

-Danny

thats my worst nightmare theres no real easy way to get it out other then pulling the rocks and removing the fish

It will depend on how big the tank is and what kind of clean up crew you have. Crabs are a good to have and so are nassarius snails.

Bristle worms are some of the best for cleaning up anything dead, I had a peppermint shrimp die and didn't get a chance to get it out before the bristle worms were all over it.

I agree. If you have a decent size tank and a good CUC you should not have to retrieve him.

My tank is about 75g...

Are there any specific types of crabs i need? Coz the type of fish i want to have are nemos, doryies etc... (sorry not sure of the exact names for them) and I don't want them to attach the fish that I wan to get, I also want to try and get a few peppermint shrimps aswell. I have about 40kgs of live rock ATM and it would be. Nightmare if I need to move them to get to a fish.

Thanks heaps guys

-Danny

Just an FYI you really shouldn't have a tang (dory) in a 75g tank. The blue hippo tang is very susceptible to ICH and really needs a larger tank to thrive.

This isn't aquarium equipment exactly but it works great for getting to those hard to reach places, without taking your tank apart.
There are these things called grabbers that people with disabilities use. I have one to reach things that fall on the floor or roll under things.
Well one day about 8 months or so ago, I had a dead fish I couldn't reach. So I cleaned my handicapped grabber, rinsed it well and reached in and gently picked up the dead fish without disturbing a thing.
I don't loose many fish anymore since joining AA but if I do I can use my 3' grabber.
If you have a deeper tank, you can get a grabber that has an extension.
You can pick one up at most drug stores or Pharmacy.
It simple, easy, and works great.

Since you are just starting out you will probably need to do a lot of research. Most people love the idea of having a "Nemo" type of stocking but there are several problems with it. They need to put a disclaimer on that movie don't attempt to do this at home.

Hermit crabs are great for CUC but they have their draw backs. They will kill a snail just to try on the shell and decide it wasn't a good fit. Emerald crabs are another good one. Sally lightfoot is a great crab until it gets a little bigger then it can go for fish.

This is a great forum to get information. There are experts on here that you can always depend on to give great information.

Welcome to AA, and as the others have mentioned you will get some great advice on here. Please make sure to do your due diligence before buying livestock. The blue hippo tang (dory fish) could not happily exist in your tank. So far though you seem to be on track, chromis are nice schooling fish, and can definitely thrive in your system.

After reading that I am pretty sure it's impossible, or close to it, to have a nemo tank. The moorish idol alone is really hard.

Your cuc will take care of it in less than a day its what they "live" for!!!! :)

Flake said:
Welcome! If your goal is the Nemo tank, Take a look at this article. You might find it helpful.

The Nemo Tank Guide

Hey great article...

Very helpful,

At the moment I don't have any cuc as all my fish died ages ago and have since pretty much let the tank re cycle and added more LR.

Are there any other fish that would go in my 75g tank apart from the ones in the article?

What nice coloured fish that grows to a max 3-4 inches that I can put with say 2nemos, 6 chromis, 2-3 gurgle, and a few CUC such as 1-2 crabs and 1-2 peppermint shrimp.

Thanks heaps everyone do appreciate it

Regards

-Danny

Ok cool...

What's the name of the fish that's eats sand and spits it back out from the side of it's mouth?

Also I've attached a pic and circled something that we spotted growing on a rock. It only comes out when the lights on, it does look different then the aptasias I had growing o I'm not sure what this is. The tentacles are a lot smaller then the aphasia and the root is a lot thicker. Anyone know what this is?

Thanks

Attachments

• image-656287231.jpg
    image-656287231.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 92
Sorry better picture quality attached

Thanks

Attachments

• image-1988348362.jpg
    image-1988348362.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 130
Back