Dead Fish in 12 hours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lizapam

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,
I have just joined this forum, heartbroken at the moment because all my boyfriends fish died this morning. We are both pretty much beginners although he's had the aquarium for 5 years now but someone else was taking care of it. Anyway, yesterday I surprised him with 5 new fish. 2 Puffers, an Empire fish, an Angel fish and one more that I don't know they name of. Since one of his existing fish had ICH 2 weeks ago he had separated all his fish into a hospital tank and was treating them there with medicine. We out the new fish in the same hospital tank and everything was fine last night when we checked. This morning they are all dead and we have no clue why! It is devastating to say the least. Does anyone have any idea how this could happen? I am sure it's because of the new fish. Any advice

Can you find out how big the hospital tank was and all the species of fish? This could help us solve the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I can't be sure about the cause but it is not advisable to add a large number of fish in a tank at the same time. The quarantine tank may not be big enough to accommodate them all. There are 2 possible things that can cause their death. An over dose of medicine and/or oxygen depletion in the tank. The stress on them can also have contributed to it.

In a med treated HT there is little or no BB. Adding 5 fish at once would have caused an increase in the likely already elevated ammonia levels.

In a med treated HT there is little or no BB. Adding 5 fish at once would have caused an increase in the likely already elevated ammonia levels.

+1 Makes sense

Hi Guys, We had different kinds like Triggers, Tangs, Angel Fish and the 2 new Puffers. Thanks for all your comments, Ingy I think you might be right although when I went back to the place I bought the new fish, the guy said that when a Puffer dies you need to remove him from the Tank right away because they release a toxin which can kill everything. Since this happened in the middle of the night we didn't see that he was dead. The medicine we were using was Paraguard. The lion fish was the only one which survived!

how many fish were in the tank originally ?
what size tank are we talking about ?
Triggers, Tangs, Angel Fish and the 2 new Puffers
all these fish are fairly large to begin with and would for sure add a major spike
triggers and puffers together is like a nightmare waiting to happen
adding new fish to a QT that already is housing fish with ick is a sure fire trip for disaster , ick takes any where from 6/10 weeks to die off and your main tank should remain fallow for that same 6/10 weeks

Back
Top Bottom