Dead fish in Daytona Beach?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sschofie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anybody know if there is a problem off the shores of Daytona Beach? I was just there getting water for my tank and I noticed a couple dead fish on the beach. Not a big problem, but I was talking to someone while I was there that had seen 10 dead fish in the water and on shore during her short visit. Now I've got 22 gallons of water that I'm afraid to use. I don't have a UV Sterilizer to clean the water with and was wondering if there was something else I could do. Should I boil the water before I use it or just leave it in the dark for a few days. My tank has been running for almost a year now and I would hate to kill my fishy friends in one shot. Thanks in advance for any help!

The way people dump in the ocean I would not be suprised. I`ve heard some say they dont use real ocean water for various reasons. I ve heard others say they use it only after sitting for a while. Those dead fish could be for many reasons. Just hard to answer your question. I guess to be safe ........

Red tide, caused by fertilizer runoff. It happens at least once a year in northern Florida.
Don't eat shellfish, they could be poisoned.

As for the water, throw it... I use water from the gulf stream off Miami (3-11mi offshore) In northern Florida the stream is from 30-120mi offshore.

I didn't think the Red Tide affected the east coast? I thought it was only in the gulf, I could be wrong I guess, but in my 10 years in FL. I've never heard of an outbreak of Red Tide on that coast!

I still wouldn't use that water.

Jermz

Back
Top Bottom