Dead Hermits, again and again...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
While ripping apart my 29 cube looking for a missing fish I ran across about 4 more dead hermits. I keep putting them in but they keep getting out of their shells and dying.

I have lots of shells for them to switch to. Parameters are 0, 0 and 5 trates. salinity 1.023, temp 80.

Could it be the salinity thats killing them? I dont keep it at a higher level cause its on FOWLR right now.

Anyone have any ideas? Thoughts? I'm feeling that I'm gonna quite buying them cause they never last. I have say 3 that are pretty big that are still alive but thats about it.

Same kind, blue legged. I just put 5 in a week ago and they are all dead already. It's like the same big 3 stay alive and the smaller ones die. I've had some big ones die off as well before this last batch I bought. I do my water changes and the water is in good shape, unless I'm not testing for something I should be.

I'm at a loss too. I'm following along hopefully someone with more experience than me will chime in.

Edit: I did just get 5 small red legged hermits. Well see if they last longer.

When I first setup my tanks I alwasy check for copper before adding livestock, you never know if the tank/rock/sand has copper leached into it.

I had the killer snail that ate all my snails if you remember that thread. lol

I know theres nothing hitched a ride in the tank, mostly had base rock in it to start and my own LR from another tank.

This just mystifies me. I can keep the scooter and the Tang alive but not some silly hermits? Thats just messed up lol

I used to hav the same problem with hermits too but I think it was my high nitrate levels that was killing them! I have 4 alive just now 3 that have been in for about 3 months and one which I added yesterday! Is it better to stay nearer 1.020 salinity for a FOWLR tank?

Fish I believe only need 1.021 or something low like that, in my coral setups I keep it at 1.026 for the corals.

Anyone have any input on the salinity needed for hermits?

Also, are there any calcium requirements for hermits? Does calcium level, alkalinity or phosphates play a role? Like shrimp for example, the need certain minerals to molt and be healthy. Is there anything liek that for the crabs?

Thanks guys, while it's not a major groundbreaking question, I'm really curious to know.

Just for fun ya think? I do have plenty of shells for them.

And ironically, I have no issues in my 125g. I have several golf ball sized hermits running around in there but I still have all the little ones. LOL
Maybe cause theres just more real estate?

that's right it at snails i remember that thread maybe it is the bigger ones snacking too

Just remembered what snail was the killer, it was a Conus snail. LOL

The one that would spear the snails and eat them and left all my shells with little harpoon holes in them. That was way intense. I returned him to the store, and I havent gotten any more. Thank good ness!

carey said:
Just remembered what snail was the killer, it was a Conus snail. LOL

The one that would spear the snails and eat them and left all my shells with little harpoon holes in them. That was way intense. I returned him to the store, and I havent gotten any more. Thank good ness!

very cool as a species only i say hm what if they dont have enough minerals like you mentioned theres just no way to test that theory

Well I know I used to use a hydrometer for checking my salt levels and when I got round to buying a refactrometer it showed my salt to be at 1.028!!! The hydrometer was saying it was at 1.022!! Bit of a difference! I can't see your salt level being an issue though! JMO but I'm a newbie so I'm not sure haha!

carey said:
Fish I believe only need 1.021 or something low like that, in my coral setups I keep it at 1.026 for the corals.

Anyone have any input on the salinity needed for hermits?

Also, are there any calcium requirements for hermits? Does calcium level, alkalinity or phosphates play a role? Like shrimp for example, the need certain minerals to molt and be healthy. Is there anything liek that for the crabs?

Thanks guys, while it's not a major groundbreaking question, I'm really curious to know.

Any livestock that molts would need proper calcium levels.That why you will normally have a shrimp molt shortly after water change.

Just a thought ,but are you sure your hermits are dead,they might just have molted and you are seeing their old body exteriors.

Other note in my situation, I have dead hermits, actual little bodies that are out of their shells. Not eaten, just dead. Would the bigger hermits torment them out of their shells or something? lol

Any livestock that molts would need proper calcium levels.That why you will normally have a shrimp molt shortly after water change.

So wait a second. I heard hermits actually molt. So could this be the issue? I'm gonna go do a calcium test now and see what I get. Anything else I should test for ya think?

carey said:
Other note in my situation, I have dead hermits, actual little bodies that are out of their shells. Not eaten, just dead. Would the bigger hermits torment them out of their shells or something? lol

i wouldn't think so do you have enough shells their next size up?

Back
Top Bottom