Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-28-2012, 06:44 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Dead lipstick tang

Came down this morning to find my lipstick tang was dead, my urchin and neon crab was eating it,,,,,, we did a 10% water change yest as my levels were as follows,,,PH-8, PHOSPHATE-0.5-1,NITRATE-10-25,NITRITE-0,AMMONIA-0,S.G-1.022....should I do another water change and need advise as I'm new to the hobby and just fear I may have over stocked to quick....

Old 10-28-2012, 08:18 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Your tank has only been set up 2 weeks correct? There shouldn't be nothing in your tank but lr. It takes 4-6 weeks for a tank to cycle. Yours probably has not even started yet. I would take all fish and corals back to where you got them, them most likely will not make it thru the cycle. 4-6 weeks for a cycle, then only a CUC, 3-5 weeks later then add 1 fish, wait 3-4 weeks before adding the second ect. Your biological filter is strained everytime you add something, it needs time to grow after each addition. So from the day you start you tank, it should be 10-12 weeks before any fish are introduced.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

The tank is in its 4th week,,, their is no corals only fish an clean up crew, I feed them every other day. I did a 10% water change yest and another 10% today. The lfs said it would be fine if we fed them every other day but won't take them back, we check our water every week and all seems well until yest hence the 10% yest. Thank you for your comment.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:54 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Keep in mind your lfs is in business to sell you everything they can, fish and corals before the tank is ready magic potions, unneeded equipment ect.,
Old 10-28-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks again for your response. In your experience do you think I'll loose every thing in the tank. Wots the best thing to do the ls all seem well and have do since they were introduced to the tank, thank again for your comments..
Old 10-28-2012, 09:46 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

About all you can do at this point is keep testing, if you get ammonia readings you will have to do water changes, but doing water changes during the cycling will slow the process down. How many and what kind of fish do you have left. Do you have anyone else that could house your fish for 2-3 weeks.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

We have 2 maroon clowns pair of common clowns (nemo) regal tang, blood shrimp, boxer shrimp 7 snails 6 crabs 1 sandsifter and a long spine sea urchin we also have around 22-25k of lr... Unfortunately nobody we know can house our fish.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:18 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

you will just have to do testing every day and be prepared for water changes. I also have a huge black spiny urchin that I have had for 8-10 years. He will eat all your Coraline when it starts to grow. Since you have none he will need fed dried seaweed, also they will not tolerate nitrates at all, if he starts to lose his spines, that is not a good sign. They are nocturnal.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:20 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANCUNIA13
We have 2 maroon clowns pair of common clowns (nemo) regal tang, blood shrimp, boxer shrimp 7 snails 6 crabs 1 sandsifter and a long spine sea urchin we also have around 22-25k of lr... Unfortunately nobody we know can house our fish.
What size is the tank? You probably shouldn't have two pairs of clowns. Especially those two. Maroons are mean and get big.

Edit; sorry to go off topic. But it seems you've rushed in too fast.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pryzz View Post
What size is the tank? You probably shouldn't have two pairs of clowns. Especially those two. Maroons are mean and get big.

Edit; sorry to go off topic. But it seems you've rushed in too fast.
He's aware of that now, he's just trying to keep everything alive till he is done cycling. LFS wont take them back and he has no one else to take them.

Tags
dead, ick, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com