Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-09-2012, 09:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
paul87's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 4,267
dead LR question.

So I have about a 2 lb piece of LR that I took out of my tank because it wad covered in that razor algae and I didn't want it spreading all over my tank. Now that it is completely dry and dead is it safe to put back in my tank? I could rinse it well but will there still be a lot of die off? Possibly an ammonia spike? Its still got a little bit of color from the coraline algae on it. What can I do to make it safe to put in my tank? Here's a pic of it now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120809_191608.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	111599
__________________

__________________

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Swiftler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 161
I would cycle it in a separate container and then transfer it into your display tank after. Just use a large enough plastic container, fill with salt water, keep it at the same temp and have a pump for circulation. Good to go after a few weeks or so.
__________________

__________________
Swiftler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
paul87's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 4,267
OK. Should I maybe wash it off with anything beforehand such as vinegar or bleach solution?? I'm sure there is some dead critters in there. Or will the cycle take care of it?
__________________

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Swiftler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 161
I heard of people using the bleach and or acid techniques, but personally I have never gone that route. Use a heavy scrubber or toothbrush, give it a good cleaning in some saltwater. If you choose to bleach make sure you soak it thoroughly to remove all traces of it afterwards. Then just let it cycle until everything reads zero consistently for a few days
__________________
Swiftler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Erie, PA
Posts: 1,102
That rock is nice! I would boil it let air dry and put back in.
__________________
jsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Madreefer420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 205
Razor ALGEA really
__________________
Madreefer420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
paul87's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 4,267
OK. Ill probably scrub it and boil it then cycle it. Thanks I really like the piece of rock too. I called it razor algae because I didn't know the proper name. I think its called razor cauplera but I don't know. I know it wad taking over and the Guy at my LFS said it will choke out corals. The root system was so deep you can't simply remove it.
__________________

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Madreefer420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 205
Oh wow sounds bizarre
__________________
Madreefer420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
crister13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Princeton, NJ
Posts: 3,473
Caulerpa does that. Won't let go and spreads like wildfire.
__________________
crister13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
paul87's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 4,267
Sitting outside in direct sun at about 100į for a few days made it let go! Lol
__________________

__________________

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dead

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.