Dead Rock Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tntfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently brought a whole set up 90 gallon tank that i now want to make a mixed reef tank the guy who sold it to me broke down the set up about a month ago nd left the rock out he got rid of the sand so all he has left is rocks they are fiji rocks about 150lbs of it but its been sitting out for a month so its all dead rock so how would i go about settin this tank up i never set a tank up with dead rock so i want to know what way would be the best way to do this

You would treat the rock as if it was base rock. If it had been exposed to the elements, I'd probably rinse it outside on a tarp with the hose to knock out ant bugs or dirt that might have gotten into it. You should be able to seed it with a few pounds of live rock.

You would treat the rock as if it was base rock. If it had been exposed to the elements, I'd probably rinse it outside on a tarp with the hose to knock out ant bugs or dirt that might have gotten into it. You should be able to seed it with a few pounds of live rock.

im def going to rinse it off to rinse off any dead stuff on the rock nd junk but should i just go to the LFS and buy some live rock i dont really trust the LFS store out here because alot of the fish have alot of sickness so if i do end up getting the LR from the LFs how would i go about riddin it of hazardous stuff or should i rinse the rock put it in the tank with the unseeded sand and then add the LR and the bad stuff should die down by doing water changes nd stuff

About the only thing you might worry about with live rock from a disreputable source would be parasites. If you add the live rock and wait about six weeks before adding any fish, you should be okay as the parasites will die without a host in that timeframe.

Back
Top Bottom