dead snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msamsonz28

Aquarium Advice Activist
i had a snail die today. should i take it out or is it okay to just leave it in and someone else can use his shell eventually? clean up crew includes 10 hermits and 4 other snails.

It's up to you. The hermits will clean it up and recycle the shell, but if it's a small system, you might want to remove it.

Well now I have two more dead snails. Both in the last two days. Just tested my water and parameters are:
ammo .25ppm
trates 20ppm
trites 0 ppm
pH 8.0
sg 1.022
temp 78F
Are my parameters bad enough to cause three snails to die? I'm sure it's not a coincidence that they all died so close together. The other issue I am concerned about is there is a cloudy film on top of the water, which is where the snails liked to hang out. I have a powerhead on the right side pointed toward the top middle and it keeps the film over on the left side. Any idea what is causing this? You can actually see the film in the picture.
I plan on doing a 10% pwc tonight. I assume I will need more to bring the NO3 down. But I only have 5g of sw ready to go right now. Help please!!!

Attachments

• aquarium_061_277.jpg
    aquarium_061_277.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 75
I'd keep doing water changes to keep the ammonia down. How long have you had the snails? How did you acclimate them?

How long have you had your tank set up? Where the snails caught upside down? Some snails can not flip themselves over and if they fall off the glass or rock, will starve and get eaten by other inverts.

tripper

I have that problem with my regular Turbo's ... they are clumsy! I feel like I'm forever flipping them with my wooden dowel rod I have ... I flip them and bam their right back on track!

Well actually they were flipped over. I didn't even think of that. However they were definitely dead because I set them right side up and they never moved after that. Could they have perished over the course of 24 hours? And this is the first time I have found them like that in the 6 or so weeks I've had them. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Back
Top Bottom