Dead spot questions, sand sifters or increase water flow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

More Water Flow or buy Sand Shifters?

• Sand Shifters

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Fishboy-from-NY

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hell everyone, I got another poll question for you all. I am in the process of upgrading my tank and was wondering what should I do in order to control the green slime algae, dead spots and waste to be collecting in the sand bed, do I go with sand shifters or increase the water flow. also, let me know how you solved this problem in your tank since I know that it a problem everyone had to face once in their life.

Current pump:

1-Iwaki external 900 GPH- Powers my wet/dry
1-Mag 5 Pump-300 GPH- Powers my UV & Nitrate Filter
1-Mag 5 Pump-300 GPH--Powers my Refugium

ALSO, I KNOW THIS IS IMPORTANT WHEN THINKING ABOUT SAND SHIFTERs, Here are the current fish in my tank:

Current fish in the my 130G Tank:
1 Humu Trigger
1 Niger Trigger
1 Yellow Tang
1 Purple Tang
1 Green Bird Wrasse
1 Ghost Eel
1 Snowflake Eel
1 Watchman Goby
9 3 Stripe damsels

Also, please let me know if anyone has actual set ups that they can disclose to me that has help them battle this nasty algae.

Sometimes I feel that my fish play golf everyday since it does get nasty like that sometimes, I have been albe to control some of the growth with a Marc Weiss product called a Phosphate & Silicate magnet. Also, I have alll the tools that sould prevent this from coming from my tap water:

130G SW F/O
1-Ehiem 2217 Filters-for circulation and media.
1-EcoAqualizor 125 Magnet Filter.
1-Maxi Reef 200 Wet/Dry Filter with Bio Balls.
1-125 Watt Sterilizer-Pentair Aquatics.
1-Nature Reef CDEX-3 Nitrate & Phophate filter
1-Kent Natilus TE Skimmer.
1-JBJ Arctica 1/3hp Drop-in Chiller.
1-20G Refugium with Macro Algae.
1-30G Hospital Tank and Algae Harvesting.

The reason why, I voted for sand shifter is that they would add more life to my tank, but I have a fear that the fish I have may eat some of them, let me know guys.

Seems like some of both would be called for - maybe you should add another option in your poll. :wink:

Looks like you have tons of water turn-over from your filtration pumps, but does any of that translate into wave action throughout the tank? If not, a couple of power heads may be in order. As far as sand sifters, I want some just cause their so funny to watch. :jump:

I looked in your galery for a pic of tank. You may need to re arange lr to get rid of dead spots. You could also get a few ph or scwd to move more water around. What dou you have in the tank for a cleanup crew now?

As long as your using sand shifters instead of sand sifters they will help. The problem is that they are only a bandaide. Algae problems or Cyno bacteria are a result of something else (obviously). If your having a problem with green slime algae I would first look at your parameters to see what the potential problem may be. Trates are the cause most of the time. You can also look at PO4 and possibly the type of sand you have used. If it contains cilicates then it can cause algae problems as well.

I always try to remind people that the long term solution is to fix the problem..not hide it. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom