Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-28-2003, 02:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Pinkminxx08
Deadly Chocolate Chip Starfish?

My adult CCS died a year ago, so I decided to get a new one. I just introduced a new CCS to my tank. I've had the tank for 3 years and haven't had problems like this before. The new CCS was brought in yesterday and is doing just fine, however I woke up to find my Spotted Mandarin, Yellow Fin Blue Damsel, Yellow Damsel, and Lizzard fish dead this morning. Those fish have survived in this tank for 3 years, 2 of which they were with an adult CCS so I am wondering if the new CCS had anything to do with them dying. Can CCS emit harmful chemicals? I doubt it attacked the fish. Please help.

Old 04-28-2003, 03:02 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
however I woke up to find my Spotted Mandarin, Yellow Fin Blue Damsel, Yellow Damsel, and Lizzard fish dead this morning
That just sucks!! I'm sorry for your loss. I am unfamiliar with the lizard fish, do you have a pic, or a scientific name? Did you test the water, if so what were the results? I have never heard or a CCS being toxic, but I suppose it could have stressed out something that was, like a cucumber maybe??

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 03:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Here is a pic of the lizzard fish. I'm not sure what their scientific name is but they are pretty hardy fish and have been fine for 3 years until now. My water levels and temps are all within normal ranges and I don't have any cucumbers or anything like that...I am really stumped about this whole episode.
Old 04-28-2003, 03:43 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Did you test the water? What were the readings, I am unfamiliar with the fish in the pic so I have no idea whether it could have released a toxin and killed the other fish. I have pm'd someone that is very knowledgable on starfish and hopefully they will get bck with me.

Old 04-28-2003, 04:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Yes I tested the water. Ph: 8.2, Alk: 2.2milli equivalents/liter, Ammonia: .10ppm, Nitrite: .05ppm, Nitrate:.8ppm. I'm not a big chemistry buff but I've been using this kit for a long time and those readings are pretty normal for what I usually get.
Old 04-28-2003, 04:55 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Well, the first thing I would poit to would be the ammonia, but if that is a normal reading then I would suggest that you have the results verified and either buy a new kit or do a water change.

Old 04-28-2003, 04:58 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Will do. I have had the kit for some time so maybe the chemicals aren't as accurate as they used to be. Please let me know if the star expert you PM'd has any info on the posibility of the CCS having bothered the fish I lost. Thanks for your help.
Old 04-28-2003, 05:51 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to roadster3043 Send a message via MSN to roadster3043 Send a message via Yahoo to roadster3043
Greetings.

I have read that CCS are not reef safe.

Do you have any corals or inverts in your tank?

Anything else missing? corals? inverts?

JuanMa
roadster3043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 06:48 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
That is horrible, I hate to think that a CC starfish is killing out of pleasure and not for food. I do not think that is in their nature. We definitely need to help figure out what this was.
Old 04-28-2003, 07:15 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

No, I don't have any other corals or inverts in the tank to be missing. I don't think the star attacked any of the fish that were dead because he wasn't moving around a lot and was in the same general location of the tank that he was in last night. Just roaming around the rocks eating algae. I just wondered if CCS can emit any kind of toxins that may have fouled the water for the other fish. I still have 6 fish in the tank that have survived and are feeding regularly, I just don't know what happened to the other 4. If one of my larger fish (the trigger maybe?) killed them wouldn't it have tried to eat one of them? When I took them out there weren't any bite marks or anything. I've changed a good percentage of the water so hopefully the others will make it. If anymore die should I quarantine the remaining fish away from the star for a while in a seperate salt tank or just take my chances?

Tags
chi, chocolate chip starfish, dead, starfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com